Question on Accessing IFRAME documents

Discussion in 'HTML' started by news.frontiernet.net, Sep 19, 2003.

  1. I presently have a group of documents on various topics that are each a
    separate HTML documents and accessed from a main document where the topics
    are displayed as a list.

    I would like to display each topic on that main document in an IFRAME on
    mouse-over of the topic.

    But, I also need to access each topic document as a link. This is the
    challenge.

    There was a way with Javascript to target a frame and have the shell come up
    too. So, I am hoping there is some way to do this same whing with documents
    in an IFRAME structure.

    Is there a way to link to an IFRAME document and have the host shell display
    with that topic already in the IFRAME?

    For example, the main host document is recreation.htm. Among the topics on
    that main document are golf.htm and tennis.htm. THese two doeumtns were
    full HTML documents with headers and footers of their own. I can make these
    appear in an IFRAME on recreation.htm. But if I need to be able to link
    directly to the topic of golf or tennis. The material to be displayed in the
    IFRAME cannot repeat the page headers again that are already on the
    recreation.htm document., so the golf.htm and tennis.htm documents will NOT
    HAVE HEADERS.

    However, to be considerate to visitors needs for navigation, I do not want
    to have these headerless and footerless documents to display outside of the
    IFRAME environment of the main document recreation.htm which does have the
    headers and and footers..

    Is there a way to link to an IFRAME document and have the host shell display
    with that topic already in the IFRAME?

    If it is possible, does anyone have an example coding of how this is done?

    Thanks!
    news.frontiernet.net, Sep 19, 2003

  2. news.frontiernet.net

    DU Guest

    news.frontiernet.net wrote:

    > I presently have a group of documents on various topics that are each a
    > separate HTML documents and accessed from a main document where the topics
    > are displayed as a list.

    In which newsgroupS do you want to get an answer? Why did you need to
    multi-post your question? Why didn't you just post in a single newsgroup?

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs:
    DU, Sep 20, 2003

  3. news.frontiernet.net

    DU Guest

    news.frontiernet.net wrote:
    > Obviously because I am not sure if the solution is HTML or Javascript. So,
    > it requires posting to each of the groups.

    Where do you want people to answer you? In which newsgroup(s)? Why did
    you need to multi-post your question? Why didn't you just cross-post
    instead?

    Can you at the very least answer these questions in each and all of the
    newsgroups where you posted your problem? At the very least, this is
    what you should do. Don't just answer here but in each and all other
    newsgroups too. Otherwise, the others won't know at all what they should do.

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs:
    DU, Sep 20, 2003
  4. I want an answer to my question either from someone in the HTML group who
    knows of an HTML answer, but may not even visit the Javascript newsgroup, or
    from someone who does visit the Javascrip newsgroup but not the HTML
    newsgroup and who has a Javascript method to solve this problem.

    All the concern over multi-posting or cross-posting are worthless towards
    the goal of getting an answer.

    You asked me why I posted in both groups. I answered you.

    If you have an idea of how to cause one of a choice of documents to load in
    an Iframe when a document like recreation.html is linked to from another
    document, then please share it.

    news frontiernet.net, Sep 20, 2003
  5. news.frontiernet.net

    brucie Guest

    In post <PnRab.275$>
    news frontiernet.net said...

    > I want an answer to my question

    then pay someone

    > either from someone in the HTML group who knows of an HTML answer, but may
    > not even visit the Javascript newsgroup, or from someone who does visit the
    > Javascrip newsgroup but not the HTML newsgroup and who has a Javascript
    > method to solve this problem.
    >
    > All the concern over multi-posting or cross-posting

    you forgot topposting

    > are worthless towards the goal of getting an answer.

    i disagree. as soon as your post arrived it was highlighted as someone
    who topposts so i didn't bother wasting my time supplying the answer.
    your loss.
    brucie, Sep 20, 2003
  6. news.frontiernet.net

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <ELIab.246$>, says...
    > Is there a way to link to an IFRAME document and have the host shell display
    > with that topic already in the IFRAME?

    Yes, look at the DOM different IFrames can easily talk to each other.
    they can also check to see if they are being launched in an iframe so
    you can put the headers there if they are linked to directly.

    > If it is possible, does anyone have an example coding of how this is done?

    this link may help get you started:
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/iframe.html

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Sep 20, 2003
  7. Thanks! I will print and read this material.

    news frontiernet.net, Sep 20, 2003
  8. Some people choose to top post, others choose to bottom post.

    I notice you have interspersed your posting of answers under each of my
    statements you wish to take issue with. You own actions are NEITHER top
    posting nor bottom posting?

    news frontiernet.net, Sep 20, 2003
  9. news.frontiernet.net

    Isofarro Guest

    Isofarro, Sep 20, 2003
  10. news frontiernet.net wrote:

    > I notice you have interspersed your posting of answers under each of my
    > statements you wish to take issue with. You own actions are NEITHER top
    > posting nor bottom posting?

    Yes -- brucie's posting style isn't "top posting" or "bottom posting".
    It's "proper posting".

    Unlike yours. *plonk* as well.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Sep 20, 2003
  11. news.frontiernet.net

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > > Some people choose to top post,

    > So you are deliberately choosing not to communicate in an effective manner.
    > *plonk*

    Man this is really a tough croud.... ;->

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Sep 21, 2003