Question on page redirection

Hoopster

Hello,

I have a family member who has one domain example yahoo.com and want's
to redirect that page to a new one say google.com. I don't have the
domain company's information at this time to change the DNS or
whatever. Is there a simple way for me to have it redirected to the
new website once I find out the domain host name? Also, can I
permanently move the name off that domain host to say a free one or
something?

Brian Cryer

Hoopster said:
Hello,

I have a family member who has one domain example yahoo.com and want's
to redirect that page to a new one say google.com. I don't have the
domain company's information at this time to change the DNS or
whatever. Is there a simple way for me to have it redirected to the
new website once I find out the domain host name? Also, can I
permanently move the name off that domain host to say a free one or
something?

Doing it via DNS is the best way, but if you can't then the other option is
to have a page on your "old" site which redirects visitors to your new one.
This could use either "HTTP-EQUIV Refresh" or JavaScript. I have notes on
both of these at http://www.cryer.co.uk/resources/javascript/script5.htm.

Hope this helps and is what you were after.

Michael Winter

I have a family member who has one domain example yahoo.com and
want's to redirect that page to a new one say google.com.
[snip]

... the other option is to have a page on your "old" site which
redirects visitors to your new one. This could use either "HTTP-EQUIV
Refresh" or JavaScript.

Though the OP would preferably use neither and redirect using HTTP,
instead; a 301 (Moved Permanently) response.

[snip]

Mike