[question] basic layout

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Rafal 'Raf256' Maj, Dec 8, 2003.

  1. Hi,
    how can I build basic layout - main page 600px + 200px column of it's left
    side + footer (800px width) at bottom?

    I'm looking for exaact code, that will work on any browser (>= NN 4, IE 4),
    that will correclty set aligment of text inside columns (to left) etc.
    Entire page (both columns) should be ceneterd inside browser window.

    What is code to display:

    <---entire window--->
    <200><--400px->

    Menu Main Page
    1 ..
    2 ..
    ..
    ..
    --- footter ---

    using

    a) tables
    b) div's

    Maybe there is a way to realize this layout on div's and to have it still
    working under NN 4?

    --
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~l-.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    GG-1175498 ____| ]____,
    Rafal 'Raf256' Maj, Dec 8, 2003

  2. Rafal 'Raf256' Maj wrote:
    > Hi,
    > how can I build basic layout - main page 600px + 200px column of it's left
    > side + footer (800px width) at bottom?
    >
    > I'm looking for exaact code, that will work on any browser

    A simple two-column table. Or check out some of the layouts here:
    <http://www.fu2k.org/alex/css/layouts/3Col_NN4_RWS_A.mhtml>

    Matthias
    Matthias Gutfeldt, Dec 8, 2003

  3. Rafal 'Raf256' Maj

    Eric Bohlman Guest

    "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <> wrote in

    > how can I build basic layout - main page 600px + 200px column of it's
    > left side + footer (800px width) at bottom?

    I wouldn't go for those particular dimensions: if someone has a screen size
    of 800x600 (still quite common, especially for people with smaller monitors
    since on a 15-inch monitor, text looks too small at 1024x768), they're
    going to have less than 800 horizontal pixels available inside their
    browser window even if they're running maximized, because of scrollbars,
    borders, and the like. So your proposed dimensions will make a horizontal
    scrollbar appear.

    Much better to change those pixel values to percentages, namely 75%, 25%,
    and 100%. That way the page will automatically adjust to the user's window
    size, limited only by the sizes of images.
    Eric Bohlman, Dec 8, 2003