    lt IE 6]> to get it to work with IE5 and IE5.5?

    Thanks for your help,
    Nick.
    e n | c k m a, Jul 20, 2004

  2. e n | c k m a

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Jul 20, 2004

  3. e n | c k m a

    Andy Dingley Guest

    "e n | c k m a" <> wrote in message news:<b5ZKc.8166$>...
    > If I were to use <!--[if IE 5]> to start a conditional comment,

    What's a "conditional comment" and what relation does this have to
    HTML?

    Conditional comments are a bogus idea from M$oft. Avoid them. You
    don't need them, they cause trouble and they're just plain _WRONG_.
    Andy Dingley, Jul 20, 2004
  4. e n | c k m a

    Rob Collyer Guest

    (Andy Dingley) wrote in

    > "e n | c k m a" <> wrote in message
    >> If I were to use <!--[if IE 5]> to start a conditional comment,

    > What's a "conditional comment" and what relation does this have to
    > HTML?
    >
    > Conditional comments are a bogus idea from M$oft. Avoid them. You
    > don't need them, they cause trouble and they're just plain _WRONG_.

    I agree.... they certainly are not in any w3c spec I've seen... and are
    IE specific.

    --
    Robert Collyer
    www.webforumz.com
    Rob Collyer, Jul 20, 2004
  5. e n | c k m a

    Webcastmaker Guest

    In article <Xns952C967288924webforumzwebforumzco@217.32.252.50>,
    says...
    > > What's a "conditional comment" and what relation does this have to
    > > HTML?
    > > Conditional comments are a bogus idea from M$oft. Avoid them. You
    > > don't need them, they cause trouble and they're just plain _WRONG_.

    > I agree.... they certainly are not in any w3c spec I've seen... and are
    > IE specific.

    Lots of things discussed here are IE specific. Just because you deem
    a subject not worthy of discussion does not mean that everyone does.
    --
    WebcastMaker
    www.webentations.com
    Webcastmaker, Jul 20, 2004
  6. e n | c k m a

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Rob Collyer <> wrote in message news:<Xns952C967288924webforumzwebforumzco@217.32.252.50>...

    > I agree.... they certainly are not in any w3c spec I've seen... and are
    > IE specific.

    They're not IE-specific. The main culprit for them is Word.

    IMHO, they're on topic to discuss hereabouts, but they're still not a
    good idea to use.
    Andy Dingley, Jul 20, 2004
  7. e n | c k m a

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:

    > Conditional comments are a bogus idea from M$oft. Avoid them. You
    > don't need them, they cause trouble and they're just plain _WRONG_.

    Conditional comments can actually be exceedingly useful to work around
    various microsoft bugs.

    Look at (for example) the source of http://hardcandy.org/. I serve up
    standard CSS to style the page, but then use a conditional comment to
    provide IE with some extras to cover over the problems in IE's box model.

    And of course, Conditional Comments have no ill-effects on
    standards-compliant browsers (apart from a small increase in the page
    size).

    PS: if you're using Opera or Mozilla, while you're there, check out the
    alt stylesheet. :)

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./catatonia/way_beyond_blue/01_lost_cat.ogg
    Toby Inkster, Jul 20, 2004
  8. > Conditional comments can actually be exceedingly useful to work around
    > various microsoft bugs.

    Exactly. They've been the best workaround I've found so far for the problems
    I'm having in IE5 and IE5.5. Sure, they're at least "five years old" like
    Brucie always says but, they're still being used and if I need to fix
    rendering bugs in them to make them presentable, then I'm gonna use
    conditional comments.
    e n | c k m a, Jul 20, 2004