Question: HTML URL Rules

mailtoedmond

Hi all,
Do you know what is the parameter to represent the profile name in
HTML.
For example: File://c:\Documents and settings\$username$\desktop

Edmond

John Hosking

Hi all,
Do you know what is the parameter to represent the profile name in
HTML.
For example: File://c:\Documents and settings\$username$\desktop

There isn't one. (HTML isn't about Windows.)

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit (e-mail address removed):
Do you know what is the parameter to represent the profile name in
HTML.
For example: File://c:\Documents and settings\$username$\desktop

The file: URL scheme is by definition machine-dependent: it refers to a
resource in a particular computer by its file system and notation
conventions. It is thus unusable or unnecessary (as opposite to relative
URLs) in most contexts.

More info: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/fileurl.html

Ed Mullen

Hi all,
Do you know what is the parameter to represent the profile name in
HTML.
For example: File://c:\Documents and settings\$username$\desktop

Edmond
As Jukka said, it's machine dependent. The easiest way to see what your
local situation is, is to use your browser to open a local file then
look at the location bar in the browser.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

mailtoedmond

As Jukka said, it's machine dependent. The easiest way to see what your
local situation is, is to use your browser to open a local file then
look at the location bar in the browser.

My Main purpose:
I am writing a batch program to save some files from server to user
desktop directly. I shall send a email to user and they just click on
the URL link, the batch will run and save the files on user's desktop.

Ed Mullen

My Main purpose:
I am writing a batch program to save some files from server to user
desktop directly. I shall send a email to user and they just click on
the URL link, the batch will run and save the files on user's desktop.

Won't work on so many levels that it's frightening to contemplate. It
certainly wouldn't work on my system.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Dan

Do you know what is the parameter to represent the profile name in
HTML.
For example: File://c:\Documents and settings\$username$\desktop

That's not HTML, it's a URI. And it's not the correct syntax for a
file URI; you're always supposed to use forward slashes regardless of
the local operating system. And I don't think any browsers have
access to system stuff like the logged in username for the purpose of
plugging it into URLs; you'd need some sort of scripting language, I
guess.

John Hosking

[What great attribution lines]

[Ed's signature snipped, because that's how we do it on Usenet, GG
notwithstanding]
My Main purpose:
I am writing a batch program to save some files from server to user
desktop directly. I shall send a email to user and they just click on
the URL link, the batch will run and save the files on user's desktop.

Ah, information!

You might try zipping the files and storing them on your Web server,
then include the URL to the file(s) in the e-mail. When (and if) your
recipient clicks on the (presumably clickable, linked) URL, their e-mail
client might ask them what to do with the file (save or open). You can
tell them in the e-mail to save it (on their desktop, you say), and
maybe they will, and maybe it'll work when they try it.

GL