Question about sstream compatibility with standard library on FreeBSD

Discussion in 'C++' started by Charles Prince, Dec 6, 2004.

  1. We have found out recently that when our original code was written by the
    original team of developers, they incorporated a sstream header that was
    crafted by GNU for a situation where the system library did not provide
    the beast.

    Now we have found this issue, we have used the sstream header supplied by
    the system.

    Firstly we hit a problem where the original coders were coding around a
    bug in the ctor.

    Having solved that problem we then went on to analyse the differences
    between the original sstream and the current FreeBSD supplied one. We are
    now concerned over the inefficiency of the overflow method which
    repeatedly deletes and reallocated the buffer each time the buffer is
    extended by one character.

    I have seen various postings on the net about this problem but no
    particular fix by GNU though I accept that this may just be bad google'ing
    on my part :(

    So my question on this subject is, what is the thinking by GNU on this
    issue. Does the current sstream use a buffer increment larger than one
    byte?

    TIA,
    Pep.
    Charles Prince, Dec 6, 2004