Questions on migration from VS2005 to VS2010

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Chris S, Sep 16, 2010.

  1. Chris S

    Chris S Guest

    Hi folks,

    As is the case every couple of years, I go through a nerve-wracking
    transition to a new development environment. The thing is, I've become
    really comfortable with VS2005, and our small team has a very simple and
    effective approach to development. I am nervous that VS2010 will negatively
    effect our productivity; but don't want to get too "far behind" toolset
    versions.

    So, that being said, I wanted to ask a few questions on what to expect when
    moving from VS2005 to VS2010 on an upcoming project. Your feedback is
    highly appreciated.

    Questions

    Can we still use ObjectDataSources (in our ASPX pages) and access our static
    methods from them? This has been my preferred way to access data from
    stored procedures in the database, and allows others to catch on quickly
    when jumping in to our projects.

    Are Masterpages and webcontent forms still the same in concept? (e.g.
    Masterpages hold common elements such as CSS references, headers and
    footers, etc).

    My projects are very small (2-5 people). Can we still use Visual SourceSafe
    to check-in and check-out files with Visual Studio 2010?

    In all of our projects, we rely on Microsoft EntLib to reduce common data
    access tasks when accessing our database. Is Microsoft EntLib still
    supported, or is it no longer necessary?

    Are GridViews (and secondarily, Repeaters) still used as data display
    controls, or is there a more preferred control to use in Visual Studio 2010?

    Are Web Application Projects still supported, whereby we have a "BIN" folder
    with binary files which get re-compiled?

    Does the "Publish" function still exist, where only changed files are
    updated to a staging area?

    In our VS2005 projects, we add the appropriate DLLs and web.config
    references to enable MS AJAX; is this natively included in new projects, or
    do we still need to "add" AJAX?

    Can we still store all of our main application settings in web.config? We
    currently use it for db connections strings; file authorization fules; SSL
    settings; customErrors; and similar.

    Can I install VS2010 side-by-side with VS2005? I still have VS2005
    applications which I don't want to upgrade because they are in production
    and only require minor updates.

    Thanks for any feedback,
    Chris

    Chris S, Sep 16, 2010

  2. Chris S

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Chris S" <> wrote in message
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > As is the case every couple of years, I go through a nerve-wracking
    > transition to a new development environment. The thing is, I've become
    > really comfortable with VS2005, and our small team has a very simple and
    > effective approach to development. I am nervous that VS2010 will
    > negatively effect our productivity; but don't want to get too "far behind"
    > toolset versions.
    >
    > So, that being said, I wanted to ask a few questions on what to expect
    > when moving from VS2005 to VS2010 on an upcoming project. Your feedback
    > is highly appreciated.
    >

    > Questions
    >
    > Can we still use ObjectDataSources (in our ASPX pages) and access our
    > static methods from them? This has been my preferred way to access data
    > from stored procedures in the database, and allows others to catch on
    > quickly when jumping in to our projects.
    >

    > Are Masterpages and webcontent forms still the same in concept? (e.g.
    > Masterpages hold common elements such as CSS references, headers and
    > footers, etc).
    >

    > My projects are very small (2-5 people). Can we still use Visual
    > SourceSafe to check-in and check-out files with Visual Studio 2010?
    >

    > In all of our projects, we rely on Microsoft EntLib to reduce common data
    > access tasks when accessing our database. Is Microsoft EntLib still
    > supported, or is it no longer necessary?
    >

    > Are GridViews (and secondarily, Repeaters) still used as data display
    > controls, or is there a more preferred control to use in Visual Studio
    > 2010?
    >

    > Are Web Application Projects still supported, whereby we have a "BIN"
    > folder with binary files which get re-compiled?
    >

    > Does the "Publish" function still exist, where only changed files are
    > updated to a staging area?
    >

    > In our VS2005 projects, we add the appropriate DLLs and web.config
    > references to enable MS AJAX; is this natively included in new projects,
    > or do we still need to "add" AJAX?
    >

    > Can we still store all of our main application settings in web.config? We
    > currently use it for db connections strings; file authorization fules; SSL
    > settings; customErrors; and similar.
    >

    > Can I install VS2010 side-by-side with VS2005? I still have VS2005
    > applications which I don't want to upgrade because they are in production
    > and only require minor updates.

    I guess the best answer to all of this is to do a sandbox situation with
    your solution with VS2010 and have at it, test, and see what is the
    difference before you move from VS2005 to 2010.

    I guess you need to do your homework first and some testing. But I suspect
    it's not too much of a difference between VS2005 and 2010, which VS 2008 was
    backwards compatible with 2005, when the company I worked for migrated to
    2008 from 2005.

    Mr. Arnold, Sep 17, 2010

  3. Chris S

    Chris S Guest

    > I guess the best answer to all of this is to do a sandbox situation with
    > your solution with VS2010 and have at it, test, and see what is the
    > difference before you move from VS2005 to 2010.
    >
    > I guess you need to do your homework first and some testing. But I suspect
    > it's not too much of a difference between VS2005 and 2010, which VS 2008
    > was backwards compatible with 2005, when the company I worked for migrated
    > to 2008 from 2005.

    Yep, exactly what I'm doing.

    I'm still trying to get DAAB (EntLib) working properly, as I can't find many
    samples for VS2010. Also working with the new AJAX.

    Wish there was a bit more samples out there, as VS2008 samples don't match
    up exactly.

    Chris S, Sep 21, 2010