Question about Web Control Browser Compatibility

Andrea Williams

Before I totally commit to using the Web Controls vs. the HTML controls, I
would like some feedback on what browsers support the web controls and are
they supported completely in each browser version. I had heard a rumor
somewhere that the drop down list control had issues in one of the Netscape
4.7 versions, I think. Does anyone know what the behavior is and is it
possible to work around whatever the problem(s) may be?

I'm currenlty putting together a new application, and it needs to be
compatible with at least 4.0 + browsers. Has anyone done some hard testing
to make sure the controls are all working using VS.NET 2003 and Framework
1.1?

Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to give.

Andrea

Alessandro Zifiglio

hi Andrea,
I'd go ahead and use the web controls. If you are not using them then you
are missing out on a whole lot of features and most of the power and
flexibility of .net.

To answer you question, i think all web controls produce HTML version 3.2
for downlevel browsers however i cannot confirm.
So if something werent working in netscape 4.7 it can only be because
netscape 4.7 has issues and it is non compliant with the standards.

I'd go ahead and use the webcontrols. The experience is wonderful. To use
html controls in my opinion is to go back to classic asp style . . .I have
known a lot of people that had only used html controls in their vast
projects and had a very hard time doing maintainence, making changes etc.

Plus whatever issues are involved with webcontrols, they are always being
fixed and improved in the latest versions to the framework and you get this
improvement at no additional work having to be done by you. WebControls is
the way to go :)