Question: Any idea of midi programming ?

Michael

Hi,
I'm looking for any source-code example, showing the use of midi sequencer
and midi messages in C++.
Which files have to be included ?

I wrote a tool in JAVA which has bad timing problems especially whith
WindowsXP and hope to find a solution in C++.

Can anyone recommend some good books or websites about the topic ?

Thanks in advance.
Michael.

Victor Bazarov

Michael said:
Hi,
I'm looking for any source-code example, showing the use of midi sequencer
and midi messages in C++.
Which files have to be included ?

The Standard C++ (the only subject of this newsgroup) has no means
of programming a midi sequencer. You will have to use some kind of
a special library. Such library (since it has nothing to do with
the Standard C++) would be off-topic here. You might want to try
asking in a newsgroup dedicated to your platform. I recommend
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer. Another possible source of info is
a newsgroup with 'midi' in its name.

Victor

Kevin Buffardi

Sure, it's a valid topic for this newsgroup. It's comp.lang.c++ NOT
comp.lang.c++.standard .

I know there are some C++ libraries out there. Check out STK (Synthesis
ToolKit) I think it may have some MIDI capabilities.

Victor Bazarov

Kevin Buffardi said:
Sure, it's a valid topic for this newsgroup. It's comp.lang.c++ NOT
comp.lang.c++.standard .

I don't want to go into a lengthy discussion about the topicality
of this newsgroup with you. Check http://groups.google.com to
satisfy your curiousity. Here is a hint, though: it's comp.LANG.c++,
not comp.HOWDOIPROGRAMWHATEVERUSING.c++.

Kevin Buffardi

I don't want to go into a lengthy discussion about the topicality
of this newsgroup with you. Check http://groups.google.com to
satisfy your curiousity. Here is a hint, though: it's comp.LANG.c++,
not comp.HOWDOIPROGRAMWHATEVERUSING.c++.

The newsgroup serves discussion of a programming language. Naturally,
people are going to want to know how to implement the language in different
manners. More or less, Michael was asking what libraries were available to
help him in what he wanted to do. I don't see any reason why he should get
any blame for doing this. Similarly, he should be able to post the same
thing in a MIDI newsgroup because it involves people who have experience
with the group who could possibly provide him some insight. I'd certainly
welcome such questions more than the overdone "Is C++ better than C" posts.

Let me again point out that this newsgroup is for the language C++. The
newsgroup name does not imply anything about ONLY discussing standard C++.
It was kind of you to point out other newsgroups that may help him better,
but who made you the CLC++ police?

Rolf Magnus

Kevin said:
The newsgroup serves discussion of a programming language.

Yes, a LANGUAGE. Not any library written in or for it, except for the
standard library, since it's part of the language.
See http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.9 which
is part of the official FAQ to this group (and one should actually
always have a look into the FAQ of a group or at least read a bit in
that group before posting)
Naturally, people are going to want to know how to implement the
language in different manners. More or less, Michael was asking
what libraries were available to help him in what he wanted to do.

That hasn't anything to do with implementing the language, so what's
your point?
I don't see any reason why he should get any blame for doing this.

He didn't get blame. He was politely told that his question is off-topic
here and redirected to a more appropriate place. Some consider this to
be blame, but it's not, and it's not meant to be.
Similarly, he should be able to post the same thing in a MIDI
newsgroup because it involves people who have experience
with the group who could possibly provide him some insight.

Usenet isn't built upon posting questions to places where people seem to
be likely to know the answer, but upon topics. This makes it easier to
select and read the newsgroups that you're most interested in without
getting to much "noise" that is actually not what you're interested in.
And most newsgroups have a welcome message and/or FAQ that exactly
tells you what the topic of the group is, since it's not always
obvious.
I'd certainly welcome such questions more than the overdone "Is C++
better than C" posts. Let me again point out that this newsgroup is
for the language C++.

Yes, and _only_ for the language itself.
The newsgroup name does not imply anything about ONLY discussing
standard C++.

It does. the "lang" in the name means that it's about the language
itself, not about OS-specific libraries or other extensions to it. And
the language C++ is defined by the ISO standard. Also, the welcome
message that is posted here regularly (and btw. was posted today - see
It was kind of you to point out other newsgroups that
may help him better, but who made you the CLC++ police?

Would you prefer if nobody at all answers a question if it's off-topic
instead of helping the OP to find a better place for it?

Kevin Buffardi

Yes, a LANGUAGE. Not any library written in or for it, except for the
standard library, since it's part of the language.
See http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.9 which
is part of the official FAQ to this group (and one should actually
always have a look into the FAQ of a group or at least read a bit in
that group before posting)

Touche. I guess I'll just have to be the dissenting voice against what has
been accepted as rule here. It's obnoxious to be told you can't ask a
quorum of knowledgable C++ programmers if they know of any __C++__ libraries
so you can perform an operation not available with the standard libraries.
That said, I hope he found what he was looking for -- I was able to suggest
a starting place.
That hasn't anything to do with implementing the language, so what's
your point?

Sure it does. C++ doesn't have any built-in functions dealing with MIDI and
he needed to know what he needed so he _could_ do it with C++. The library
he finds should be written in C++ and his own application will extend off of
that.

To clear things up, I applauded Victor for trying to point Michael in the
right direction. My objection is when posters reject questions related to
C++ as off topic because they require non-standard convensions. If Michael
was asking how to install his sound card, I'd agree with you. However, he
wanted to figure out how to manipulate MIDI in a program written in C++.
Comp.lang.c++ is a natural place to seek out such an answer. Even if the
group's FAQ deems it "off topic" I encourage any question that's related to
programming in C++ (whether standard or not) and if you guys refuse to help,
I'll do my best to compensate for your unwillingness.