Questions about Java SE Real-Time

Ulrich Scholz

Dear all,

As part of the EU project MUSIC (www.music-ist.eu), I'm developing a
method,
called divide and conquer (D&C), to distribute (parts of)
applications
onto an ensemble of devices. As a result, otherwise unrelated,
third-
party applications can end up on the same device, thus competing for
memory and CPU. (Check out Publications > Publications related to
MUSIC > Divide and Conquer on the MUSIC portal).

One problem in this context is the arbitration of memory and CPU among
otherwise unrelated applications. I had a look at Java SE Real-Time
and it seems that this allows to set arbitrary limits to the CPU
consumption of applications. Regarding memory I'm not sure.

As I am new to real time systems, I'd like to ask some simple
beginners questions. I'd be grateful if someone could point me to a
related user forum or would offer me to give me some answers.

In particular I'd like to know:
- Can Java SE Real-Time set an arbitrary limits to the CPU
consumption of an application?
- Can Java SE Real-Time set an arbitrary limits to the
memoryconsumption of an application?

Thank you,

Ulrich