Question

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Mark A. Odell, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. uno <> wrote in news::

    > Hello,
    > I am a beginner with the programming and I have some question. I am
    > reading manuals from Internet and some book from the library. In all
    > those documents the C language operate wint plain text files, and I want
    > to know how operate with formated files (msexcel, msaccess, mysql,
    > etc..). If it isn't possible with C, with C++ is possible?

    It's possible with both languages. You need only open the file in binary
    mode and read away. The hard part may be getting the binary file format
    from the creator. Read up on fopen(), fread(), fwrite(), fseek(), ftell(),
    and fclose().

    --
    - Mark ->
    Mark A. Odell, Sep 30, 2003

  2. Mark A. Odell

    uno Guest

    Hello,
    I am a beginner with the programming and I have some question. I am
    reading manuals from Internet and some book from the library. In all
    those documents the C language operate wint plain text files, and I want
    to know how operate with formated files (msexcel, msaccess, mysql,
    etc..). If it isn't possible with C, with C++ is possible?
    Thanks
    a beginner
    (P.D.- Sorry for my poor english)
    uno, Sep 30, 2003

    See also: http://www.wotsit.org

    --
    Thomas Matthews

    C++ newsgroup welcome message:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
    Other sites:
    Thomas Matthews, Sep 30, 2003
  4. Mark A. Odell

    Noah Roberts Guest

    uno wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I am a beginner with the programming and I have some question. I am
    > reading manuals from Internet and some book from the library. In all
    > those documents the C language operate wint plain text files, and I want
    > to know how operate with formated files (msexcel, msaccess, mysql,
    > etc..). If it isn't possible with C, with C++ is possible?
    > Thanks
    > a beginner
    > (P.D.- Sorry for my poor english)

    Since your question is already answered I will only say that "Question"
    is a poor subject for a help request. Something like "Binary file I/O
    in C" would be better. Some people may even have filters to weed out
    subjects like "help", "question", etc...

    NR
    Noah Roberts, Sep 30, 2003
  5. Mark A. Odell

    uno Guest

    Mark A. Odell wrote:
    > uno <> wrote in news::
    >

    >>Hello,
    >>I am a beginner with the programming and I have some question. I am
    >>reading manuals from Internet and some book from the library. In all
    >>those documents the C language operate wint plain text files, and I want
    >> to know how operate with formated files (msexcel, msaccess, mysql,
    >>etc..). If it isn't possible with C, with C++ is possible?

    > It's possible with both languages. You need only open the file in binary
    > mode and read away. The hard part may be getting the binary file format
    > from the creator. Read up on fopen(), fread(), fwrite(), fseek(), ftell(),
    > and fclose().

    Sorry, but I don't understand it.
    How example with a file make with msaccess (.mdb), I make a database, I
    make tables and relations (with the MSAccess form Office) and when I
    open it with notepad, the text is unintelligible.
    Do you want to say what it can open files with differents format (for
    ..mdb one form, for .exe other form, etc.)?
    I am reading fopen(), and I am looking to open a file in binary format,
    but, this will understand the format of file?

    thanks,
    uno
    uno, Sep 30, 2003
  6. Mark A. Odell

    uno Guest

    Re: Binary I/O file

    Noah Roberts wrote:
    > uno wrote:
    >

    >> Hello,
    >> I am a beginner with the programming and I have some question. I am
    >> reading manuals from Internet and some book from the library. In all
    >> those documents the C language operate wint plain text files, and I
    >> want to know how operate with formated files (msexcel, msaccess,
    >> mysql, etc..). If it isn't possible with C, with C++ is possible?
    >> Thanks
    >> a beginner
    >> (P.D.- Sorry for my poor english)
    >>

    > Since your question is already answered I will only say that "Question"
    > is a poor subject for a help request. Something like "Binary file I/O
    > in C" would be better. Some people may even have filters to weed out
    > subjects like "help", "question", etc...
    >
    > NR

    OK

    uno
    uno, Sep 30, 2003
  7. Mark A. Odell

    Martijn Guest

    uno wrote:
    > How example with a file make with msaccess (.mdb), I make a database,
    > I make tables and relations (with the MSAccess form Office) and when I
    > open it with notepad, the text is unintelligible.
    > Do you want to say what it can open files with differents format (for
    > .mdb one form, for .exe other form, etc.)?
    > I am reading fopen(), and I am looking to open a file in binary
    > format, but, this will understand the format of file?

    No it won't (there too many file formats to make a thing like this generic).
    What he is trying to say, is that you need to get information on how to
    interpret the file (like the suggested wotsit.org, and there are more) to
    turn the illegible gibberish into something sensible.

    It is possible, however, that libraries are available for such operations.
    But that is off topic here. (On another, completely, entirely and utterly
    off topic note: sometimes it helps to use ODBC to get easy access to MS
    Office databases and spreadsheets).

    Good luck,

    --
    Martijn
    http://www.sereneconcepts.nl
    Martijn, Sep 30, 2003
  8. Mark A. Odell

    Fao, Sean Guest

    "uno" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Mark A. Odell wrote:
    > > uno <> wrote in news::
    > >

    > >>Hello,
    > >>I am a beginner with the programming and I have some question. I am
    > >>reading manuals from Internet and some book from the library. In all
    > >>those documents the C language operate wint plain text files, and I want
    > >> to know how operate with formated files (msexcel, msaccess, mysql,
    > >>etc..). If it isn't possible with C, with C++ is possible?

    > > It's possible with both languages. You need only open the file in binary
    > > mode and read away. The hard part may be getting the binary file format
    > > from the creator. Read up on fopen(), fread(), fwrite(), fseek(),

    ftell(),
    > > and fclose().
    > >

    > Sorry, but I don't understand it.
    > How example with a file make with msaccess (.mdb), I make a database, I
    > make tables and relations (with the MSAccess form Office) and when I
    > open it with notepad, the text is unintelligible.
    > Do you want to say what it can open files with differents format (for
    > .mdb one form, for .exe other form, etc.)?
    > I am reading fopen(), and I am looking to open a file in binary format,
    > but, this will understand the format of file?

    What Mark is trying to say is that the functionality to work with these
    files is built into both languages. What isn't is the ability to parse
    every single format out there. When the designers create a format, they lay
    out the specifications. For example, the first 10 bytes may be reserved for
    another program to determine the file type and version. For all we know,
    the names of tables in an Access database could start at offset 20 and end
    with two terminating 0's and the number 7. There's an infinite number of
    possibilities, all of which are off-topic for this newsgroup. Have fun and
    if you run into trouble writing some code, I'm sure one of the experts here
    would be glad to help you along your way.

    Good luck,

    Sean
    Fao, Sean, Sep 30, 2003
  9. Mark A. Odell

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "Fao, Sean" <-WANT-NO-SPAM> wrote in message
    > "uno" <> wrote in message news:...
    > > Mark A. Odell wrote:

    want

    > > > It's possible with both languages. You need only open the file in

    binary
    > > > mode and read away. The hard part may be getting the binary file

    format
    > > > from the creator. Read up on fopen(), fread(), fwrite(), fseek(),

    > ftell(),
    > > > and fclose().
    > > >

    > > Sorry, but I don't understand it.
    > > How example with a file make with msaccess (.mdb), I make a database, I
    > > make tables and relations (with the MSAccess form Office) and when I
    > > open it with notepad, the text is unintelligible.
    > > Do you want to say what it can open files with differents format (for
    > > .mdb one form, for .exe other form, etc.)?
    > > I am reading fopen(), and I am looking to open a file in binary format,
    > > but, this will understand the format of file?
    > >

    > What Mark is trying to say is that the functionality to work with these
    > files is built into both languages. What isn't is the ability to parse
    > every single format out there. When the designers create a format, they

    lay
    > out the specifications. For example, the first 10 bytes may be reserved

    for
    > another program to determine the file type and version. For all we know,
    > the names of tables in an Access database could start at offset 20 and end
    > with two terminating 0's and the number 7. There's an infinite number of
    > possibilities,

    Yes, and another possiblity (actually a probability)
    is that the authors of these file formats and the
    software which uses them will update this format
    from time to time. Which is why it is a much better
    idea to use the provided (if it is provided) interfaces
    for accessing these files (e.g. MS's ODBC interface).
    E.g. if you figure out the binary format of MS Word
    documents, and write a program to read and/or write
    these files, and the format changes, you're up the
    proverbial creek. :)

    None of these issues are simple for the novice programmer,
    so be patient while learning.

    HTH,
    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Sep 30, 2003
  10. uno wrote:

    > Mark A. Odell wrote:
    >> uno <> wrote in news::
    >>

    >>>Hello,
    >>>I am a beginner with the programming and I have some question. I am
    >>>reading manuals from Internet and some book from the library. In all
    >>>those documents the C language operate wint plain text files, and I want
    >>> to know how operate with formated files (msexcel, msaccess, mysql,
    >>>etc..). If it isn't possible with C, with C++ is possible?

    >> It's possible with both languages. You need only open the file in binary
    >> mode and read away. The hard part may be getting the binary file format
    >> from the creator. Read up on fopen(), fread(), fwrite(), fseek(),
    >> ftell(), and fclose().

    Poor advice, IMHO. It's certainly possible, and IIRC it's even been done by
    at least one subscriber to this newsgroup, but doing it this way for
    Microsoft formats is just asking for pain and suffering.

    > Sorry, but I don't understand it.
    > How example with a file make with msaccess (.mdb), I make a database, I
    > make tables and relations (with the MSAccess form Office) and when I
    > open it with notepad, the text is unintelligible.
    > Do you want to say what it can open files with differents format (for
    > .mdb one form, for .exe other form, etc.)?
    > I am reading fopen(), and I am looking to open a file in binary format,
    > but, this will understand the format of file?

    You'd be a lot better off asking this question in a Windows newsgroup such
    as comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 - where they will tell you all about
    COM, structured storage, compound documents, IStorage, IStream, etc.

    --
    Richard Heathfield :
    Richard Heathfield, Sep 30, 2003
  11. Mark A. Odell

    Micah Cowan Guest

    uno <> writes:

    > Hello,
    > I am a beginner with the programming and I have some question. I
    > am reading manuals from Internet and some book from the
    > library. In all those documents the C language operate wint plain
    > text files, and I want to know how operate with formated files
    > (msexcel, msaccess, mysql, etc..). If it isn't possible with C,
    > with C++ is possible?
    > Thanks
    > a beginner
    > (P.D.- Sorry for my poor english)

    Hi uno,

    First of all, please use more specific summaries in your subject
    line: this is for your own good, as well as to avoid ticking off
    the regulars. There are many readers here who skim based on the
    subject line, and your subject line doesn't include enough
    information to determine whether someone should bother reading
    the message or not, so many people will just skip it.

    Now, as to your question: pretty much any programming language
    which operates on files can deal with files of a specific file
    format; however, you need to know how those files are formatted
    before you can deal with them. http://www.wotsit.org is
    an invaluable archive of a variety of formats; however, MS
    proprietary formats tend to be very tricky to handy because MS
    typically does not publish their formats. Also, you can
    frequently find C libraries which have already done the dirty
    work for you, providing a friendly interface to the format.

    HTH,
    Micah
    Micah Cowan, Oct 1, 2003
  12. "Richard Heathfield" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > uno wrote:
    >
    > > Mark A. Odell wrote:
    > >> uno <> wrote in news::

    [....]

    > >> It's possible with both languages. You need only open the file in

    binary
    > >> mode and read away. The hard part may be getting the binary file format
    > >> from the creator. Read up on fopen(), fread(), fwrite(), fseek(),
    > >> ftell(), and fclose().

    > Poor advice, IMHO. It's certainly possible, and IIRC it's even been done

    by
    > at least one subscriber to this newsgroup, but doing it this way for
    > Microsoft formats is just asking for pain and suffering.

    I'd even say, _never_ do it in production code, but sometimes an ugly hack
    may be necessary, just for one run.
    <OT> That kind of hack paid me beautiful holydays with my family two years
    ago, when a customer had inadvertent deleted a table from a huge Access
    database (no backup, of course :), and there is no official way to
    "undelete" records in this case, but the information is still there..) </OT>

    [....]

    regards
    Robert
    Robert Stankowic, Oct 1, 2003
  13. Mark A. Odell

    uno Guest

    Micah Cowan wrote:
    > uno <> writes:
    >

    >>Hello,
    >>I am a beginner with the programming and I have some question. I
    >>am reading manuals from Internet and some book from the
    >>library. In all those documents the C language operate wint plain
    >>text files, and I want to know how operate with formated files
    >>(msexcel, msaccess, mysql, etc..). If it isn't possible with C,
    >>with C++ is possible?
    >>Thanks
    >>a beginner
    >>(P.D.- Sorry for my poor english)

    > Hi uno,
    >
    > First of all, please use more specific summaries in your subject
    > line: this is for your own good, as well as to avoid ticking off
    > the regulars. There are many readers here who skim based on the
    > subject line, and your subject line doesn't include enough
    > information to determine whether someone should bother reading
    > the message or not, so many people will just skip it.
    >
    > Now, as to your question: pretty much any programming language
    > which operates on files can deal with files of a specific file
    > format; however, you need to know how those files are formatted
    > before you can deal with them. http://www.wotsit.org is
    > an invaluable archive of a variety of formats; however, MS
    > proprietary formats tend to be very tricky to handy because MS
    > typically does not publish their formats. Also, you can
    > frequently find C libraries which have already done the dirty
    > work for you, providing a friendly interface to the format.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Micah

    OK, now I understand it.

    Thanks,