question regarding overriding of web.config in the root directory..in a web app in a virtual directo

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by dotnetprogram, Dec 26, 2003.

  1. I have a web application in the parent directory(http://localhost/). it has
    a web.config setting as follows:

    <authentication mode="Forms">
    <forms loginUrl="Login.aspx" name="UserToken" protection="All"
    timeout="60" path="/">
    <credentials passwordFormat="MD5">
    </credentials>
    </forms>
    </authentication>

    i installed another web application in a virtual directory named webapp1 (
    http://localhost/webapp1) .

    it has web.config as follows:

    <authentication mode="Forms">
    <forms name=".ASPXAUTH" protection="All" timeout="60" />

    </authentication>

    My problem would be that when i access my new web app1 like

    http://localhost/webapp1/

    instead of it redirected to default.aspx...it is redirected to the
    login.aspx of the parent web app and it can't find the login.aspx..becuase
    it doesn't have one..is there any way to override the auythentication
    settings of the parent root directory...

    Thanks....

    dotnetprogram, Dec 26, 2003

  2. dotnetprogram

    Joey Powell Guest

    Insert a <location> tag in the parent app with allow users=*. This
    will "free up" the access control from the parent app. Control should
    then roll down to the web.config of the app that you are trying to
    use. I have not tried this...just an idea.

    Joey Powell, Dec 27, 2003