Question concerning Application_Start event

Joel Zinn

I have a wierd situation occurring. I have some code in my
Application_Start method in the Global.asax. That code logs some startup
info. My understading was that this event would only fire when the App
started, due to server reboot, web.config change, or manual start/restart of
either the app or IIS. The problem is that I see daily log entries from the
Application_Start code. It also appears that the jit compiles cache is
being cleared at that restart, because the initial execution after that
restart is pretty slow. Does anyone have any idea why these "restarts" are
occurring ?

Kevin Spencer

Hi Joel,

Your understanding is understandable, but is lacking one condition:

The Application will restart after a period of time with no client requests.

Yup, the Application has a timeout as well.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
What You Seek Is What You Get.

Scott Allen

Is this 2003 Server? You might have process recycling set to restart
the app every morning, or after a period of inactivity. Look at the
"Recycling" tab in the property dialog for the application pool your
webapp lives in.