Question about the Animation Demonstration at ASP.Net AJAX ControlToolkit site

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jay, Dec 26, 2009.

  1. Jay

    Jay Guest

    The animation demonstration at the ASP.Net AJAX Control Toolkit
    site shows a "flyout" panel with a "close" control. The
    demo is quite good.

    See
    http://www.asp.net/AJAX/AjaxControlToolkit/Samples/Animation/Animation.aspx

    Unfortunately, the author did not supply much information
    about how this was implemented. The "flyout" target
    control was a <div> tag which may have been created
    from an <asp:panel> control, but the author did
    not bother to say! A few things can be
    learned by viewing the source code underneath.
    A Javascript function called Cover is invoked
    somewhere, but again, the author(s) did not see
    fit to document their demo.

    It is a dramatic demo, but what on earth was
    the point of presenting it without adequate
    documentation?

    Does anyone know where there is better documentation
    about this particular demo? I already know how to
    make the AnimationExtender work. What I can't
    make work is the blasted demo with the flying
    effect and "cover-up" of other layers.

    And if I sound crabby, I still wish all a great
    holiday.

    Jay, Dec 26, 2009

  2. Jay

    Scott M. Guest

    Re: Question about the Animation Demonstration at ASP.Net AJAX Control Toolkit site

    Did you try looking at:
    http://www.asp.net/AJAX/AjaxControlToolkit/Samples/Walkthrough/AnimationReference.aspx,
    which is referenced in the URL you posted?

    -Scott

    Scott M., Dec 26, 2009

  3. Jay

    Jim Guest

    On Dec 25, 7:56 pm, "Scott M." <> wrote:
    > Did you try looking at:http://www.asp.net/AJAX/AjaxControlToolkit/Samples/Walkthrough/Animat...,
    > which is referenced in the URL you posted?
    >
    > -Scott

    Of course I did. What you referenced is a description of methods and
    properties
    of the AnimationExtender. (See for yourself.) It does not refer to
    the demo.

    Is there anyone here who has actually *built* the demo who knows
    where
    a description of the "flying" and "cover" effects is described? It
    might be
    a place with a hyperlink like "Download Code" that the author
    inadvertently
    omitted... or I overlooked.

    Understand that I'm asking questions about a fairly complex demo,
    and I'm not looking for generalities by people who have no
    experience with *the demo*.
    Jim, Dec 26, 2009
  4. Jay

    germ Guest

    Re: Question about the Animation Demonstration at ASP.Net AJAX Control Toolkit site

    On that page, in the flyout itself, hover over the "show" and "close"
    keywords - the source for the animation is displayed. Whether the div was
    originally a panel or anything else is I think irrelevant.

    the real answer though is to download the toolkit source - it includes the
    source code for the toolkit samples site -
    http://ajaxcontroltoolkit.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=33804#DownloadId=85830

    Gerry

    germ, Dec 26, 2009
  5. Jay

    Scott M. Guest

    Re: Question about the Animation Demonstration at ASP.Net AJAX Control Toolkit site

    Well, it's too bad that you are so quick to criticize, instead of just
    reading what's been presented to you.

    Animiation is the root of many different effects and controls in the ACT and
    understanding it will help you understand how many controls work.

    I can find information on what you are asking about in this link:
    http://www.asp.net/AJAX/AjaxControlToolkit/Samples/Walkthrough/UsingAnimations.aspx.

    And, of course, as germ pointed out, there's no reason you can download the
    ACT along with the EXACT demo you are asking about. Then, you can pick the
    demo apart and see what's happening for yourself. But, in order to do that,
    you are going to have to READ.

    Happy Holidays to you too!

    Scott M., Dec 26, 2009
  6. Re: Question about the Animation Demonstration at ASP.Net AJAX Control Toolkit site

    Jay <> wrote in news:93206f52-110f-4575-8613-
    :

    > Unfortunately, the author did not supply much information
    > about how this was implemented.

    If is found in the tutorial:
    http://snurl.com/tw046

    There is also this one:
    http://snurl.com/tw04m

    There are more AJAX tutorials here:
    http://www.asp.net/learn/Ajax/default.aspx

    Google "ASP.NET AJAX" Animation tutorial if these are not adequate
    enough:
    http://snurl.com/tw05g [www_google_com]

    There are a few videos that are rather nice on the site, if those are
    your preferred method. On hte ASP.NET site, most, if not all, have
    source code.

    Peace and Grace,

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer (MVP)

    Twitter: @gbworld

    | Think outside the box! |
    Gregory A. Beamer, Dec 28, 2009
  7. Re: Question about the Animation Demonstration at ASP.Net AJAX Control Toolkit site

    "germ" <> wrote in

    > the real answer though is to download the toolkit source - it includes
    > the source code for the toolkit samples site -
    > http://ajaxcontroltoolkit.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?Rel
    > easeId=33804#DownloadId=85830

    There is also a plethora of tutorials on the ASP.NET site that are useful,
    including video tutorials with source code.

    Peace and Grace,

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer (MVP)

    Twitter: @gbworld

    | Think outside the box! |
    Gregory A. Beamer, Dec 28, 2009
  8. Jay

    Jay Guest

    On Dec 26 2009, 8:49 am, "germ" <> wrote:
    > On that page, in the flyout itself, hover over the "show" and "close"
    > keywords - the source for the animation is displayed.  Whether the div was
    > originally a panel or anything else is I think irrelevant.
    >
    > the real answer though is to download the toolkit source - it includes the
    > source code for the toolkit samples site -http://ajaxcontroltoolkit.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?R...
    >
    > Gerry
    >
    > "Jay" <> wrote in message

    > > The animation demonstration at the ASP.Net AJAX Control Toolkit
    > > site shows a "flyout" panel with a "close" control.  The
    > > demo is quite good.

    > > See
    > >http://www.asp.net/AJAX/AjaxControlToolkit/Samples/Animation/Animatio...

    > > Unfortunately, the author did not supply much information
    > > about how this was implemented.  The "flyout" target
    > > control was a <div> tag which may have been created
    > > from an <asp:panel> control, but the author did
    > > not bother to say!  A few things can be
    > > learned by viewing the source code underneath.
    > > A Javascript function called Cover is invoked
    > > somewhere, but again, the author(s) did not see
    > > fit to document their demo.

    > > It is a dramatic demo, but what on earth was
    > > the point of presenting it without adequate
    > > documentation?

    > > Does anyone know where there is better documentation
    > > about this particular demo?  I already know how to
    > > make the AnimationExtender work.  What I can't
    > > make work is the blasted demo with the flying
    > > effect and "cover-up" of other layers.

    > > And if I sound crabby, I still wish all a great
    > > holiday.

    > > J-

    Greg,

    Sorry about my earlier response. I was well aware of the
    source code, and have designed a number of
    features that use AJAX Toolkit controls. The problem
    was that the AnimationExtender demo has a mistake
    in one place which prevents the "flying" movement.
    Found and corrected. In the end though I didn't
    really care for animation and used a popup.

    Happy 2010!
    Jay, Jan 2, 2010