Question re ASP vs PHP

Further to my recent inquiries about server-side scripting, it seems that
the web host for my friend's business site doesn't have PHP installed but
does have ASP (which I understand to be the Microsoft equivalent).

My impression is that I can't install PHP myself -- it's something the web
host has to do, correct?

Second question: How much does ASP differ from PHP?

These questions may sound naive as I'm pretty murky about server-side stuff.
.. .

Michael Fesser

..oO(M)
Further to my recent inquiries about server-side scripting, it seems that
the web host for my friend's business site doesn't have PHP installed but
does have ASP (which I understand to be the Microsoft equivalent).

My impression is that I can't install PHP myself -- it's something the web
host has to do, correct?
Correct.

Second question: How much does ASP differ from PHP?

66.6% ...

A != P
S != H
P == P

SCNR

In fact, they are two entirely different languages, but of course both
can be useful if you know how to deal with them. If you can do something
in one language, you can do it in the other as well. It all depends on
what's available on the server and your personal preferences.

Micha

J.O. Aho

M said:
My impression is that I can't install PHP myself -- it's something the web
host has to do, correct?

Thats right, the server side scripting language has to be enabled on the
webserver, or else the scripts are forwarded in plain text.

Second question: How much does ASP differ from PHP?

As much as basic from a modula2 like language.
One of the major things is that PHP you cfan run on the majority of operating
system, while asp you are limited to microsft servers (with some exceptions),
so the day you think of switching to another host, you may have to start all
over again. I do suggest you take and select another host.

Toby A Inkster

Michael said:
In fact, they are two entirely different languages, but of course both
can be useful if you know how to deal with them.

Technically ASP is not a language: it is a framework within which
languages operate. The two most commonly used languages within ASP are
VBScript and JScript. Perl is also popular. PHP is, IIRC, a possibility,
though quite experimental.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.12-12mdksmp, up 44 days, 52 min.]

Command Line Interfaces, Again
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/08/02/command-line-again/

Sherm Pendley

M said:
My impression is that I can't install PHP myself -- it's something the web
host has to do, correct?
Correct?

Second question: How much does ASP differ from PHP?

How much does English differ from Swahili? :)

sherm--

Brian Cryer

M said:
Further to my recent inquiries about server-side scripting, it seems that
the web host for my friend's business site doesn't have PHP installed but
does have ASP (which I understand to be the Microsoft equivalent).

Yes, ASP came from Microsoft. I believe ports are available for Unix
platforms which means there is no reason why ASP can't be available for both
Unix and Windows hosts.
My impression is that I can't install PHP myself -- it's something the web
host has to do, correct?

Second question: How much does ASP differ from PHP?

These questions may sound naive as I'm pretty murky about server-side
stuff.

I think others have covered most aspects of this. Just a couple of points:

1. PHP is available for both Unix and Windows hosts. Since its free for the
hosting company to install, there shouldn't be any reason why its not
available for all hosts. Might be worth asking them whether they could
supply PHP.

2. ASP has been superseeded by ASP.NET. This means in practise that ASP is
obsolete and (in my opinion) not worth learning.

If you are new to this then don't go the ASP route. (ASP.NET yes, but then
that limits you to Windows hosting which is more expensive.)

Tarscher

Yes, ASP came from Microsoft. I believe ports are available for Unix
platforms which means there is no reason why ASP can't be available for both
Unix and Windows hosts.

I think others have covered most aspects of this. Just a couple of points:

1. PHP is available for both Unix and Windows hosts. Since its free for the
hosting company to install, there shouldn't be any reason why its not
available for all hosts. Might be worth asking them whether they could
supply PHP.

2. ASP has been superseeded by ASP.NET. This means in practise that ASP is
obsolete and (in my opinion) not worth learning.

If you are new to this then don't go the ASP route. (ASP.NET yes, but then
that limits you to Windows hosting which is more expensive.)

I assume you want to compare ASP.NET and PHP? They are actually
incomparable because ASP.NET is a framework and PHP is a programming
language. You should compare ASP.NET to a framework that uses PHP
(CakePhp for example).

I both used ASP.NET and PHP (not a framework though) extensively and I
both don't like them:
- PHP has no consistency and is insecure. The object oriented model of
PHP4 is really, very, very, very bad. Although they improved it since
version 5 I think. On the other hand PHP has a very low learning curve
and a very big community. It's also open source.
- ASP.NET is overly complex and you need a heavy, bloated IDE for it
(Visual Studio). ASP.NET also uses strongly typed languages which need
a lot of compile time before you want to see changes you made. This
makes development cumbersome although Microsoft is working on
scripting language support for .NET and thus ASP (Python and Ruby).
Another drawback is that the learning curve is quite hard but this is
actually the case with most frameworks (vs languages). positive note:
ASP.NET is driven by the .NET framework which, in my opinion, is
great.