Question about Space Between Lines Of Text within Tables

Alex

For eons, I've been wondering how to get the html text to look as
neat as you see on commercial sites.

The problem I have, is that there always seems to be some extra
space between the lines, expecially within tables, and I can't find
what the problem is.

http://www.martialhub.com/chinese_external/chinese_kungfu.html

For instance, the text:

Shaolin Kung Fu -
Fundamental Training
by dr. Yang Jwing Ming

at the top of my page seems to have extra space between it.

It looks like:

Shaolin Kung Fu -

Fundamental Training

by dr. Yang Jwing Ming

So my question is, how can I remedy this?

I'm using Netscape Composer to do the html work.

Alex

Steve Pugh

Alex said:
For eons, I've been wondering how to get the html text to look as
neat as you see on commercial sites.

Have you tried looking at the source of those sites?
The problem I have, is that there always seems to be some extra
space between the lines, expecially within tables, and I can't find
what the problem is.

http://www.martialhub.com/chinese_external/chinese_kungfu.html

For instance, the text:

Shaolin Kung Fu -
Fundamental Training
by dr. Yang Jwing Ming

at the top of my page seems to have extra space between it.

So my question is, how can I remedy this?

Yikes, what cute retro coding!

The text is smaller than default, but the lines are still the same
size as default, hence larger spaces between the lines of text. Um,
that could have been clearer.

Even with <font> markup (why? It's 2004, not 1996) you would get the
effect you want by simplifying the above to:

And it will save bandwidth as well.

But even better would be to use CSS for presentation instead.

Steve

Alex

Steve Pugh said:
Have you tried looking at the source of those sites?

Yikes, what cute retro coding!

The text is smaller than default, but the lines are still the same
size as default, hence larger spaces between the lines of text. Um,
that could have been clearer.

Even with <font> markup (why? It's 2004, not 1996) you would get the
effect you want by simplifying the above to:

And it will save bandwidth as well.

Absolutely. Thanks a lot - some of the fog starts to lift.

The reason I'm still using Netscape Composer is because
I'm used to it. However, if someone knows a cleaner
wysiwyg editor, let me know.

Also, how would you untangle:

color="#FF0000"><font size=-2>What
href="http://www.martialhub.com/whatis/whatis_pencak_silat.html">Pencak
href="http://www.martialhub.com/whatis/whatis_tai_chi.html">Tai

The problem here is that there are multiple <font > tags. You leave
one or two out and the rest don't seem to work anymore (I tried).

Alex

Steve Pugh

Alex said:
Also, how would you untangle:

color="#FF0000"><font size=-2>What
href="http://www.martialhub.com/whatis/whatis_pencak_silat.html">Pencak
href="http://www.martialhub.com/whatis/whatis_tai_chi.html">Tai

Do exactly the same as before - all the triplets of font elements are
identical so they can all be combined into a single element.

<b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color="#FF0000"
size="-2">
What Is...<br>
<a
href="http://www.martialhub.com/whatis/whatis_pencak_silat.html">Pencak
Silat</a><br>
Chi</a><br>
<a
href="http://www.martialhub.com/whatis/whatis_karate.html">Karate</a>

But once again I would urge you to learn CSS and ditch the font
element altogether.

Steve

Whitecrest

The reason I'm still using Netscape Composer is because
I'm used to it. However, if someone knows a cleaner
wysiwyg editor, let me know.

Not a WYSIWYG editor, but HTML-kit (free) is pretty good, as is TopStyle
(lite version = free) We use topstyle when ever we don't use Dreamweaver
(I personally like the type-ahead help in Topstyle is better than DW's )

Alex

Steve Pugh said:
Do exactly the same as before - all the triplets of font elements are
identical so they can all be combined into a single element.

<b><font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" color="#FF0000"
size="-2">
What Is...<br>
<a
href="http://www.martialhub.com/whatis/whatis_pencak_silat.html">Pencak
Silat</a><br>
Chi</a><br>
<a
href="http://www.martialhub.com/whatis/whatis_karate.html">Karate</a>

But once again I would urge you to learn CSS and ditch the font
element altogether.

Thanks for the advice. Personally, I like to have as few
modern scripts going on at my site. Javascript, java,
vbscript etc. seem to slow things down. I also like
to keep things compatible with older browsers.

Alex