    there is new technology on the scene .NET

    Thank a lot.

    Kappa
    Kappa, Jun 30, 2004

  2. Kappa wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I am familiar a little about programming. Infact I did C, then Java as
    > part of my study at uni. I did touch it after that. Its been 3 years
    > now but I want to start again. So should I go for C++ for Java. Or
    > there is new technology on the scene .NET

    ..NET provides the same API for all languages. For example I am writing
    ..NET Windows Applications and Web Services with C++.

    I suggest C++ since the Java virtual machine is written in C++ anyway. :)

    Regards,

    Ioannis Vranos
    Ioannis Vranos, Jun 30, 2004

  3. Kappa

    JKop Guest

    Kappa posted:

    > Hello
    >
    > I am familiar a little about programming. Infact I did C, then Java as
    > part of my study at uni. I did touch it after that. Its been 3 years
    > now but I want to start again. So should I go for C++ for Java. Or
    > there is new technology on the scene .NET
    >
    > Thank a lot.
    >
    > Kappa

    Java is as dumbed down as Visual Basic.

    C++ all the way.

    -JKop
    JKop, Jun 30, 2004
  4. Ioannis Vranos <> wrote in message news:<cbtabv$2rdv$>...
    > Kappa wrote:
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > I am familiar a little about programming. Infact I did C, then Java as
    > > part of my study at uni. I did touch it after that. Its been 3 years
    > > now but I want to start again. So should I go for C++ for Java. Or
    > > there is new technology on the scene .NET

    > .NET provides the same API for all languages. For example I am writing
    > .NET Windows Applications and Web Services with C++.
    >

    > I suggest C++ since the Java virtual machine is written in C++ anyway. :)

    It doesn't (or perhaps shouldn't) depend on the reason that Java is
    written in C++. You should first identify your purpose, need, etc.
    Then, also decide on the constraints you have like money, time, etc.
    If you know what you want to do, it should not be a problem whether
    you need to learn Java or C++. After all, anything is used to
    automate solutions.

    - Vijay
    Vijay Kankipati, Jun 30, 2004
  5. JKop wrote:

    > Java is as dumbed down as Visual Basic.

    VB is the language I dislike the most. Basically I can't bear its syntax.

    Regards,

    Ioannis Vranos
    Ioannis Vranos, Jun 30, 2004
  6. Kappa

    Howard Guest

    "Kappa" <> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I am familiar a little about programming. Infact I did C, then Java as
    > part of my study at uni. I did touch it after that. Its been 3 years
    > now but I want to start again. So should I go for C++ for Java. Or
    > there is new technology on the scene .NET
    >
    > Thank a lot.
    >
    > Kappa

    Well, it all depends upon what you want to learn it for. Just for fun? For
    system programming? For web programming? To get a job?

    Every language has its value (even Visual Basic). My personal favorite for
    writing Windows programs quickly and easily is Delphi. It's truly a great
    way to get programs up and running, fast! But now I program in C++, because
    that's more commonly used for the kinds of programming I prefer. It also
    pays better in general. (And, obviously, it's what I'm paid to use! :))
    Java and Visual Basic are (or at least were) pretty good for web
    programming, but with the .NET world out there now, perhaps something like
    C# might be better in the long run. If you want to program using specific
    libraries (such as a graphics or game package), then you might want to use
    the language that library is written in, so that interfacing with it is
    seamless. For example, if you're using a Mac and programming against the
    CoreAudio framework, maybe Objective-C is the way to go.

    Of course, you're asking in a C++ newsgroup, so the answer MUST be C++!
    (And a long and painful death to any who suggest otherwise!) :)

    -Howard
    Howard, Jun 30, 2004
  7. Howard wrote:

    > but with the .NET world out there now, perhaps something like
    > C# might be better in the long run.

    Why? The API is the same for all languages.

    > Of course, you're asking in a C++ newsgroup, so the answer MUST be C++!
    > (And a long and painful death to any who suggest otherwise!) :)

    With the exact torture procedures described in the Standard. :)

    Regards,

    Ioannis Vranos
    Ioannis Vranos, Jun 30, 2004
  8. Kappa

    Howard Guest

    > Howard wrote:
    >
    > > but with the .NET world out there now, perhaps something like
    > > C# might be better in the long run.

    > Why? The API is the same for all languages.

    Hey, I did say "perhaps" and "might", didn't I? (And I have a natural
    preference for C#, since it's more closely related to C or C++.)

    > > Of course, you're asking in a C++ newsgroup, so the answer MUST be C++!
    > > (And a long and painful death to any who suggest otherwise!) :)

    > With the exact torture procedures described in the Standard. :)

    Oh yes, obviously! :)

    Howard, Jun 30, 2004
  9. Howard wrote:

    > Hey, I did say "perhaps" and "might", didn't I? (And I have a natural
    > preference for C#, since it's more closely related to C or C++.)

    Then you should have a more natural preference to C++ since it is the
    original thing. :)

    Check these interesting things about C++ and .NET interaction:

    There check the Visual C++ paragraph:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/productinfo/roadmap.aspx#language

    This will become part of the future C++ standard:
    http://www.ecma-international.org/news/ecma-TG5-PR.htm

    Regards,

    Ioannis Vranos
    Ioannis Vranos, Jun 30, 2004