    Best regards,

    Ronald

    , Aug 27, 2008

  2. magloca Guest

    @ Wednesday 27 August 2008 15:40:

    > I am learning how to use Perl. When I was first time using VBA, I
    > could use "F8" to track how all the variables change each by each and
    > step by step so that I can understand how the coding flows. Is there
    > any method to do so (or similar) in Perl? Many thanks!

    See 'perldoc perldebug', for command-line debugging, or
    http://www.activestate.com/Products/komodo_ide/ for the graphical
    development environment Komodo (which costs money and which I
    personally know nothing about other than its name).

    m.

    magloca, Aug 27, 2008

    Thanks! m

    Where can I find "perldoc perldebug"? I keep searching them but cannot
    find them. Thanks!

    On Aug 27, 10:02 am, magloca <> wrote:
    > @ Wednesday 27 August 2008 15:40:
    >
    > > I am learning how to use Perl. When I was first time using VBA, I
    > > could use "F8" to track how all the variables change each by each and
    > > step by step so that I can understand how the coding flows. Is there
    > > any method to do so (or similar) in Perl? Many thanks!

    > See 'perldoc perldebug', for command-line debugging, orhttp://www.activestate.com/Products/komodo_ide/for the graphical
    > development environment Komodo (which costs money and which I
    > personally know nothing about other than its name).
    >
    > m.

    , Aug 27, 2008

    On Aug 27, 10:27 am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim>
    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Thanks! m

    > > Where can I find "perldoc perldebug"? I keep searching them but cannot
    > > find them. Thanks!

    > just type it on your command line.
    >
    >    BugBear

    Thanks a lot!

    Is there any "Help" function that I can use to search for explanations
    for variables? Thanks!

    , Aug 27, 2008
  5. wrote:
    >On Aug 27, 10:27 am, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim>
    >wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >> > Where can I find "perldoc perldebug"? I keep searching them but cannot
    >> > find them. Thanks!

    >> just type it on your command line.

    >Is there any "Help" function that I can use to search for explanations
    >for variables?

    See 'perldoc perlvar':

    NAME
    perlvar - Perl predefined variables

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Aug 27, 2008
  6. bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> writes:

    > Jürgen Exner wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Is there any "Help" function that I can use to search for explanations
    >>> for variables?

    >> See 'perldoc perlvar':
    >>
    >> NAME
    >> perlvar - Perl predefined variables
    >>

    > And probably 'perldoc perldoc'
    >
    > :)

    And, of course, "perldoc perl" for a list of all the available docs.

    Also note that, if you're using ActiveState's Perl on Windows, there
    are (or were, when I last looked - it's been a while) links to the
    included docs in the Start menu.

    sherm--

    --
    My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com

    Sherm Pendley, Aug 27, 2008
  7. cartercc Guest

    On Aug 27, 9:40 am, wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I am learning how to use Perl. When I was first time using VBA, I
    > could use "F8" to track how all the variables change each by each and
    > step by step so that I can understand how the coding flows. Is there
    > any method to do so (or similar) in Perl? Many thanks!

    There isn't a dedicated Perl IDE, like VS for VB or C#, or NetBeans
    (or Eclipse or BlueJ or JGrasp or JBuilder, etc) for Java, or LispBox
    for Lisp. Unless you buy a an IDE (like the Active State product)
    you've got to use a text editor and the key chords and function key
    mappings are determined by the editor, not by Perl.

    On a Windows machine, I use Textpad, Notepad, Winvi, or even edit to
    create the source files and run the scripts at the command prompt. On
    a Unix/Linix machine, I use vi or emacs to create the files and run
    them at the command prompt.

    You can run the built in Perl debugger with the -d switch. If you
    invoke the debugger, it will allow you to step through the code and
    look at your variables.

    CC

    cartercc, Aug 27, 2008
  8. nntpman68 Guest

    and for the ones who are not used to the command line, but who're always
    onine:

    http://perldoc.perl.org/ )However care must be taken, that this is the
    documentation of perl 5.10.0 and the version on your host might be older.

    bye

    nntpman68, Aug 29, 2008
  9. nntpman68 Guest

    nntpman68, Aug 29, 2008