Question on the FormsAuthentication.Encrypt method

Tommy

I want to encrypt the values of my cookies. I found out that I could
create a FormsAuthenticationTicket, and use the
FormsAuthentication.Encrypt method to encrypt the cookie.

However, I do not want to use FormsAuthentication feature. I already
have custom code to redirect the use back to the login page if they
haven't signed on.

My question is can I use the FormsAuthentication.Encrypt method to
encrypt my cookies without using the FormsAuthentication feature of
ASP.NET?

Tommy,

S. Justin Gengo

Tommy,

I think that you could but why not encrypt the cookies with a normal
encryption object? Then you won't have to tie in to all the forms
authentication objects which you may have to code around. Just encrypt the
data you're putting into the cookies and you're all set.

There are many good articles about how to use the encyrption object in .Net,
but if you want a quick and easy to use set of encryption methods I've
developed some. I'm offering all the object's I've built and their source
code on my web site, www.aboutfortunate.com, for free.

Just go to the code library and click the "Encryption" button in the left
menu.

Sincerely,

--
S. Justin Gengo, MCP