Question: can this be automated ???

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by x_men, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. x_men

    x_men Guest

    Hi,

    I have a question.

    I'm working as a volunteer for a belgian pop festival.
    Every year there's a contest on our website.
    Every visitor can submit a top-5 of groups that he/she wants to see on
    the festival.
    The mailadress and homeadress is asked as well.
    The mailadress is used to sent the list of all the groups that will
    perform on the festival.
    The homeadress is used to send to the first 3000 persons a gift.
    (sticker fromt the festival)
    All the given groups are listed.
    We are running a sbs2000-server (for our mail and webmail access) but
    the webpage of the festival is hosted externally.

    How it now goes:
    On the contest page there are some fields where you can insert the
    info and if you press submit this info is all mailed to a special
    mailbox.
    when a mail is coming in this is converted to a flat file.
    In this file we separate the mailadress & address and the 5 groups.
    There's a program written by a friend who's making a list of all the
    given
    groups.
    Problem is now that there's still a lot of handwork needed to be done.

    What my wet dream is ;-)
    Put a link on our website to our own sbs2000-server where we built an
    asp page where info is directly inserted into a database
    (so you don't have to do any manual work like it goes now)

    Can this be done?
    Is there perhaps a bether solution for this?

    Thnkx 4 reading and I hope you can give me some fb on how to solve
    this problem.

    x_men, Feb 2, 2004

  2. Better solution is to store the information in a common database that your
    site, and another site (your friend's?) share. I don't see a reason why you
    should mail the info and parse it to get the submitted information.

    --
    Manohar Kamath
    Editor, .netBooks

    Manohar Kamath [MVP], Feb 2, 2004