Question about standard library and Net::IMAP.

Steve [RubyTalk]

As a first-steps project in Ruby I've opted to write a simple daemon
that registers an IMAP connection to my mail-server and waits for a
remote mail clients to manually report spams which evade my spamassassin
configuration (by moving it to a specific folder) before reporting it
using "spamassassin -r" and placing the mail among my other
automatically filtered spam.

I've made good initial progress using the Net::IMAP support in the
standard library - until I realised that I don't really want to poll to
see if new messages are in the the 'report-spam' folder... rather I want
to use the "IDLE" command (RFC 2177) in order not to unnecessarily load
my mail server, or introduce long delays between polls. I can't see a
way to do this using Net::IMAP... am I overlooking something in the
documentation? Is there a simple way to extend Net::IMAP in order to
support the IDLE command? Is there a newer version of the standard
library which has this support (I'm using Ruby 1.8.2)?

Thanks for any pointers...

Steve