Question on Accessing IFRAME documents

news.frontiernet.net

I presently have a group of documents on various topics that are each a
separate HTML documents and accessed from a main document where the topics
are displayed as a list.

I would like to display each topic on that main document in an IFRAME on
mouse-over of the topic.

But, I also need to access each topic document as a link. This is the
challenge.

There was a way with Javascript to target a frame and have the shell come up
too. So, I am hoping there is some way to do this same whing with documents
in an IFRAME structure.

Is there a way to link to an IFRAME document and have the host shell display
with that topic already in the IFRAME?

For example, the main host document is recreation.htm. Among the topics on
that main document are golf.htm and tennis.htm. THese two doeumtns were
full HTML documents with headers and footers of their own. I can make these
appear in an IFRAME on recreation.htm. But if I need to be able to link
directly to the topic of golf or tennis. The material to be displayed in the
IFRAME cannot repeat the page headers again that are already on the
recreation.htm document., so the golf.htm and tennis.htm documents will NOT
HAVE HEADERS.

However, to be considerate to visitors needs for navigation, I do not want
to have these headerless and footerless documents to display outside of the
IFRAME environment of the main document recreation.htm which does have the
headers and and footers..

Is there a way to link to an IFRAME document and have the host shell display
with that topic already in the IFRAME?

If it is possible, does anyone have an example coding of how this is done?

Thanks!

DU

news.frontiernet.net said:
I presently have a group of documents on various topics that are each a
separate HTML documents and accessed from a main document where the topics
are displayed as a list.

In which newsgroupS do you want to get an answer? Why did you need to
multi-post your question? Why didn't you just post in a single newsgroup?

DU
--
Javascript and Browser bugs:

DU

news.frontiernet.net said:
Obviously because I am not sure if the solution is HTML or Javascript. So,
it requires posting to each of the groups.

Where do you want people to answer you? In which newsgroup(s)? Why did
you need to multi-post your question? Why didn't you just cross-post
instead?

Can you at the very least answer these questions in each and all of the
newsgroups where you posted your problem? At the very least, this is
what you should do. Don't just answer here but in each and all other
newsgroups too. Otherwise, the others won't know at all what they should do.

DU
--
Javascript and Browser bugs:

news frontiernet.net

I want an answer to my question either from someone in the HTML group who
knows of an HTML answer, but may not even visit the Javascript newsgroup, or
from someone who does visit the Javascrip newsgroup but not the HTML
newsgroup and who has a Javascript method to solve this problem.

All the concern over multi-posting or cross-posting are worthless towards
the goal of getting an answer.

You asked me why I posted in both groups. I answered you.

If you have an idea of how to cause one of a choice of documents to load in
an Iframe when a document like recreation.html is linked to from another
document, then please share it.

brucie

I want an answer to my question

then pay someone
either from someone in the HTML group who knows of an HTML answer, but may
not even visit the Javascript newsgroup, or from someone who does visit the
Javascrip newsgroup but not the HTML newsgroup and who has a Javascript
method to solve this problem.

All the concern over multi-posting or cross-posting

you forgot topposting
are worthless towards the goal of getting an answer.

i disagree. as soon as your post arrived it was highlighted as someone
who topposts so i didn't bother wasting my time supplying the answer.
your loss.

Whitecrest

Is there a way to link to an IFRAME document and have the host shell display
with that topic already in the IFRAME?

Yes, look at the DOM different IFrames can easily talk to each other.
they can also check to see if they are being launched in an iframe so
you can put the headers there if they are linked to directly.
If it is possible, does anyone have an example coding of how this is done?

this link may help get you started:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/iframe.html

news frontiernet.net

Some people choose to top post, others choose to bottom post.

I notice you have interspersed your posting of answers under each of my
statements you wish to take issue with. You own actions are NEITHER top
posting nor bottom posting?

Toby A Inkster

news said:
I notice you have interspersed your posting of answers under each of my
statements you wish to take issue with. You own actions are NEITHER top
posting nor bottom posting?

Yes -- brucie's posting style isn't "top posting" or "bottom posting".
It's "proper posting".

Unlike yours. *plonk* as well.