    Can anyone recommend some good books or websites about the topic ?

    Thanks in advance.
    Michael.
    Michael, Oct 26, 2003

  2. "Michael" <> wrote...
    > Hi,
    > I'm looking for any source-code example, showing the use of midi sequencer
    > and midi messages in C++.
    > Which files have to be included ?

    The Standard C++ (the only subject of this newsgroup) has no means
    of programming a midi sequencer. You will have to use some kind of
    a special library. Such library (since it has nothing to do with
    the Standard C++) would be off-topic here. You might want to try
    asking in a newsgroup dedicated to your platform. I recommend
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer. Another possible source of info is
    a newsgroup with 'midi' in its name.

    Victor
    Victor Bazarov, Oct 26, 2003

  3. Sure, it's a valid topic for this newsgroup. It's comp.lang.c++ NOT
    comp.lang.c++.standard .

    I know there are some C++ libraries out there. Check out STK (Synthesis
    ToolKit) I think it may have some MIDI capabilities.

    --
    Kevin Buffardi
    "Rockstars -- is there
    Kevin Buffardi, Oct 26, 2003
  4. "Kevin Buffardi" <> wrote...
    > Sure, it's a valid topic for this newsgroup. It's comp.lang.c++ NOT
    > comp.lang.c++.standard .

    I don't want to go into a lengthy discussion about the topicality
    of this newsgroup with you. Check http://groups.google.com to
    satisfy your curiousity. Here is a hint, though: it's comp.LANG.c++,
    not comp.HOWDOIPROGRAMWHATEVERUSING.c++.
    Victor Bazarov, Oct 27, 2003
  5. > I don't want to go into a lengthy discussion about the topicality
    > of this newsgroup with you. Check http://groups.google.com to
    > satisfy your curiousity. Here is a hint, though: it's comp.LANG.c++,
    > not comp.HOWDOIPROGRAMWHATEVERUSING.c++.

    The newsgroup serves discussion of a programming language. Naturally,
    people are going to want to know how to implement the language in different
    manners. More or less, Michael was asking what libraries were available to
    help him in what he wanted to do. I don't see any reason why he should get
    any blame for doing this. Similarly, he should be able to post the same
    thing in a MIDI newsgroup because it involves people who have experience
    with the group who could possibly provide him some insight. I'd certainly
    welcome such questions more than the overdone "Is C++ better than C" posts.

    Let me again point out that this newsgroup is for the language C++. The
    newsgroup name does not imply anything about ONLY discussing standard C++.
    It was kind of you to point out other newsgroups that may help him better,
    but who made you the CLC++ police?

    --
    Kevin Buffardi
    "Rockstars -- is there
    Kevin Buffardi, Oct 27, 2003
  6. Michael

    Rolf Magnus Guest

    Kevin Buffardi wrote:

    >> I don't want to go into a lengthy discussion about the topicality
    >> of this newsgroup with you. Check http://groups.google.com to
    >> satisfy your curiousity. Here is a hint, though: it's comp.LANG.c++,
    >> not comp.HOWDOIPROGRAMWHATEVERUSING.c++.

    > The newsgroup serves discussion of a programming language.

    Yes, a LANGUAGE. Not any library written in or for it, except for the
    standard library, since it's part of the language.
    See http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.9 which
    is part of the official FAQ to this group (and one should actually
    always have a look into the FAQ of a group or at least read a bit in
    that group before posting)

    > Naturally, people are going to want to know how to implement the
    > language in different manners. More or less, Michael was asking
    > what libraries were available to help him in what he wanted to do.

    That hasn't anything to do with implementing the language, so what's
    your point?

    > I don't see any reason why he should get any blame for doing this.

    He didn't get blame. He was politely told that his question is off-topic
    here and redirected to a more appropriate place. Some consider this to
    be blame, but it's not, and it's not meant to be.

    > Similarly, he should be able to post the same thing in a MIDI
    > newsgroup because it involves people who have experience
    > with the group who could possibly provide him some insight.

    Usenet isn't built upon posting questions to places where people seem to
    be likely to know the answer, but upon topics. This makes it easier to
    select and read the newsgroups that you're most interested in without
    getting to much "noise" that is actually not what you're interested in.
    And most newsgroups have a welcome message and/or FAQ that exactly
    tells you what the topic of the group is, since it's not always
    obvious.

    > I'd certainly welcome such questions more than the overdone "Is C++
    > better than C" posts. Let me again point out that this newsgroup is
    > for the language C++.

    Yes, and _only_ for the language itself.

    > The newsgroup name does not imply anything about ONLY discussing
    > standard C++.

    It does. the "lang" in the name means that it's about the language
    itself, not about OS-specific libraries or other extensions to it. And
    the language C++ is defined by the ISO standard. Also, the welcome
    message that is posted here regularly (and btw. was posted today - see
    <bniagr$11ghkj$-berlin.de> or
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt) shows you the topic.

    > It was kind of you to point out other newsgroups that
    > may help him better, but who made you the CLC++ police?

    Would you prefer if nobody at all answers a question if it's off-topic
    instead of helping the OP to find a better place for it?
    Rolf Magnus, Oct 27, 2003
  7. > Yes, a LANGUAGE. Not any library written in or for it, except for the
    > standard library, since it's part of the language.
    > See http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.9 which
    > is part of the official FAQ to this group (and one should actually
    > always have a look into the FAQ of a group or at least read a bit in
    > that group before posting)

    Touche. I guess I'll just have to be the dissenting voice against what has
    been accepted as rule here. It's obnoxious to be told you can't ask a
    quorum of knowledgable C++ programmers if they know of any __C++__ libraries
    so you can perform an operation not available with the standard libraries.
    That said, I hope he found what he was looking for -- I was able to suggest
    a starting place.

    > > More or less, Michael was asking
    > > what libraries were available to help him in what he wanted to do.

    > That hasn't anything to do with implementing the language, so what's
    > your point?

    Sure it does. C++ doesn't have any built-in functions dealing with MIDI and
    he needed to know what he needed so he _could_ do it with C++. The library
    he finds should be written in C++ and his own application will extend off of
    that.

    To clear things up, I applauded Victor for trying to point Michael in the
    right direction. My objection is when posters reject questions related to
    C++ as off topic because they require non-standard convensions. If Michael
    was asking how to install his sound card, I'd agree with you. However, he
    wanted to figure out how to manipulate MIDI in a program written in C++.
    Comp.lang.c++ is a natural place to seek out such an answer. Even if the
    group's FAQ deems it "off topic" I encourage any question that's related to
    programming in C++ (whether standard or not) and if you guys refuse to help,
    I'll do my best to compensate for your unwillingness.

    --
    Kevin Buffardi
    "Rockstars -- is there
    Kevin Buffardi, Oct 28, 2003