Question of a novice

Kappa

Hello

I am familiar a little about programming. Infact I did C, then Java as
part of my study at uni. I did touch it after that. Its been 3 years
now but I want to start again. So should I go for C++ for Java. Or
there is new technology on the scene .NET

Thank a lot.

Kappa

Ioannis Vranos

Kappa said:
Hello

I am familiar a little about programming. Infact I did C, then Java as
part of my study at uni. I did touch it after that. Its been 3 years
now but I want to start again. So should I go for C++ for Java. Or
there is new technology on the scene .NET

..NET provides the same API for all languages. For example I am writing
..NET Windows Applications and Web Services with C++.

I suggest C++ since the Java virtual machine is written in C++ anyway. :)

Regards,

Ioannis Vranos

JKop

Kappa posted:
Hello

I am familiar a little about programming. Infact I did C, then Java as
part of my study at uni. I did touch it after that. Its been 3 years
now but I want to start again. So should I go for C++ for Java. Or
there is new technology on the scene .NET

Thank a lot.

Kappa

Java is as dumbed down as Visual Basic.

C++ all the way.

-JKop

Vijay Kankipati

Ioannis Vranos said:
.NET provides the same API for all languages. For example I am writing
.NET Windows Applications and Web Services with C++.

I suggest C++ since the Java virtual machine is written in C++ anyway. :)

It doesn't (or perhaps shouldn't) depend on the reason that Java is
written in C++. You should first identify your purpose, need, etc.
Then, also decide on the constraints you have like money, time, etc.
If you know what you want to do, it should not be a problem whether
you need to learn Java or C++. After all, anything is used to
automate solutions.

- Vijay

Ioannis Vranos

JKop said:
Java is as dumbed down as Visual Basic.

VB is the language I dislike the most. Basically I can't bear its syntax.

Regards,

Ioannis Vranos

Howard

Kappa said:
Hello

I am familiar a little about programming. Infact I did C, then Java as
part of my study at uni. I did touch it after that. Its been 3 years
now but I want to start again. So should I go for C++ for Java. Or
there is new technology on the scene .NET

Thank a lot.

Kappa

Well, it all depends upon what you want to learn it for. Just for fun? For
system programming? For web programming? To get a job?

Every language has its value (even Visual Basic). My personal favorite for
writing Windows programs quickly and easily is Delphi. It's truly a great
way to get programs up and running, fast! But now I program in C++, because
that's more commonly used for the kinds of programming I prefer. It also
pays better in general. (And, obviously, it's what I'm paid to use! :))
Java and Visual Basic are (or at least were) pretty good for web
programming, but with the .NET world out there now, perhaps something like
C# might be better in the long run. If you want to program using specific
libraries (such as a graphics or game package), then you might want to use
the language that library is written in, so that interfacing with it is
seamless. For example, if you're using a Mac and programming against the
CoreAudio framework, maybe Objective-C is the way to go.

Of course, you're asking in a C++ newsgroup, so the answer MUST be C++!
(And a long and painful death to any who suggest otherwise!) :)

-Howard

Ioannis Vranos

Howard said:
but with the .NET world out there now, perhaps something like
C# might be better in the long run.

Why? The API is the same for all languages.

Of course, you're asking in a C++ newsgroup, so the answer MUST be C++!
(And a long and painful death to any who suggest otherwise!) :)

With the exact torture procedures described in the Standard. :)

Regards,

Ioannis Vranos

Howard

Ioannis Vranos said:
Why? The API is the same for all languages.

Hey, I did say "perhaps" and "might", didn't I? (And I have a natural
preference for C#, since it's more closely related to C or C++.)
With the exact torture procedures described in the Standard. :)
Oh yes, obviously! :)

Ioannis Vranos

Howard said:
Hey, I did say "perhaps" and "might", didn't I? (And I have a natural
preference for C#, since it's more closely related to C or C++.)

Then you should have a more natural preference to C++ since it is the
original thing. :)

Check these interesting things about C++ and .NET interaction:

There check the Visual C++ paragraph:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/productinfo/roadmap.aspx#language

This will become part of the future C++ standard:
http://www.ecma-international.org/news/ecma-TG5-PR.htm

Regards,

Ioannis Vranos