Quick Conditional Comments Question

e n | c k m a

If I were to use <!--[if IE 5]> to start a conditional comment, would that
include IE 5.5? Or, would I need to specify something like <!--[if gt IE 4 &
lt IE 6]> to get it to work with IE5 and IE5.5?

Thanks for your help,
Nick.

Andy Dingley

e n | c k m a said:
If I were to use <!--[if IE 5]> to start a conditional comment,

What's a "conditional comment" and what relation does this have to
HTML?

Conditional comments are a bogus idea from M$oft. Avoid them. You
don't need them, they cause trouble and they're just plain _WRONG_.

Rob Collyer

(e-mail address removed) (Andy Dingley) wrote in
e n | c k m a said:
If I were to use <!--[if IE 5]> to start a conditional comment,

What's a "conditional comment" and what relation does this have to
HTML?

Conditional comments are a bogus idea from M$oft. Avoid them. You
don't need them, they cause trouble and they're just plain _WRONG_.

I agree.... they certainly are not in any w3c spec I've seen... and are
IE specific.

Webcastmaker

I agree.... they certainly are not in any w3c spec I've seen... and are
IE specific.

Lots of things discussed here are IE specific. Just because you deem
a subject not worthy of discussion does not mean that everyone does.

Andy Dingley

Rob Collyer said:
I agree.... they certainly are not in any w3c spec I've seen... and are
IE specific.

They're not IE-specific. The main culprit for them is Word.

IMHO, they're on topic to discuss hereabouts, but they're still not a
good idea to use.

Toby Inkster

Andy said:
Conditional comments are a bogus idea from M$oft. Avoid them. You
don't need them, they cause trouble and they're just plain _WRONG_.

Conditional comments can actually be exceedingly useful to work around
various microsoft bugs.

Look at (for example) the source of http://hardcandy.org/. I serve up
standard CSS to style the page, but then use a conditional comment to
provide IE with some extras to cover over the problems in IE's box model.

And of course, Conditional Comments have no ill-effects on
standards-compliant browsers (apart from a small increase in the page
size).

PS: if you're using Opera or Mozilla, while you're there, check out the
alt stylesheet. :)

e n | c k m a

Conditional comments can actually be exceedingly useful to work around
various microsoft bugs.

Exactly. They've been the best workaround I've found so far for the problems
I'm having in IE5 and IE5.5. Sure, they're at least "five years old" like
Brucie always says but, they're still being used and if I need to fix
rendering bugs in them to make them presentable, then I'm gonna use
conditional comments.