    wrap it in Python. Is there a specific forum that covers extending and
    embedding Python, or are those type of questions O.K. on this list?

    Scott Huey

    Redefined Horizons, Jun 9, 2006

  2. Redefined Horizons wrote:
    > I've got a third-part application that exposes a C API. I'd like to
    > wrap it in Python. Is there a specific forum that covers extending and
    > embedding Python, or are those type of questions O.K. on this list?

    This is the place. Swig & Pyrex are a couple of standard answers.

    --Scott David Daniels

    Scott David Daniels, Jun 9, 2006

  3. Redefined Horizons

    malv Guest

    Redefined Horizons wrote:
    > I've got a third-part application that exposes a C API. I'd like to
    > wrap it in Python. Is there a specific forum that covers extending and
    > embedding Python, or are those type of questions O.K. on this list?
    >
    > Scott Huey

    Over the years, many posts (and questions) have come up on dynamically
    importing and reloading modules and the inadequacy of the now available
    import and reload() features. This should enable one to modify or add
    code at runtime without having to restart the application.
    Unfortunately, few respondents understand the implications of this
    possibility. Regrettably also some display their ignorance by swinging
    their self perceived weight around.

    James Coplien, a Bell Laboratories Scientist, published "Advanced C++
    Programming Styles and Idioms". Although now 15 years old, this book
    still has today quite some impact. Of particular interest for the
    problem at hand is Chapter 9 which presents idioms supporting
    incremental run-time update. Further Coplien illustrates in this
    chapter the major advantage gained by languages like Smalltalk and Lisp
    in this matter by having incremental run-time update as a built-in
    feature.

    Reading Coplien may further the cause of this very basic missing
    requirement in Python,

    malv, Jun 10, 2006
  4. malv wrote:

    > Over the years, many posts (and questions) have come up on dynamically
    > importing and reloading modules and the inadequacy of the now available
    > import and reload() features.

    and this is related to extending Python with code from existing C
    libraries in exactly what way ?

    > Reading Coplien may further the cause of this very basic missing
    > requirement in Python,

    so, what are you waiting for ? just do it, and post a patch when you're
    done.

    </F>

    Fredrik Lundh, Jun 10, 2006