Questions about Java SE Real-Time

Discussion in 'Java' started by Ulrich Scholz, Oct 31, 2007.

  1. Dear all,

    As part of the EU project MUSIC (www.music-ist.eu), I'm developing a
    method,
    called divide and conquer (D&C), to distribute (parts of)
    applications
    onto an ensemble of devices. As a result, otherwise unrelated,
    third-
    party applications can end up on the same device, thus competing for
    memory and CPU. (Check out Publications > Publications related to
    MUSIC > Divide and Conquer on the MUSIC portal).

    One problem in this context is the arbitration of memory and CPU among
    otherwise unrelated applications. I had a look at Java SE Real-Time
    and it seems that this allows to set arbitrary limits to the CPU
    consumption of applications. Regarding memory I'm not sure.

    As I am new to real time systems, I'd like to ask some simple
    beginners questions. I'd be grateful if someone could point me to a
    related user forum or would offer me to give me some answers.

    In particular I'd like to know:
    - Can Java SE Real-Time set an arbitrary limits to the CPU
    consumption of an application?
    - Can Java SE Real-Time set an arbitrary limits to the
    memoryconsumption of an application?

    Thank you,

    Ulrich

    Ulrich Scholz, Oct 31, 2007