Quick question about <input name="...">

Discussion in 'HTML' started by David, Nov 16, 2006.

  1. David

    David Guest

    Hello,

    I have what should be a simple question but I can't find a reference
    to the answer. I've been diging through the W3C and other sources
    for the specifications on the <inpu> tag. Specifically, what is
    the maximum recommended length that should be supported by the
    name parameter?

    I've been doing some simple HTML Forms and decided to see what
    ASP and various other scripting languages could do. Anyway, like
    most novice users it didn't take me long to "shoot myself in the
    foot". I've been tying with MS IIS v6 on Windows XP, vbasic, ASP,
    and a rather simple task of reading some Jet Databases with some
    web forms.

    Part of a form I created today took a while to diagnose the true
    problem given the limited diagnostics on web projects. The line
    in my HTML Form was something like the following:

    <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="TwentyCharacterName1"
    VALUE="TwentyCharacterName1"/>

    The complaint offered by the server (detail diagnostics on) was
    that ['<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN""]' wasn't a valid value. It took me
    a while to discover what was unique about this particular line as
    I've used this statement for years with other servers. (mainly
    Apache) It seems that the real problem was that the 20-character
    name was too long. I'm guessing that IIS somehow detected the
    long name and generated an error my IE v7 browser could understand.
    It didn't look like there was time for a double exchange between
    the browser and server anyway. My problem was just using
    recognizable names for rather large pages.

    What is the maximum name length that browsers, servers,
    and CGI Posts should understand?

    Thank you,

    David
     
    David, Nov 16, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. "David" <> wrote:

    > Hello,


    Hi.

    > Part of a form I created today took a while to diagnose the true
    > problem given the limited diagnostics on web projects. The line
    > in my HTML Form was something like the following:
    >
    > <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="TwentyCharacterName1"
    > VALUE="TwentyCharacterName1"/>
    >
    > The complaint offered by the server (detail diagnostics on) was
    > that ['<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN""]' wasn't a valid value.


    I'm confused. What is the [' at the beginning of that, and the "]' at
    the end? If that (square brackets, mis-matched single quotes, extra
    double quote) are actually in your source or HTML somewhere, it's no
    wonder you're having trouble.

    And what exactly was the error text you were receiving?

    --
    Joel.
     
    Joel Shepherd, Nov 16, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. David

    David Guest

    Hello Joel,

    On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 05:25:36 UTC, Joel Shepherd <> wrote:

    > "David" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,

    >
    > Hi.
    >
    > > Part of a form I created today took a while to diagnose the true
    > > problem given the limited diagnostics on web projects. The line
    > > in my HTML Form was something like the following:
    > >
    > > <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="TwentyCharacterName1"
    > > VALUE="TwentyCharacterName1"/>
    > >
    > > The complaint offered by the server (detail diagnostics on) was
    > > that ['<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN""]' wasn't a valid value.

    >
    > I'm confused. What is the [' at the beginning of that, and the "]' at
    > the end? If that (square brackets, mis-matched single quotes, extra
    > double quote) are actually in your source or HTML somewhere, it's no
    > wonder you're having trouble.


    That is part of the error text, the only readable part, that IIS(?)
    returns when a form has a problem. The ']' is usually where the
    problem is, but is never actually shown. Kind of like a compiler
    that stops ahead of the word it can't parse.

    > And what exactly was the error text you were receiving?


    That was it. There is also an error number that is generally
    meaningless. x8005000A or something like that; I don't recall
    the specific number as it never seems to mean much. The error
    page is the result of a 500 (ill formatted HTML) and usually
    includes the line number and perhaps column of the problem.
    The line count is usually off by a few lines.

    I've determined that the long NAME value was the problem.
    I'll write another script today to check all the sizes and
    find where IIS dies. They have so many problems that simply
    do not conform to the HTML specifications. The hard ones
    to spot are values that IIS doesn't want quoted and others
    that are. It seems that the ASP/vbasic processor isn't
    very consistant in its rules.

    I'm used to writing CGI applications on Unix and Windows.
    I'm trying to stay with tools that my friends can use/buy
    to maintain the site they've asked me to make. For now
    that is XP, IIS, ASP, vbasic, and a text editor.

    David
     
    David, Nov 16, 2006
    #3
  4. David wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have what should be a simple question but I can't find a reference
    > to the answer. I've been diging through the W3C and other sources
    > for the specifications on the <inpu> tag. Specifically, what is
    > the maximum recommended length that should be supported by the
    > name parameter?
    >
    > I've been doing some simple HTML Forms and decided to see what
    > ASP and various other scripting languages could do. Anyway, like
    > most novice users it didn't take me long to "shoot myself in the
    > foot". I've been tying with MS IIS v6 on Windows XP, vbasic, ASP,
    > and a rather simple task of reading some Jet Databases with some
    > web forms.
    >
    > Part of a form I created today took a while to diagnose the true
    > problem given the limited diagnostics on web projects. The line
    > in my HTML Form was something like the following:
    >
    > <INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="TwentyCharacterName1"
    > VALUE="TwentyCharacterName1"/>
    >
    > The complaint offered by the server (detail diagnostics on) was
    > that ['<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN""]' wasn't a valid value.


    It isn't a value at all, so this makes no sense. Can you give us the
    full, accurate diagnostic message? It would be much more effective than
    making people guess. Also, it would be very helpful for you to give a
    chunk of the code surrounding this tag. Just because this is where the
    parser first realized for certain that there was an error condition,
    doesn't mean that the cause of the error didn't begin earlier.
     
    Harlan Messinger, Nov 16, 2006
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?iso-8859-1?B?bW9vcJk=?=
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    845
    Roedy Green
    Jan 2, 2006
  2. JKop
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    904
  3. dhtapp
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    310
    jason r tibbetts
    Jan 16, 2004
  4. Ivan S

    Function name and input name property

    Ivan S, Oct 5, 2009, in forum: Javascript
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    91
    Ivan S
    Oct 6, 2009
  5. Ted Byers
    Replies:
    26
    Views:
    274
    GTalbot
    Oct 9, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page