question about streaming audio and websites

Discussion in 'HTML' started by W. K. Mahler, Nov 18, 2003.

  1. W. K. Mahler

    W. K. Mahler Guest

    hi,

    i've been to many a site that upon the full load of the first page, i
    immediatly hear audio and it is usually a song in full. there is no start
    or stop buttons and after looking at the source, i find that is usually a
    ..wav. i've tried building a page similar in the past but even using my own
    domain and dsl account at the time, the .wav would take forever do load and
    would slow the page down from fully loading. i'm using front page 2000 and
    i'm not about to go and purchase any new microsoft products, the prices are
    too high and i cannot afford much else as of this moment to use as a addon
    for front page for streaming audio. other than who is responsible for
    hosting my domain, www.gisol.com i'm not about to give my material to
    another company to host on their site so my site can have my audio with the
    option to start and stop the audio.

    any ideas?

    w. k. mahler
    www.mahlers.com

    wkmahler

    wkmahler

    W. K. Mahler, Nov 18, 2003

  2. W. K. Mahler

    Spartanicus Guest

    <>

    No need for the above junk, remove please.

    >i've been to many a site that upon the full load of the first page, i
    >immediatly hear audio and it is usually a song in full.

    Terrible isn't it, it's in the top ten of user irritations, never ever
    start media without the user having requested it.

    >there is no start
    >or stop buttons and after looking at the source, i find that is usually a
    >.wav.

    Wav is a wrapper format, it can contain any compression format known to
    man: http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/proprietary_media_formats.htm

    >i've tried building a page similar in the past

    You actually want to unleash more of that crap onto the net?

    >but even using my own
    >domain and dsl account at the time, the .wav would take forever do load and
    >would slow the page down from fully loading.

    Not if the media is properly compressed and streaming is initiated:
    http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm

    >i'm using front page 2000

    For &#deity's sake why are you using software that produces such
    terrible code?

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Nov 18, 2003

  3. W. K. Mahler

    Roseb441702 Guest

    >hi,
    >
    >i've been to many a site that upon the full load of the first page, i
    >immediatly hear audio and it is usually a song in full. there is no start
    >or stop buttons and after looking at the source, i find that is usually a
    >.wav. i've tried building a page similar in the past but even using my own
    >domain and dsl account at the time, the .wav would take forever do load and
    >would slow the page down from fully loading. i'm using front page 2000 and
    >i'm not about to go and purchase any new microsoft products, the prices are
    >too high and i cannot afford much else as of this moment to use as a addon
    >for front page for streaming audio. other than who is responsible for
    >hosting my domain, www.gisol.com i'm not about to give my material to
    >another company to host on their site so my site can have my audio with the
    >option to start and stop the audio.
    >
    >any ideas?

    I have 3 different types of music files on my pages. One plays while the page
    is loading

    http://members.aol.com/Roseb44170/home.htm.

    and it is a .wav file. And you're quite right - a .wav file can be very large
    in size. You may want to try to convert it into something that is smaller in
    size ie an .mp3

    There is also another music file on my home page that only plays if someone
    clicks on the link. This one is a midi file which is still a large file but
    not as large as the .wav file.

    Rose
    ******
    Not getting enough traffic to your website?
    Visit my "ShoutOut" page at:

    http://members.aol.com/Roseb441702/shoutout.htm

    Roseb441702, Nov 20, 2003