question about tar in Ruby

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Ghelani, Vidhi, Feb 17, 2005.

  1. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C51518.4E382332

    Hi,=20

    =20

    I am trying to package a .tar.gz file using ruby. I have packaged a
    tar file using the same ruby code and it works perfectly fine. However,
    when I use the same code for a .tar.gz file, it give me an error while
    trying to open it . It says that this is not a tar file. I know I need
    to change something in my ruby code.=20

    There are a few things that I changed i.e. 1) the extension from .tar to
    tar.gz

    However there is a command at the end of the code which does=20

    Tar -cf #.tar.gz file # a folder which contains the
    install and license and everything to do with this file.

    =20

    Now I know that I need to change the above code, since this is not a tar
    file. Does anyone know wot to do ??

    =20

    Any help is appreciated,

    Thanx,

    Vidhi.

    =20

    =20

    ------_=_NextPart_001_01C51518.4E382332--
    Ghelani, Vidhi, Feb 17, 2005

  2. Ghelani, Vidhi wrote:

    >Hi,
    >

    >I am trying to package a .tar.gz file using ruby. I have packaged a
    >.tar file using the same ruby code and it works perfectly fine. However,
    >when I use the same code for a .tar.gz file, it give me an error while
    >trying to open it . It says that this is not a tar file. I know I need
    >to change something in my ruby code.
    >
    >There are a few things that I changed i.e. 1) the extension from .tar to
    >.tar.gz
    >
    >However there is a command at the end of the code which does
    >
    > Tar -cf #.tar.gz file # a folder which contains the
    >install and license and everything to do with this file.
    >

    >Now I know that I need to change the above code, since this is not a tar
    >file. Does anyone know wot to do ??
    >

    >Any help is appreciated,
    >
    >Thanx,
    >
    >Vidhi.

    change tar -cf #.tar.gz file to tar -czf #.tar.gz file

    --
    David
    David N. Springer, Feb 17, 2005

  3. On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 02:44:33 +0900, Ghelani, Vidhi
    <> wrote:
    > I am trying to package a .tar.gz file using ruby. I have packaged a
    > .tar file using the same ruby code and it works perfectly fine. However,
    > when I use the same code for a .tar.gz file, it give me an error while
    > trying to open it . It says that this is not a tar file. I know I need
    > to change something in my ruby code.
    >
    > There are a few things that I changed i.e. 1) the extension from .tar to
    > .tar.gz
    >
    > However there is a command at the end of the code which does
    >
    > Tar -cf #.tar.gz file # a folder which contains the
    > install and license and everything to do with this file.
    >
    > Now I know that I need to change the above code, since this is not a tar
    > file. Does anyone know wot to do ??

    Yes. Look at Archive::Tar::Minitar on RubyForge under the Ruwiki project.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler *
    * Alternate: