Question about throttling the number of webservice calls from a .NETwebsite

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Simon Roust, Apr 16, 2010.

  1. Simon Roust

    Simon Roust Guest

    Hi, I'm currently designing a website which will be showing some
    course results to students at the end of their course. One of the
    options we want to give them is the ability to download a PDF version of
    their "result letter" (rather than posting it out to them, so saving
    money). The PDF will be generated on request for those students who
    want it by calling a webservice residing on another server, this will
    probably take a few seconds to execute (the data will have to be
    retrieved from the database, suitably formatted and some PDF template
    stuff executed to generate the PDF document).

    We are a bit worried about overloading our PDF generation server with
    requests (as we get a big peak load from students when we release the
    student results as students are naturally anxious to see how they did),
    unfortunately we don't have the option of spreading out the release of
    results gradually.

    So we'd like to build in a mechanism to throttle the number of
    simultaneous webservice calls we make from the website. (the exact
    number of requests will be determined when we see what sort of impact
    they have on the server when we do some volume testing). It has been
    deemed acceptable to give the user a "Sorry we are busy, please try
    again later." message when we run out of capacity.

    Can anybody give me some advice on how we can best manage the number of
    concurrent requests we're making to the webservice. I think I'll need
    to keep some sort of reference counting to count how many asp.net
    threads have started a call to the webservice and how many have
    completed. Or is there an easier / better option? We don't really
    want to just limit the number of webserver asp.net threads as we'd like
    to keep serving "simple pages" to other clients even when we're "busy".

    The website will be developed using ASP.NET 2.0 + Visual Studio 2005
    (or perhaps VS 2008 targeting the .NET 2.0 framework).

    Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

    Kind regards,

    Simon
    Simon Roust, Apr 16, 2010

  2. Simon Roust

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Re: Question about throttling the number of webservice calls froma .NET website

    <http://www.devproconnections.com/article/net-framework2/concurrency-and-throttling-configurations-for-wcf-services.aspx>
    Mr. Arnold, Apr 16, 2010