Question (no flame)

Miquel Oliete

Hi there

I've been a long long time searching a Ruby IDE for my Ruby coding and
finally I have found two of them...and this is the problem.

The first one I have found is Netbeans (Java IDE by Sun) and the second
one is Eclipse with the Ruby Plugin. Both of them are free software.

Could somebody tell me which one is the best one to code in Ruby (both
can be executed in Linux and Windows platforms, which are the two
platforms I use everyday)

Thanks in advance

Best regards

--

Miquel (a.k.a. Ktal=E0 a.k.a. Ton)
Linux User #286784

Welcome to the jungle, we got fun and games
Guns n' Roses

Alex Young

Miquel said:
Hi there

I've been a long long time searching a Ruby IDE for my Ruby coding and
finally I have found two of them...and this is the problem.

The first one I have found is Netbeans (Java IDE by Sun) and the second
one is Eclipse with the Ruby Plugin. Both of them are free software.

Could somebody tell me which one is the best one to code in Ruby (both
can be executed in Linux and Windows platforms, which are the two
platforms I use everyday)
I think you're going to have to answer that yourself - IDE choice is a
personal thing. They both have their fans. I suggest trying them each
for a week and see how you go.

Kyle Schmitt

I've responded a ton of times to questions like this.
NetBeans feels more complete than Eclipse, but Eclipse still seems
more responsive, if not more stable. But it's really a matter of
choice. My suggestion would be to write a project in each one. Two
whole projects, from start to finish: one in eclipse, one in net
beans. Otherwise you'll never really know.

--Kyle

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Arlen said:
We recently had a big thread on here about preferred IDEs; you could try
searching the mail archives going back a little bit for it. ("Best IDE
for ruby and rails development" - not 100% right, but quite relevant)

Cheers

Arlen

Well ... I don't use either of them, but I think NetBeans is *much*
lighter weight than Eclipse, so it would get my nod, had I not purchased
Komodo. :) There's another free one you might want to look at, although
it's Linux-only -- KDevelop.

Walter Purvis

For pure editing, Komodo Edit is pretty nice. It's free and runs on
Windws, Linux, and Mac.