Question regarding python2.5 migration from windows xp to windows 7

Discussion in 'Python' started by python_tsp, Oct 14, 2010.

  1. python_tsp

    python_tsp Guest

    Hi,

    We have a Python based test framework which is being used in various
    projects.

    Our current environment is
    Python (ver 2.5.1)
    wxPython (wxPython2.8-win32-ansi-2.8.6.0-py25)
    pywin32-210.win32-py2.5
    vcredist_x86.exe
    pyserial-2.2

    Our Framework is being currently used in Windows XP.

    The issue is:
    Soon our environment will be migrated from Windows XP to Windows 7.
    In this regard, I would be in need of suggestions/ideas/information
    regarding migration of our existing framework into windows 7
    environment.

    Do i need to migrate our framework from Python 2.5 to either Python
    2.6 or directly to Python 3.0 ? What happens to all supporting
    packages..etc

    Which is the best way ?

    We tried out of some option of using our framework under virtual xp
    context of windows 7.Thou it works for timebeing,i am not interested
    to having the same as kind of way of working for future.

    Please help

    Many thanks in advance

    - Pramod
    python_tsp, Oct 14, 2010

  2. python_tsp

    nn Guest

    On Oct 14, 2:37 am, python_tsp <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have a Python based test framework which is being used in various
    > projects.
    >
    > Our current environment is
    > Python (ver 2.5.1)
    > wxPython (wxPython2.8-win32-ansi-2.8.6.0-py25)
    > pywin32-210.win32-py2.5
    > vcredist_x86.exe
    > pyserial-2.2
    >
    > Our Framework is being currently used in Windows XP.
    >
    > The issue is:
    > Soon our environment will be migrated from Windows XP to Windows 7.
    > In this regard, I would be in need of suggestions/ideas/information
    > regarding migration of our existing framework into windows 7
    > environment.
    >
    > Do i need to migrate our framework from Python 2.5 to either Python
    > 2.6 or directly to Python 3.0 ? What happens to all supporting
    > packages..etc
    >
    > Which is the best way ?
    >
    > We tried out of some option of using our framework under virtual xp
    > context of windows 7.Thou it works for timebeing,i am not interested
    > to having the same as kind of way of working for future.
    >
    > Please help
    >
    > Many thanks in advance
    >
    > - Pramod

    I don't have Windows 7, but can't you just install Python 2.5 on
    Windows 7? As far as I know Windows 7 is mostly backwards compatible.
    nn, Oct 14, 2010

  3. python_tsp

    CM Guest

    On Oct 14, 2:37 am, python_tsp <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have a Python based test framework which is being used in various
    > projects.
    >
    > Our current environment is
    > Python (ver 2.5.1)
    > wxPython (wxPython2.8-win32-ansi-2.8.6.0-py25)
    > pywin32-210.win32-py2.5
    > vcredist_x86.exe
    > pyserial-2.2
    >
    > Our Framework is being currently used in Windows XP.
    >
    > The issue is:
    > Soon our environment will be migrated from Windows XP to Windows 7.
    > In this regard, I would be in need of suggestions/ideas/information
    > regarding migration of our existing framework into windows 7
    > environment.
    >
    > Do i need to migrate our framework from Python 2.5 to either Python
    > 2.6 or directly to Python 3.0 ? What happens to all supporting
    > packages..etc

    I can't address all the stuff you're using, but I tried an app
    that I am developing on Windows XP on Windows 7 and was glad to
    see it worked fine. I was using Python 2.5, wxPython 2.8.10.
    The best thing would be to just test it yourself on Win7 and
    if it works, there's nothing further to do.

    Che
    CM, Oct 14, 2010