Questions regarding the daemon module.

Discussion in 'Python' started by David Lambert, Jan 28, 2012.

  1. I was looking for a simple way to daemonize a Python process, and found:

    http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3143/

    I used easy_install to add this package (I thought), but when I
    attempted to use the example in the above link, I got the error:

    AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'DaemonContext'

    To my surprise when looking at the module that was installed, I found
    something completely different to what was in the documentation:

    >>> dir(daemon)

    ['__builtins__', '__doc__', '__file__', '__name__', '__package__',
    'basic_daemonize', 'checkPID', 'daemonize', 'errno', 'os', 'sys',
    'writePID']

    >>> print daemon.__doc__

    None

    >>> print daemon.daemonize.__doc__

    None

    Further experimentation with this module yielded a working daemon, but I
    am concerned regarding its parentage and lack of documentation. Could
    someone explain these discrepancies?

    Best regards,

    Dave.
    David Lambert, Jan 28, 2012