Question on device driver ?

CBFalconer

Walter said:
And I am afraid that by not correctly setting your signature,
news readers are unable to snip your blatant fishing for work.
Your job search is most certainly Off Topic here.

Chuck's .signature *is* correct: two dashes followed by a space
and then the end of line.

It isn't Chuck's fault if your newsreader only looks for the
*last* such instance instead of the *first* such instance.
Everything after the *first* such instance is signature,
including anything that might happen to look like the
signature delimeter.

Sounds as if he muttered something. I have him plonked as an
idiotic non-contributor.

CBFalconer

Richard said:
Rob Kendrick said:

Sure, it's a "valid" sig in the sense that it's synactically
correct. It does, however, exceed the max-four-lines guideline.

Which is a) a guideline and b) adhered to as my post leaves here.

CBFalconer

Richard said:
.... snip ...

No, that's certainly the bit I had in mind. Mea culpa - evidently
it wasn't quite as clear to others as I had thought. But I think
Chuck is the only regular contributor to this group who does not
observe the four-line sig block. If we can squeeze our sigs into
four lines, surely he can too?

No I can't. You are effectively trying to give me the choice of:

1. No sig.
2. Change news-servers.
3. Remove the sig marker, making the sig off-topic. Like 1.

The point is that my messages leave here usually ended by a sig
that adheres to the guidelines. The fact that some entity in the
transfer path chooses to modify the posting is not due to my action
in any way.

And, if I tried slightly, I think I could point out lots of over 4
line sigs in this group.

CBFalconer

Mark said:
.... snip ...

What do you expect? You lie about other people, and expect them to
take it without complaint?
--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

Using the word 'lie' is automatically anti-social.

To Mark: Ignore the following, it's for other people.

A 6 line sig above.

CBFalconer

jacob said:
.... snip ...

When heathfield and co start posting things like a lengthy
discussion of british measures (dozens of posts) or now another
"Ode to Keith" where they hone their writing skills you remain
silent because they are the "regulars" after all.

THEY have the RIGHT to post ANYTHING here without being bothered.
When I protested they started their usual insulting spree.

Heathfield and British are normally capitalized. Omitting this is
simply a further deliberate and unnecessary insult. After about a
year of avoiding insults (and off-topic posts) you might find
yourself better accepted here.

Keith Thompson

Old Wolf said:
So your daughter is a porn addict. Good to know...
[...]

Huh? Neither Japanese films nor manga (Japanese comics) are
exclusively, or even primarily, pornographic. You have no basis for
this accusation. I believe you owe jacob and his daughter a prompt
apology.

Richard Heathfield

CBFalconer said:
No I can't. You are effectively trying to give me the choice of:

1. No sig.
2. Change news-servers.
3. Remove the sig marker, making the sig off-topic. Like 1.

2 looks good from here.
The point is that my messages leave here usually ended by a sig
that adheres to the guidelines. The fact that some entity in the
transfer path chooses to modify the posting is not due to my action
in any way.

It would appear to be a consequence of your choice of news server.
And, if I tried slightly, I think I could point out lots of over 4
line sigs in this group.

Nobody's stopping you.

jacob navia

Old said:
So your daughter is a porn addict. Good to know...

Mr "old wolf" (anonymous coward)

I am still NOT IN YOUR KILLFILE.

This is bad for both of us. Heathfield started it,
you should follow his hint. Put me in your killfile
so I do not have to read your nonsense. My daughter
is 15 years old, and "mangas" are just japanese comics.

Not pornography.

Your perverted mind can't think
of anything else of course.

jacob navia

Mark said:
You know, your posts become more and more paranoid each time.

Did you ever take a small step back and actually look at how others
see you?

Mr McIntyre

It is with regret that I see that I am still not in your killfile.

As heathfield has suggested, a killfile is the only solution for
guys like me isn't it?

Please do so. I would be glad to no longer read your prose.

Yours sincerely

jacob navia

jacob navia

Flash said:
jacob navia wrote, On 19/09/07 22:13:

Agreed. So is your apparent claim that everyone has access to broadband.

Look, suppose a 56K bit line, i.e. around 700 characters per second.
CBFalconer's signature is 147 bytes long, i.e. with just dialup
you would have to wait 210 ms for having his signature...

Noisy lines can bring even dialup to lower levels, so you loose at most
a second in a REALLY noisy line!

Flash Gordon

jacob navia wrote, On 20/09/07 06:35:
Mark McIntyre wrote:

Mr McIntyre

It is with regret that I see that I am still not in your killfile.

As heathfield has suggested, a killfile is the only solution for
guys like me isn't it?

Please do so. I would be glad to no longer read your prose.

You have it backwards. If you do not want to read what someone posts
then *you* put them in *your* killfile.

Flash Gordon

jacob navia wrote, On 20/09/07 06:48:
Look, suppose a 56K bit line, i.e. around 700 characters per second.

That is the *maximum*. The normal situation, especially where broadband
is not available, is slower.
CBFalconer's signature is 147 bytes long, i.e. with just dialup
you would have to wait 210 ms for having his signature...

Noisy lines can bring even dialup to lower levels, so you loose at most
a second in a REALLY noisy line!

I've had to wait a few seconds for less on occasion, and if you are poor
and paying per minute, and there are many instances of this it adds up.

In any case, had you read my post you would have seen that I agreed that
all this discussion about Chuck's sig was ridiculous. What I disagreed
with, which is the point of mine quoted above, was your apparent claim
that everyone has access to broadband at a reasonable price.

Richard Bos

Richard said:
Chuck's signature is NOT correct. The fact that his ISP adds the other
one means HIS one is not valid. You can not have two signatures. His
posts do.

No, his posts only have _one_ signature, which starts at the first
separator, and which is massively too long. _That_ is his fault. Using
an idiotically broken newsreader which does not understand this is
yours.

Richard

Charlie Gordon

"jacob navia" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
[email protected]...
In which world are you living on?

My daughter downloads Japanese films with that e-mule
software... She filled several disk drives, so now she doesn't download
them at all but just watches the movies in comics/japanese "manga"
sites...

I have a 200K/second line just for her.

And you are discussing about the few *bytes* of CBFalconer signature
?????

This is completely ridiculous

France is a great place to surf the net, at the forefront of broadband
deployment.
More than half the total households have DSL service, a lot of them with
download speeds above 8 megabits per second, with free calls to 50 countries
and TV over IP for a flat monthly fee of USD 42.

1) Your own experience is not representative of the rest of the world.
2) Even in France, reading Usenet on a cell phone can be costly.
3) This whole discussion is so off topic and unrelated to the thread subject
;-)

Keith Thompson

jacob navia said:
Mr McIntyre

It is with regret that I see that I am still not in your killfile.

As heathfield has suggested, a killfile is the only solution for
guys like me isn't it?

Please do so. I would be glad to no longer read your prose.

Um, if you don't want to read his prose, you need to put him in *your*
killfile.

jaysome

Richard, I *know* you can read specifications better than that.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt

- If you include a signature keep it short. Rule of thumb
is no longer than 4 lines. Remember that many people pay for
connectivity by the minute, and the longer your message is,
the more they pay.

"Rule of thumb", not "MUST".

Right.

Things change just as fast as technology changes. The C FAQ is a good
example. Just search it for "DOS" to see how out-of-date it really is
(anyone who runs their only C compiler--and arguably even any C
compiler--under DOS is certainly living in the dinosaur age).

Nevertheless, there is some good wisdom in the C FAQ that arguably
absolves its mention of DOS:

<quote>
Section 18. Tools and Resources

[NOTE: Much of the information in this section is fairly old and may
be out-of-date, especially the URLs of various allegedly
publicly-available packages. Caveat lector.]
</quote>

I can't believe that anyone in this day and age, even if they suffer
from paying for their connectivity by the minute, endures any hardship
from having to download more than four and less than some reasonable
amount of lines in a USENET post signature. If you think that five
lines of signature is crossing the line then you are not only pedantic
but you are pedantic for no good reason.

If someone wants to include five or six or seven or even 10 lines in
their signature, no one should complain. When someone posts the
complete text of Mein Kampf in their signature, that's an entirely
another matter (for several reasons, including but not limited to text
length).

Regards
--
jay
http://c-faq.com/

Richard Heathfield

jaysome said:

If you think that five
lines of signature is crossing the line then you are not only pedantic
but you are pedantic for no good reason.

The good reason is this: Chuck likes to play netcop. That's fine - we need
netcops to keep the group from descending into chaos - but netcops should
not also be netperps. Those who crit top-posters should not top-post.
Those who crit people who begin OT threads should not themselves begin OT
threads. And those who crit 5+-line sigs should not themselves have
5+-line sigs.

Chuck has criticised others for having sigs that exceed four lines.

He can't have it both ways.

Quite frankly, I'd prefer it if the convention were something like "no more
than 16 lines, max 512 non-newline characters". A little flexibility would
be a good thing, and I'd love to have the freedom to expand my sig block
to, say, six or seven lines: I could sure use them. But the convention
we've actually got at present is four lines, and those who would seek to
enforce its observation should observe it themselves.

Every Man

Mr "old wolf" (anonymous coward)

I am still NOT IN YOUR KILLFILE.

This is bad for both of us. Heathfield started it,
you should follow his hint. Put me in your killfile
so I do not have to read your nonsense. My daughter
is 15 years old, and "mangas" are just japanese comics.

Not pornography.

Your perverted mind can't think
of anything else of course.

Oh, great, so she's just a thief then.

It's interesting that someone who makes his living selling non-free
software should have such a casual attitude to piracy. It's also
interesting that a human being should be so unconcerned that he has
failed to instil any basic sense of honesty into one of his children.

jacob navia

Every said:
Oh, great, so she's just a thief then.

It's interesting that someone who makes his living selling non-free
software should have such a casual attitude to piracy. It's also
interesting that a human being should be so unconcerned that he has
failed to instil any basic sense of honesty into one of his children.

Those films are japanese comics that are aired in TV too,
without anyone paying for them. The publicity in those sites
pays for the films.

Ok, porn did not work, then another insult will eventually go
isn't it?

Another anonymous COWARD!