Question from a newbie re frames & CSS

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Al Jones, Jan 1, 2005.

  1. Al Jones

    Al Jones Guest

    Situation and apologize in advance for the long description.

    I have several letters (in the neighbord hood of 200) that I have
    trasncribed and want to put up on the web.

    The lay out as I picture it is:

    Top / banner
    some navigation (links / about / history / ... )
    left column: letter date / title
    right column: letter text (which also includes the picture of the letter)

    footer: copyright / etc??

    both the table of contents and the letter may exceed the users screen
    length and I would like to scroll them independently. If the user selects
    a different letter, put it in the right had box, but leave the toc alone
    (no movement)

    I can:
    1) do it with frames
    2) do it with tables and imbedded iframes <??>

    Now come the ignorance questions:
    banner consists of two pictures one align: left, the other align: right
    with some text (Site title) inbetween. The left hand picture sets at the
    top, the text aligns center:center (no such but I think you understand
    what I mean), the right hand picture drops down about 3em and I can't seem
    to get it to the top. Suggestions??

    Now for the dumb question:
    If I do this with frames - what are the minimum specifications that need
    to be included in the html for each 'page' (toc and individual letters).

    I can't point to a web site as this is still 'pie in the sky' ('let's
    learn html/css by doing something realistic???)

    Thanks //al (fix email to reply directly)

    Al Jones, Jan 1, 2005

  2. Al Jones

    Richard Guest

    Al Jones wrote:

    > Situation and apologize in advance for the long description.

    > I have several letters (in the neighbord hood of 200) that I have
    > trasncribed and want to put up on the web.

    For something of this magnitude, you should explore the high probability of
    using either cgi (pearl) or PHP.
    Learn how to handle a mysql database.

    To do this with standard html coding would be a royal PITA no matter how you
    laid it out.
    To do it in frames, you'd need a single reference page for each letter.
    As a database, all you'd do is reference a unique ID label for each letter.

    I'm no expert by any means, but even at my level, I would not want to do
    what you're proposing purely in html.
    Richard, Jan 1, 2005

  3. Al Jones

    rf Guest

    "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote

    > For something of this magnitude, you should explore the high probability

    of
    > using either cgi (pearl) or PHP.

    You fail totally to realise what really happens on a web server.

    There are two ways of running server side processes.

    One way is via CGI, Common Gateway Interface. Many things support CGI, perl
    and PHP being two of them. One thing that must be pointed out is that CGI is
    *NOT* equal to perl.

    Another way is to directly link the process server to the web server, as a
    module. PHP amongst others can do this.

    > I'm no expert by any means,

    How true.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jan 1, 2005
  4. Al Jones

    Al Jones Guest

    On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 02:20:07 -0600, Richard <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:

    > Al Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Situation and apologize in advance for the long description.

    >> I have several letters (in the neighbord hood of 200) that I have
    >> trasncribed and want to put up on the web.

    > For something of this magnitude, you should explore the high probability
    > of
    > using either cgi (pearl) or PHP.
    > Learn how to handle a mysql database.
    >
    > To do this with standard html coding would be a royal PITA no matter how
    > you
    > laid it out.
    > To do it in frames, you'd need a single reference page for each letter.
    > As a database, all you'd do is reference a unique ID label for each
    > letter.
    >
    > I'm no expert by any means, but even at my level, I would not want to do
    > what you're proposing purely in html.

    ya know, I really did think about that - but since this project is
    strictly family related and will be put on CD for distribution to family
    member I didn't think much of that idea.

    I probably should have included that in my original kessage.

    I do have most of the files on a friends web siote, but will need to get
    her permission before I give the adress out.

    Assuming that the user wants to increase / decrease the size of the letter
    (screen) frames seems more reasonable to me ... is that a correct
    assumption? The table sites I've seen just seem to increase the amount
    of blank space surrounding the document - not to resize (display more text
    of) the document itself.

    Admittadly this is going to be a PITA - but it's also been an enjoyable
    one.

    Al Jones, Jan 1, 2005
  5. Al Jones

    Richard Guest

    Al Jones wrote:

    > On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 02:20:07 -0600, Richard <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:

    >> Al Jones wrote:
    >>
    >>> Situation and apologize in advance for the long description.

    >>> I have several letters (in the neighbord hood of 200) that I have
    >>> trasncribed and want to put up on the web.

    >> For something of this magnitude, you should explore the high probability
    >> of using either cgi (pearl) or PHP. Learn how to handle a mysql database.
    >>
    >> To do this with standard html coding would be a royal PITA no matter how
    >> you laid it out. To do it in frames, you'd need a single reference page
    >> for each letter. As a database, all you'd do is reference a unique ID
    >> label for each letter. I'm no expert by any means, but even at my level,
    >> I would not want to do what you're proposing purely in html.

    > ya know, I really did think about that - but since this project is
    > strictly family related and will be put on CD for distribution to family
    > member I didn't think much of that idea.

    > I probably should have included that in my original kessage.

    > I do have most of the files on a friends web siote, but will need to get
    > her permission before I give the adress out.

    > Assuming that the user wants to increase / decrease the size of the letter
    > (screen) frames seems more reasonable to me ... is that a correct
    > assumption? The table sites I've seen just seem to increase the amount
    > of blank space surrounding the document - not to resize (display more text
    > of) the document itself.

    > Admittadly this is going to be a PITA - but it's also been an enjoyable
    > one.

    Well in that case, go for the gusto and jazz it up any way you see fit.
    Insist they use IE and put transitions in.
    Try out all kinds of different popup and sliding menus too.
    All kinds of things can be on a cd package that would not be suitable for
    the web.
    Richard, Jan 1, 2005
  6. Richard wrote:

    > using either cgi (pearl) ...

    So ... you have oysters up your way?

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 1, 2005
  7. Al Jones

    Al Jones Guest

    On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 13:43:09 -0600, Richard <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:

    > Al Jones wrote:

    >>> For something of this magnitude, you should explore the high
    >>> probability
    >>> of using either cgi (pearl) or PHP. Learn how to handle a mysql
    >>> database.
    >>>
    >>> To do this with standard html coding would be a royal PITA no matter
    >>> how
    >>> you laid it out. To do it in frames, you'd need a single reference page
    >>> for each letter. As a database, all you'd do is reference a unique ID
    >>> label for each letter. I'm no expert by any means, but even at my
    >>> level,
    >>> I would not want to do what you're proposing purely in html.

    >> ya know, I really did think about that - but since this project is
    >> strictly family related and will be put on CD for distribution to family
    >> member I didn't think much of that idea.

    >> I probably should have included that in my original kessage.

    >> I do have most of the files on a friends web siote, but will need to get
    >> her permission before I give the adress out.

    >> Assuming that the user wants to increase / decrease the size of the
    >> letter
    >> (screen) frames seems more reasonable to me ... is that a correct
    >> assumption? The table sites I've seen just seem to increase the amount
    >> of blank space surrounding the document - not to resize (display more
    >> text
    >> of) the document itself.

    >> Admittadly this is going to be a PITA - but it's also been an enjoyable
    >> one.

    > Well in that case, go for the gusto and jazz it up any way you see fit.
    > Insist they use IE and put transitions in.
    > Try out all kinds of different popup and sliding menus too.
    > All kinds of things can be on a cd package that would not be suitable for
    > the web.

    I'd hope that that was sstrictly facetiousness ... this is an exercise to
    help me learn how to use html & css.

    Anyone want to respond to my original questions???

    Al Jones, Jan 1, 2005