    people with much more experience and skill but there are some serious
    needs by people who do not have the skills to upkeep any software
    based project.

    bio_enthusiast, Jun 27, 2006

  2. On 2006-06-27, bio_enthusiast <> wrote:

    > I was wondering how to go about starting an open source
    > project for doing routine biological problems?

    Generally you either start writing code to fulfill a need of
    yours, or you pay somebody else to write it for you.

    > There is a plethora of scripts and a fairly large biopython
    > project to back up anyone who tried, these however cater to
    > the bioinformatics community and it loses the vast majority of
    > the wet-lab scientists. How can someone who is used to writing
    > small scripts and doing wet-lab work contribute to the open
    > source community?

    For existing projects, you can help a lot by submitting good
    bug reports, documentation enhancements or translations,
    patches, etc.

    > Starting software projects seems to be the domain of people
    > with much more experience and skill but there are some serious
    > needs by people who do not have the skills to upkeep any
    > software based project.

    That's what money is for. People with no need for (or interest
    in) program X (and indeed don't even know about the need)
    aren't going to write program X unless you pay them to. You
    could try to recruit some SW types to write the code for free,
    but they're probably already busy working on OSS projects that
    they need/want.

    There are sites where you can offer "bounties" as incentives
    for people to work on the OSS you want them to work on.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! Are you still
    at SEXUALLY ACTIVE? Did you

    Grant Edwards, Jun 27, 2006

  3. bio_enthusiast wrote:
    > I was wondering how to go about starting an open source project for
    > doing routine biological problems? There is a plethora of scripts and
    > a fairly large biopython project to back up anyone who tried, these
    > however cater to the bioinformatics community and it loses the vast
    > majority of the wet-lab scientists. How can someone who is used to
    > writing small scripts and doing wet-lab work contribute to the open
    > source community? Starting software projects seems to be the domain of
    > people with much more experience and skill but there are some serious
    > needs by people who do not have the skills to upkeep any software
    > based project.

    If you've written a few small scripts that might be of use to others and
    that you assume that there are others who do the same, you might start
    with a wiki or something like the Python Cookbook
    (http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Python/Cookbook/), but geared toward
    labs and biology.

    If this gains any traction (that is if you get additional code snippets,
    people are commenting etc.), after a while, it might be useful to look
    at the material and see if there is enough code that warrants a library.
    This does not mean to simply package all the scripts into one package,
    but to see if there are any common tasks among the scripts to 'refactor'
    them into a library.

    Daniel

    Daniel Dittmar, Jun 28, 2006
  4. bio_enthusiast

    Paul McGuire Guest

    "Daniel Dittmar" <> wrote in message
    > If you've written a few small scripts that might be of use to others and
    > that you assume that there are others who do the same, you might start
    > with a wiki or something like the Python Cookbook
    > (http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Python/Cookbook/), but geared toward
    > labs and biology.

    I would suggest going the wiki route - wikispaces.com makes this very easy,
    and free if you don't mind ads on your wikipages. Could be a
    low-cost/low-effort way to get started.

    -- Paul

    Paul McGuire, Jun 28, 2006
  5. Paul McGuire wrote:
    > "Daniel Dittmar" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > If you've written a few small scripts that might be of use to
    > > others and that you assume that there are others who do the same,
    > > you might start with a wiki or something like the Python Cookbook
    > > (http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Python/Cookbook/), but geared
    > > toward labs and biology.

    > I would suggest going the wiki route - wikispaces.com makes this very
    > easy, and free if you don't mind ads on your wikipages. Could be a
    > low-cost/low-effort way to get started.

    Specifically, I would recommend that you build up a links list and/or
    repository of scripts that you find relevant. Eventually, if there's
    enough accumulation, somebody might express interest in creating
    a more integrated tool based on them. Maybe there's somebody who'd
    be willing to do that, but doesn't know where the material is.

    Cheers,
    Terry

    --
    Terry Hancock ()