Question about the Animation Demonstration at ASP.Net AJAX ControlToolkit site

Jay

The animation demonstration at the ASP.Net AJAX Control Toolkit
site shows a "flyout" panel with a "close" control. The
demo is quite good.

See
http://www.asp.net/AJAX/AjaxControlToolkit/Samples/Animation/Animation.aspx

Unfortunately, the author did not supply much information
about how this was implemented. The "flyout" target
control was a <div> tag which may have been created
from an <asp:panel> control, but the author did
not bother to say! A few things can be
learned by viewing the source code underneath.
A Javascript function called Cover is invoked
somewhere, but again, the author(s) did not see
fit to document their demo.

It is a dramatic demo, but what on earth was
the point of presenting it without adequate
documentation?

Does anyone know where there is better documentation
about this particular demo? I already know how to
make the AnimationExtender work. What I can't
make work is the blasted demo with the flying
effect and "cover-up" of other layers.

And if I sound crabby, I still wish all a great
holiday.

Jim

Did you try looking at:http://www.asp.net/AJAX/AjaxControlToolkit/Samples/Walkthrough/Animat...,
which is referenced in the URL you posted?

-Scott

Of course I did. What you referenced is a description of methods and
properties
of the AnimationExtender. (See for yourself.) It does not refer to
the demo.

Is there anyone here who has actually *built* the demo who knows
where
a description of the "flying" and "cover" effects is described? It
might be
a place with a hyperlink like "Download Code" that the author
inadvertently
omitted... or I overlooked.

Understand that I'm asking questions about a fairly complex demo,
and I'm not looking for generalities by people who have no
experience with *the demo*.

Scott M.

Well, it's too bad that you are so quick to criticize, instead of just
reading what's been presented to you.

Animiation is the root of many different effects and controls in the ACT and
understanding it will help you understand how many controls work.

I can find information on what you are asking about in this link:
http://www.asp.net/AJAX/AjaxControlToolkit/Samples/Walkthrough/UsingAnimations.aspx.

And, of course, as germ pointed out, there's no reason you can download the
ACT along with the EXACT demo you are asking about. Then, you can pick the
demo apart and see what's happening for yourself. But, in order to do that,
you are going to have to READ.

Happy Holidays to you too!

[...]

Gregory A. Beamer

Unfortunately, the author did not supply much information
about how this was implemented.

If is found in the tutorial:
http://snurl.com/tw046

There is also this one:
http://snurl.com/tw04m

There are more AJAX tutorials here:
http://www.asp.net/learn/Ajax/default.aspx

Google "ASP.NET AJAX" Animation tutorial if these are not adequate
enough:
http://snurl.com/tw05g [www_google_com]

There are a few videos that are rather nice on the site, if those are
your preferred method. On hte ASP.NET site, most, if not all, have
source code.

Peace and Grace,

--
Gregory A. Beamer (MVP)

Twitter: @gbworld

| Think outside the box! |

Gregory A. Beamer

the real answer though is to download the toolkit source - it includes
the source code for the toolkit samples site -
http://ajaxcontroltoolkit.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?Rel
easeId=33804#DownloadId=85830

There is also a plethora of tutorials on the ASP.NET site that are useful,
including video tutorials with source code.

Peace and Grace,

--
Gregory A. Beamer (MVP)

Twitter: @gbworld

| Think outside the box! |

Jay

On that page, in the flyout itself, hover over the "show" and "close"
keywords - the source for the animation is displayed.  Whether the div was
originally a panel or anything else is I think irrelevant.

the real answer though is to download the toolkit source - it includes the
source code for the toolkit samples site -http://ajaxcontroltoolkit.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?R...

Gerry

Greg,

Sorry about my earlier response. I was well aware of the
source code, and have designed a number of
features that use AJAX Toolkit controls. The problem
was that the AnimationExtender demo has a mistake
in one place which prevents the "flying" movement.
Found and corrected. In the end though I didn't
really care for animation and used a popup.

Happy 2010!