Question on the use of IFRAMES

news.frontiernet.net

I presently have a group of documents on various topics that are each a
separate HTML documents and accessed from a main document where the topics
are displayed as a list.

I would like to display each topic on that main document in an IFRAME on
mouse-over of the topic.

But, I also need to access each topic document as a link. This is the
challenge.

There was a way with Javascript to target a frame and have the shell come up
too. So, I am hoping there is some way to do this same whing with documents
in an IFRAME structure.

Is there a way to link to an IFRAME document and have the host shell display
with that topic already in the IFRAME?

For example, the main host document is recreation.htm. Among the topics on
that main document are golf.htm and tennis.htm. THese two doeumtns were
full HTML documents with headers and footers of their own. I can make these
appear in an IFRAME on recreation.htm. But if I need to be able to link
directly to the topic of golf or tennis. The material to be displayed in the
IFRAME cannot repeat the page headers again that are already on the
recreation.htm document., so the golf.htm and tennis.htm documents will NOT
HAVE HEADERS.

However, to be considerate to visitors needs for navigation, I do not want
to have these headerless and footerless documents to display outside of the
IFRAME environment of the main document recreation.htm which does have the
headers and and footers..

Is there a way to link to an IFRAME document and have the host shell display
with that topic already in the IFRAME?

If it is possible, does anyone have an example coding of how this is done?

Thanks!

Ivo

I would like to display each topic on that main document in an IFRAME on
mouse-over of the topic.

I don't think this is a good idea. Onmouseover is nice for small things like
image swaps, but if frames are created and pages loaded therein only because
I temporarily hover over a link on my way to the menubar (or anywhere for
that matter), I get paranoid very quickly. On some systems the window
containing the page doesn't even need to have focus for the mouseover to
work. Perhaps a tooltip or a floating div is more appropriate.
Ivo

news.frontiernet.net

You point is a good one. But then if one uses onmouseclick instead . . the
same questions pertain
..