Question (no flame)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Miquel Oliete, Sep 26, 2007.

  1. Hi there

    I've been a long long time searching a Ruby IDE for my Ruby coding and
    finally I have found two of them...and this is the problem.

    The first one I have found is Netbeans (Java IDE by Sun) and the second
    one is Eclipse with the Ruby Plugin. Both of them are free software.

    Could somebody tell me which one is the best one to code in Ruby (both
    can be executed in Linux and Windows platforms, which are the two
    platforms I use everyday)

    Thanks in advance

    Best regards

    --

    Miquel (a.k.a. Ktal=E0 a.k.a. Ton)
    Linux User #286784

    Welcome to the jungle, we got fun and games
    Guns n' Roses
    Miquel Oliete, Sep 26, 2007

  2. Miquel Oliete

    Alex Young Guest

    Miquel Oliete wrote:
    > Hi there
    >
    > I've been a long long time searching a Ruby IDE for my Ruby coding and
    > finally I have found two of them...and this is the problem.
    >
    > The first one I have found is Netbeans (Java IDE by Sun) and the second
    > one is Eclipse with the Ruby Plugin. Both of them are free software.
    >
    > Could somebody tell me which one is the best one to code in Ruby (both
    > can be executed in Linux and Windows platforms, which are the two
    > platforms I use everyday)

    I think you're going to have to answer that yourself - IDE choice is a
    personal thing. They both have their fans. I suggest trying them each
    for a week and see how you go.

    --
    Alex
    Alex Young, Sep 26, 2007

  3. Miquel Oliete

    Joe Blauer Guest

    See one person's take on your question here:

    http://lifeonrails.org/2007/8/30/netbeans-the-best-ruby-on-rails-ide

    --
    joe

    Joe Blauer, Sep 26, 2007
  4. Miquel Oliete

    Kyle Schmitt Guest

    I've responded a ton of times to questions like this.
    NetBeans feels more complete than Eclipse, but Eclipse still seems
    more responsive, if not more stable. But it's really a matter of
    choice. My suggestion would be to write a project in each one. Two
    whole projects, from start to finish: one in eclipse, one in net
    beans. Otherwise you'll never really know.

    --Kyle
    Kyle Schmitt, Sep 26, 2007
  5. Arlen Christian Mart Cuss wrote:
    > On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 03:18 +0900, Miquel Oliete wrote:
    >> Hi there
    >>
    >> I've been a long long time searching a Ruby IDE for my Ruby coding and
    >> finally I have found two of them...and this is the problem.
    >>
    >> The first one I have found is Netbeans (Java IDE by Sun) and the second
    >> one is Eclipse with the Ruby Plugin. Both of them are free software.
    >>
    >> Could somebody tell me which one is the best one to code in Ruby (both
    >> can be executed in Linux and Windows platforms, which are the two
    >> platforms I use everyday)
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> Best regards

    > We recently had a big thread on here about preferred IDEs; you could try
    > searching the mail archives going back a little bit for it. ("Best IDE
    > for ruby and rails development" - not 100% right, but quite relevant)
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Arlen

    Well ... I don't use either of them, but I think NetBeans is *much*
    lighter weight than Eclipse, so it would get my nod, had I not purchased
    Komodo. :) There's another free one you might want to look at, although
    it's Linux-only -- KDevelop.
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Sep 27, 2007
  6. For pure editing, Komodo Edit is pretty nice. It's free and runs on
    Windws, Linux, and Mac.
    Walter Purvis, Sep 27, 2007