question on using integrated secuity in DB call.

Bob

I would like to use integrated security for DB connection for my ASP.NET
applications. Since these apps have different databases (SQL Server), I
want each app to be able to access its own database. Say if I have 10 apps,
I'd need 10 logins, one login for each DB. Now throw in the windows
integrated security, I need 10 windows account. However, in order to run an
ASP.NET app under a certain identity, it has to have its own application
pool in IIS 6. This means I'd need 10 application pools. Partitioning the
server resources into 10 pools is not a good idea on Windows 2003 Standard
Edition as it divides the resources evenly among the pools. Some of my apps
have much heavier load than the others so it's bad. Is there another way to
leverage integrated security without having to create one app pool for each?

Thanks
Bob

Kevin Spencer

Hi Bob,

I'm curious as to why you think you need 10 logins to access one SQL Server?
Your question about application pooling is well taken. The way .Net
application pooling works, you generally don't need to manage it at all. It
manages itself. When you re-use a Connection String, a pooled Connection can
be re-used (automatically) by your application. However, with 10 Connection
Strings, you are ensuring at least 10 pooled Connections. It would seem more
efficient to use a single Windows login for all 10 databases, and assign
that one login the necessary permissions it needs for each database. Unless
there's something I'm missing. One reason I can think of for both using
Integrated Security and multiple logins would be if your web app used Active
Directory and required each user to log in as him/herself. If each user had
access to only one database, and not all 10, that would possibly require 10
logins, depending upon how you architect it. However, since your app is
actually the entity that connects to the database, and not each user, it
would probably be better to design your app to use a single login to connect
to all the databases, and business logic to grant or deny access to
individual clients.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
The sun never sets on
the Kingdom of Heaven

Bob

Kevin, It's for security. Correct my apps (note not just one app) are the
entities to connect to the DB server. I want app1 to be only able to access
DB1, app2 only to DB2, and so on. You see my point? I don't want app1 to
be able to access DB2 at all.

Thanks
Bob