    themselves (the backend?) The coding is all in lowercase wherever the domain
    is mentioned so I'm more concerned with user's browsers I think, right?

    Thanks for any input.
    Kev, Dec 28, 2004

  2. Kev wrote:

    > I know Linux is case sensitive but is that only within the scripts
    > themselves (the backend?) The coding is all in lowercase wherever the domain
    > is mentioned so I'm more concerned with user's browsers I think, right?

    The URL is case insensitive. The file names are case sensitive.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Dec 28, 2004

  3. Kev

    Timothy Guest

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:59:43 +0000, Kev wrote:

    > I have a site written in PHP and it uses a MySQL database for customers
    > hosted on a Linux server. I would like to advertise my site in newspapers
    > and flyers using uppercase lettering within the name to make the address
    > easier to read, eg. www.MyDomain.com rather than www.mydomain.com. Are
    > there any pitfalls to doing this?
    > I know Linux is case sensitive but is that only within the scripts
    > themselves (the backend?) The coding is all in lowercase wherever the
    > domain is mentioned so I'm more concerned with user's browsers I think,
    > right?
    >
    > Thanks for any input.

    As far as you clients inputting the url in caps... doesn't make
    a difference. www.mydomain.com or WWW.MYDOMAIN.COM, both will resolve to
    your ip.
    Timothy, Dec 28, 2004
  4. Travis Newbury wrote:
    > Kev wrote:
    >
    >> I know Linux is case sensitive but is that only within the scripts
    >> themselves (the backend?) The coding is all in lowercase wherever the
    >> domain
    >> is mentioned so I'm more concerned with user's browsers I think, right?

    > The URL is case insensitive. The file names are case sensitive.

    The domain name part of the URL is case-insensitive. The rest depends on
    the server.
    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 29, 2004
  5. Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    >>> I know Linux is case sensitive but is that only within the scripts
    >>> themselves (the backend?) The coding is all in lowercase wherever the
    >>> domain
    >>> is mentioned so I'm more concerned with user's browsers I think, right?

    >> The URL is case insensitive. The file names are case sensitive.

    > The domain name part of the URL is case-insensitive. The rest

    depends on
    > the server.

    Hmmm... Isn't that what I said? Re-reading, I can see were the
    confusion would come in.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Dec 29, 2004
  6. Kev

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:49:27 -0500, Travis Newbury <>
    wrote:

    >Hmmm... Isn't that what I said?

    No - you said "file names". As mapping fragments of a URL to files on
    a web server is the responsibility of Apache or similar, it's usually
    a reliable piece of code that is properly case-insensitive. When it
    comes to query parameters though, it's common that site-specific
    developer-written code goes completely to pieces here. Many "big name"
    sites have inconsistent behaviour where these are sensitive, or often
    some parameters are case-sensitive and some are insensitive.

    Case sensitivity on a publically accessible web server is of course a
    bade idea, wherever it occurs. It's "valid" to be sensitive, but it's
    never going to be a good idea - humans are just too inherntly
    case-insensitive.

    --
    Smert' spamionam
    Andy Dingley, Dec 29, 2004
  7. Kev

    Richard Guest

    Kev wrote:

    > I have a site written in PHP and it uses a MySQL database for customers
    > hosted on a Linux server. I would like to advertise my site in newspapers
    > and flyers using uppercase lettering within the name to make the address
    > easier to read, eg. www.MyDomain.com rather than www.mydomain.com. Are
    > there any pitfalls to doing this?
    > I know Linux is case sensitive but is that only within the scripts
    > themselves (the backend?) The coding is all in lowercase wherever the
    > domain is mentioned so I'm more concerned with user's browsers I think,
    > right?

    I don't believe ICANN cares either way.
    Unless the host changes the rules, then it would make a difference.

    www.MyHomeTown.com should work just fine.

    When an inquiry is made, it goes to the ICANN database and an attempt is
    made to look up the name first as is, then in lower case.
    If no match is found, it is rejected.
    Richard, Dec 29, 2004
  8. Kev

    Oli Filth Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > When an inquiry is made, it goes to the ICANN database and an attempt is
    > made to look up the name first as is, then in lower case.
    > If no match is found, it is rejected.

    Not quite true. ICANN is only an organising and regulatory body, not the
    DNS database itself.

    When a URL is requested, your DNS client first queries your default Name
    Server (whose IP address is typically supplied by your ISP), which then
    attempts to resolve the query by repeated referral, i.e. if it doesn't
    know then it returns the IP address of another Name Server that might,
    and the process repeats.

    This part of the process is certainly not case-sensitive; I doubt very
    much that two separate queries are made as you have suggested.

    AFAIK, virtual directory resolution is the duty of the hosting server
    and unless it's been written by retards, it should be case-insensitive
    as well.

    Oli
    Oli Filth, Dec 29, 2004
  9. "Kev" <> wrote:

    > I would like to advertise my site in newspapers
    > and flyers using uppercase lettering within the name to make the
    > address easier to read, eg. www.MyDomain.com rather than
    > www.mydomain.com. Are there any pitfalls to doing this?

    The only (minor) pitfall is that people might not know that domain
    names are case insensitive - as your question indicates! Therefore
    people might think that they need to use the shift key when typing in
    the address, and that's unnecessary complication.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 29, 2004
  10. Kev

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:43:23 -0600, "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001>
    wrote:

    >When an inquiry is made, it goes to the ICANN database and an attempt is
    >made to look up the name first as is, then in lower case.

    You really are quite staggeringly ignorant, aren't you? Would you
    _please_ shut the hell up, until you have some resemblance of a clue.
    Andy Dingley, Dec 29, 2004
  11. On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 02:30:30 +0000, Andy Dingley wrote:

    > No - you said "file names". As mapping fragments of a URL to files on
    > a web server is the responsibility of Apache or similar, it's usually
    > a reliable piece of code that is properly case-insensitive. When it
    > comes to query parameters though, it's common that site-specific
    > developer-written code goes completely to pieces here. Many "big name"
    > sites have inconsistent behaviour where these are sensitive, or often
    > some parameters are case-sensitive and some are insensitive.

    To clarify further:

    The DNS name is case IN-sensitive.

    Everything after the slash at the end of the site's DNS name is
    unpredictable. Could be case-sensitive, could be IN-sensitive. No way to
    tell.

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman |
    Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

    Drop "PANTS" to reply by email
    Jeffrey Silverman, Dec 29, 2004
  12. Jeffrey Silverman wrote:
    > To clarify further:
    > The DNS name is case IN-sensitive.
    > Everything after the slash at the end of the site's DNS name is
    > unpredictable. Could be case-sensitive, could be IN-sensitive. No

    way to
    > tell.

    Well can't the OP can tell because he knows the server he is on. You
    can I can not tell, but he/she knows.

    --
    -=tn=-
    Travis Newbury, Dec 29, 2004
  13. In article <>,
    says...
    > On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:43:23 -0600, "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >When an inquiry is made, it goes to the ICANN database and an attempt is
    > >made to look up the name first as is, then in lower case.

    > You really are quite staggeringly ignorant, aren't you? Would you
    > _please_ shut the hell up, until you have some resemblance of a clue.

    You're not going to try to hold your breath until Hell freezes over,
    too, are you?

    --
    Hywel http://kibo.org.uk/
    I do not eat quiche.
    Hywel Jenkins, Dec 29, 2004
  14. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Thanks everyone, I suspected it would be fine but I wasn't sure of any
    hidden 'dangers' by doing this.

    Happy New Year!

    Kev, Dec 30, 2004
  15. Kev

    Guest

    Kev <> wrote:
    > I have a site written in PHP and it uses a MySQL database for customers
    > hosted on a Linux server. I would like to advertise my site in newspapers
    > and flyers using uppercase lettering within the name to make the address
    > easier to read, eg. www.MyDomain.com rather than www.mydomain.com. Are there
    > any pitfalls to doing this?
    > I know Linux is case sensitive but is that only within the scripts
    > themselves (the backend?) The coding is all in lowercase wherever the domain
    > is mentioned so I'm more concerned with user's browsers I think, right?
    >
    > Thanks for any input.

    The domain name portion is case insensitive.

    If it's "WWW.EXAMPLE.COM" your ok,

    but if it's WWW.EXAMPLE.COM/~USERNAME/

    Or:

    WWW.EXAMPLE.COM/PROMOTION_CODE

    Then, you're not ok. (best to use numbers for promotion codes)

    Jamie
    (rot13) User Management Solutions
    , Dec 30, 2004
  16. Kev

    Lunchbox G4 Guest

    Kev wrote:
    > I have a site written in PHP and it uses a MySQL database for customers
    > hosted on a Linux server. I would like to advertise my site in newspapers
    > and flyers using uppercase lettering within the name to make the address
    > easier to read, eg. www.MyDomain.com rather than www.mydomain.com. Are there
    > any pitfalls to doing this?
    > I know Linux is case sensitive but is that only within the scripts
    > themselves (the backend?) The coding is all in lowercase wherever the domain
    > is mentioned so I'm more concerned with user's browsers I think, right?
    >
    > Thanks for any input.

    The browser should resolve that for you. Linux is particular with
    filenames, yes, but domain names should resolve before it hits the
    server. Most compliant browsers, Firefox especially, will automatically
    lowercase it on sending. Lastly, don't underestimate users. They will
    see the domain as www.MyDomain.com, but when it comes time to type it
    in, they will likely type it as they know they should, all lowercase. I
    think you're safe advertising however you want.

    //LBG4
    Lunchbox G4, Jan 3, 2005