    Do I have to install something else first?

    Thanks,

    Huub
    Huub, Jun 18, 2006

  2. Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm trying to install DBD::mysql. When I start cpan, I start "look
    > DBD::mysql". Then in the terminal "perl Makefile.PL
    > --testhost=<hostname>". Then I get this message:
    >
    > Can't exec "mysql_config": No such file or directory at Makefile.PL line 76.
    >
    > Do I have to install something else first?

    You don't *have* to, no. If you don't use --testhost and other options to
    specify the host, port, etc. to connect to, and where to find the MySQL
    client headers and libraries, then Makefile.PL will run the mysql_config
    tool to get that information.

    If you *have* given all the relevant information, then the failure to find
    mysql_config will cause no harm.

    Obviously, btw, you do need to have the MySQL client C library and headers
    installed somewhere on your system.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jun 18, 2006

  3. Huub

    Huub Guest

    > Obviously, btw, you do need to have the MySQL client C library and headers
    > installed somewhere on your system.

    Thank you. Another problem: on another machine I installed it with help
    from you and others. With this new installation, I get this with "make":

    > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
    > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    >

    > An error occurred while linking the DBD::mysql driver. The error
    > message seems to indicate that you don't have a libz.a,
    > or a libz.so. This is typically resolved by:
    >
    > 1.) You may try to remove the -lz or -lgz flag from the libs list
    > by using the --libs switch for "perl Makefile.PL".
    > 2.) On Red Hat Linux install libz-devel
    > 3.) On other systems, please contact the mailing list

    Though both machines run Fedora, neither has libz-devel installed. And
    on the other machine I didn't get this message. Any clue?
    Huub, Jun 18, 2006
  4. Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> writes:

    >> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
    >> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    >> An error occurred while linking the DBD::mysql driver. The error
    >> message seems to indicate that you don't have a libz.a,
    >> or a libz.so. This is typically resolved by:
    >> 1.) You may try to remove the -lz or -lgz flag from the libs list
    >> by using the --libs switch for "perl Makefile.PL".
    >> 2.) On Red Hat Linux install libz-devel
    >> 3.) On other systems, please contact the mailing list
    >>

    > Though both machines run Fedora, neither has libz-devel installed.

    You've already identified the problem, and the solution is listed as #2
    on the list above: Install libz-devel.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jun 18, 2006
  5. Huub

    Huub Guest

    >> Though both machines run Fedora, neither has libz-devel installed.

    > You've already identified the problem, and the solution is listed as #2
    > on the list above: Install libz-devel.
    >
    > sherm--

    That doesn't answer the question why the other machine posed not problem
    in this situation, while it didn't have libz either.
    BTW, the INSTALL.html indicates that libz is only necessary when
    installing from source. Assuming both "look DBD::mysql" or "install
    DBD::mysql" mean installing from source, what is installing from
    pre-compiled then?
    Huub, Jun 18, 2006
  6. Huub

    Huub Guest

    >> Though both machines run Fedora, neither has libz-devel installed.

    > You've already identified the problem, and the solution is listed as #2
    > on the list above: Install libz-devel.
    >
    > sherm--

    That doesn't answer the question why the other machine posed not problem
    in this situation, while it doesn't have libz either. On the other
    hand, zlib is installed, which turns out to be the successor tp libz.
    So, I fail to see what's going wrong and why.
    Huub, Jun 18, 2006
  7. Huub <"v.niekerk at hccnet.nl"> writes:

    >>> Though both machines run Fedora, neither has libz-devel installed.

    >> You've already identified the problem, and the solution is listed as
    >> on the list above: Install libz-devel.
    >> sherm--
    >>

    > That doesn't answer the question why the other machine posed not problem
    > in this situation, while it doesn't have libz either. On the other
    > hand, zlib is installed, which turns out to be the successor tp
    > libz. So, I fail to see what's going wrong and why.

    Who knows? Different MySQL client libraries, different -dev packages, etc.
    Any number of possibilities exist. I wouldn't waste time worrying about it.
    I'd just do what the error message says to do (install libz-devel) and move
    on.

    > BTW, the INSTALL.html indicates that libz is only necessary when
    > installing from source. Assuming both "look DBD::mysql" or "install
    > DBD::mysql" mean installing from source, what is installing from
    > pre-compiled then?

    RPM or PPD packages, etc. - lots of ways to get pre-compiled modules on
    a variety of platforms.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jun 18, 2006