    For example: File://c:\Documents and settings\$username$\desktop

    Edmond
    , Aug 16, 2007

  2. John Hosking Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > Do you know what is the parameter to represent the profile name in
    > HTML.
    > For example: File://c:\Documents and settings\$username$\desktop

    There isn't one. (HTML isn't about Windows.)

    --
    John
    Pondering the value of the UIP: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    John Hosking, Aug 16, 2007

  3. Scripsit :

    > Do you know what is the parameter to represent the profile name in
    > HTML.
    > For example: File://c:\Documents and settings\$username$\desktop

    The file: URL scheme is by definition machine-dependent: it refers to a
    resource in a particular computer by its file system and notation
    conventions. It is thus unusable or unnecessary (as opposite to relative
    URLs) in most contexts.

    More info: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/fileurl.html

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 16, 2007
  4. Ed Mullen Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > Do you know what is the parameter to represent the profile name in
    > HTML.
    > For example: File://c:\Documents and settings\$username$\desktop
    >

    > Edmond

    As Jukka said, it's machine dependent. The easiest way to see what your
    local situation is, is to use your browser to open a local file then
    look at the location bar in the browser.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Aug 16, 2007

    On 8 17 , 3 40 , Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > > Do you know what is the parameter to represent the profile name in
    > > HTML.
    > > For example: File://c:\Documents and settings\$username$\desktop

    > > Edmond

    > As Jukka said, it's machine dependent. The easiest way to see what your
    > local situation is, is to use your browser to open a local file then
    > look at the location bar in the browser.
    >
    > --
    > Ed Mullenhttp://edmullen.nethttp://mozilla.edmullen.nethttp://abington.edmullen.net
    > What is the speed of dark?

    My Main purpose:
    I am writing a batch program to save some files from server to user
    desktop directly. I shall send a email to user and they just click on
    the URL link, the batch will run and save the files on user's desktop.
    , Aug 17, 2007
  6. Ed Mullen Guest

    wrote:
    > On 8 17 , 3 40 , Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> Do you know what is the parameter to represent the profile name in
    >>> HTML.
    >>> For example: File://c:\Documents and settings\$username$\desktop
    >>> Edmond

    >> As Jukka said, it's machine dependent. The easiest way to see what your
    >> local situation is, is to use your browser to open a local file then
    >> look at the location bar in the browser.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ed Mullenhttp://edmullen.nethttp://mozilla.edmullen.nethttp://abington.edmullen.net
    >> What is the speed of dark?

    > My Main purpose:
    > I am writing a batch program to save some files from server to user
    > desktop directly. I shall send a email to user and they just click on
    > the URL link, the batch will run and save the files on user's desktop.

    Won't work on so many levels that it's frightening to contemplate. It
    certainly wouldn't work on my system.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Aug 17, 2007
  7. Dan Guest

    On Aug 16, 3:14 am, wrote:
    > Do you know what is the parameter to represent the profile name in
    > HTML.
    > For example: File://c:\Documents and settings\$username$\desktop

    That's not HTML, it's a URI. And it's not the correct syntax for a
    file URI; you're always supposed to use forward slashes regardless of
    the local operating system. And I don't think any browsers have
    access to system stuff like the logged in username for the purpose of
    plugging it into URLs; you'd need some sort of scripting language, I
    guess.

    --
    Dan
    Dan, Aug 17, 2007
  8. John Hosking Guest

    wrote:
    > On 8 17 , 3 40 , Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >> wrote:

    [What great attribution lines]

    >>> Hi all,
    >>> Do you know what is the parameter to represent the profile name in
    >>> HTML.
    >>> For example: File://c:\Documents and settings\$username$\desktop

    >> As Jukka said, it's machine dependent. The easiest way to see what your
    >> local situation is, is to use your browser to open a local file then
    >> look at the location bar in the browser.

    [Ed's signature snipped, because that's how we do it on Usenet, GG
    notwithstanding]

    > My Main purpose:
    > I am writing a batch program to save some files from server to user
    > desktop directly. I shall send a email to user and they just click on
    > the URL link, the batch will run and save the files on user's desktop.

    Ah, information!

    You might try zipping the files and storing them on your Web server,
    then include the URL to the file(s) in the e-mail. When (and if) your
    recipient clicks on the (presumably clickable, linked) URL, their e-mail
    client might ask them what to do with the file (save or open). You can
    tell them in the e-mail to save it (on their desktop, you say), and
    maybe they will, and maybe it'll work when they try it.

    GL

    John Hosking, Aug 17, 2007