Queueing in Python (ala JMS)

Stefan Arentz

Is there a JMS-like API available for Python? I would like to
quickly receive messages through the network and then process
those slowly in the backgound. In the Java world I would simply
create a (persistent) queue and tell the JSM provider to run
N messagehandlers parallel.

Is something like that available for Python?

S.

James

Stefan said:
Is there a JMS-like API available for Python? I would like to
quickly receive messages through the network and then process
those slowly in the backgound. In the Java world I would simply
create a (persistent) queue and tell the JSM provider to run
N messagehandlers parallel.

Is something like that available for Python?

You could always use Jython or JPype.

There is a wrapper for Spread that might be interesting for you.
http://www.zope.org/Members/tim_one/spread

Jonathan LaCour

Is there a JMS-like API available for Python? I would like to
quickly receive messages through the network and then process
those slowly in the backgound. In the Java world I would simply
create a (persistent) queue and tell the JSM provider to run
N messagehandlers parallel.

The closest thing to what you are looking for is the Spread Toolkit,
which is located at http://www.spread.org. Spread has Python
bindings available from the Python Package Index (http://python.org/
pypi).

Spread allows you to multicast messages to a large number of clients
without knowing anything about where those clients are, or how to
connect to them. It provides guarnateed and reliable delivery of
messages for connected clients. However, it does not provide what
JMS calls "durable" subscriptions in that you must be connected to
the network to be guaranteed to receive a message.

I have implemented a prototype distributed event system on top of the
spread toolkit that provides some durable subscription like
functionality. I am hoping to Open Source the code at some point in
the next few months, but in the meantime, you can achieve most of
what you need with spread.

Wolfgang Keller

Is there a JMS-like API available for Python?

Better. >:-> Omninotify, a Corba notification service implementation.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang Keller

James

Wolfgang said:
Better. >:-> Omninotify, a Corba notification service implementation.

Sincerely,

Wolfgang Keller

And it's ICE (a CORBA alternative with Python bindings) equivalent

IceStorm
A messaging service with support for federation. In contrast to most
other messaging or event services, IceStorm supports typed events,
meaning that broadcasting a message over a federation is as easy as
invoking a method on an interface.