questions about login and "remember me next time"

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Dan, Feb 14, 2007.

  1. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Hi,

    I use the logon control for logging into the application. When logging and
    checking the option "remember me next time" and then closing the browser
    without to press any logout button which logout the user, the next time i
    start the browser and go to the application, i don't need to login. That's
    ok.

    My questions are:

    1) when logging and checking the option "remember me next time" but then
    pressing the button logout ( with the code: FormsAuthentication.SignOut() )
    and closing the browser, the next time i start the browser and go to the
    application, i have to login again.
    Is this logical?
    2) And if yes, is it not better not to put a logout button, but just leaving
    the browser?
    3) Is there a difference between closing the browser and logout?

    Thanks
    Dan

    Dan, Feb 14, 2007

  2. "Dan" <> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D:...
    > My questions are:
    >
    > 1) when logging and checking the option "remember me next time" but then
    > pressing the button logout ( with the code:
    > FormsAuthentication.SignOut() ) and closing the browser, the next time i
    > start the browser and go to the application, i have to login again.
    > Is this logical?

    Yes. By pressing logout it implies the user wants to "wrap out information
    preserved on the PC to login automatically".

    > 2) And if yes, is it not better not to put a logout button, but just
    > leaving the browser?

    You'd better put the logout button there, just in case they want to switch
    user.
    And since there is tabbed browsing, and in certain browsers all tabbed pages
    shares login sessions, it may not be desirable to require them to exit
    browser to logout.

    > 3) Is there a difference between closing the browser and logout?

    You can logout but conserves non-user related preferences (like display
    langauge), plus like I said above, sometimes closing browser is not
    desirable.

    Lau Lei Cheong, Feb 14, 2007

  3. Dan

    Dan Guest