Questions regarding object translation using JNI

Rowland

Hi all,

I'm using the Java Native Interface to access a VB .NET library (albeit one
which uses COM rather than .NET - don't ask!!!) which I do not want to
rewrite in Java.
I've got it working fine by writing wrappers in VB, but one function in this
library will return an ADO recordset. I think I'm fairly safe in assuming
that I cannot simply use the VB recordset in Java, so my question is : What
techniques/technologies can be used to allow Java to interrogate objects
created in a different language (Visual Basic ADO RecordSet's in this case,
but I would prefer an answer for the more general case).

If the only answer is something painful like "Convert it into a translatable
state, e.g. a string array" then please let me know so I don't waste any
more time looking for a solution.

Many thanks,

Rowland.

Chris Uppal

Rowland said:
I'm using the Java Native Interface to access a VB .NET library (albeit
one which uses COM rather than .NET - don't ask!!!) which I do not want to
rewrite in Java.
I've got it working fine by writing wrappers in VB, but one function in
this library will return an ADO recordset. I think I'm fairly safe in
assuming that I cannot simply use the VB recordset in Java, so my
question is : What techniques/technologies can be used to allow Java to
interrogate objects created in a different language (Visual Basic ADO
RecordSet's in this case, but I would prefer an answer for the more
general case).

Nobody else has answered, so I'll risk an ignorant suggestion:

I'd have thought that your best bet would be to find a COM<->Java bridge (or
ActiveX<->Java bridge), of which there are several, including at least one
commercial product[*]. COM's objects are not /that/ unlike Java's, so you'd
end up using the ADO recordset as an object like any other.

([*] I think the name's "JNIWrapper" -- see Google)

-- chris