Questions on migration from VS2005 to VS2010

Chris S

Hi folks,

As is the case every couple of years, I go through a nerve-wracking
transition to a new development environment. The thing is, I've become
really comfortable with VS2005, and our small team has a very simple and
effective approach to development. I am nervous that VS2010 will negatively
effect our productivity; but don't want to get too "far behind" toolset
versions.

So, that being said, I wanted to ask a few questions on what to expect when
moving from VS2005 to VS2010 on an upcoming project. Your feedback is
highly appreciated.

Questions

Can we still use ObjectDataSources (in our ASPX pages) and access our static
methods from them? This has been my preferred way to access data from
stored procedures in the database, and allows others to catch on quickly
when jumping in to our projects.

Are Masterpages and webcontent forms still the same in concept? (e.g.
Masterpages hold common elements such as CSS references, headers and
footers, etc).

My projects are very small (2-5 people). Can we still use Visual SourceSafe
to check-in and check-out files with Visual Studio 2010?

In all of our projects, we rely on Microsoft EntLib to reduce common data
access tasks when accessing our database. Is Microsoft EntLib still
supported, or is it no longer necessary?

Are GridViews (and secondarily, Repeaters) still used as data display
controls, or is there a more preferred control to use in Visual Studio 2010?

Are Web Application Projects still supported, whereby we have a "BIN" folder
with binary files which get re-compiled?

Does the "Publish" function still exist, where only changed files are
updated to a staging area?

In our VS2005 projects, we add the appropriate DLLs and web.config
references to enable MS AJAX; is this natively included in new projects, or
do we still need to "add" AJAX?

Can we still store all of our main application settings in web.config? We
currently use it for db connections strings; file authorization fules; SSL
settings; customErrors; and similar.

Can I install VS2010 side-by-side with VS2005? I still have VS2005
applications which I don't want to upgrade because they are in production
and only require minor updates.

Thanks for any feedback,
Chris

Mr. Arnold

Chris S said:
[...]

I guess the best answer to all of this is to do a sandbox situation with
your solution with VS2010 and have at it, test, and see what is the
difference before you move from VS2005 to 2010.

I guess you need to do your homework first and some testing. But I suspect
it's not too much of a difference between VS2005 and 2010, which VS 2008 was
backwards compatible with 2005, when the company I worked for migrated to
2008 from 2005.

Chris S

I guess the best answer to all of this is to do a sandbox situation with
your solution with VS2010 and have at it, test, and see what is the
difference before you move from VS2005 to 2010.

I guess you need to do your homework first and some testing. But I suspect
it's not too much of a difference between VS2005 and 2010, which VS 2008
was backwards compatible with 2005, when the company I worked for migrated
to 2008 from 2005.

Yep, exactly what I'm doing.

I'm still trying to get DAAB (EntLib) working properly, as I can't find many
samples for VS2010. Also working with the new AJAX.

Wish there was a bit more samples out there, as VS2008 samples don't match
up exactly.