quick question

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Edwin van der Vaart, Oct 6, 2004.

  1. Edwin van der Vaart, Oct 6, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Edwin van der Vaart, Oct 6, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Edwin van der Vaart

    Els Guest

    Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    > Edwin van der Vaart schreef:
    >> G'day,
    >>
    >> I'm working on a menu on http://www.evandervaart.nl/

    > --^--
    > Oops I mean at


    I keep looking, but I can't find the difference between this url
    and the one your previous post actually...

    >> My question is...
    >> Looks the menu (rollout) okay in different browsers under
    >> Windows?


    Look okay yes, Firebird shows the same as IE: the menu
    overlapping a bit into the content area. Opera shows it staying
    inside the brown background on the left. In which browser/OS did
    you look at it yourself? (So that we know what to compare it
    with)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    - Renato Russo -
    Now playing: Thunder - Dirty Love
     
    Els, Oct 6, 2004
    #3
  4. Els wrote:
    > Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Edwin van der Vaart schreef:
    >>
    >>>G'day,
    >>>
    >>>I'm working on a menu on http://www.evandervaart.nl/

    >>
    >> --^--
    >>Oops I mean at

    >
    >
    > I keep looking, but I can't find the difference between this url
    > and the one your previous post actually...
    >
    >
    >>>My question is...
    >>>Looks the menu (rollout) okay in different browsers under
    >>>Windows?

    >
    > Look okay yes, Firebird shows the same as IE: the menu
    > overlapping a bit into the content area. Opera shows it staying
    > inside the brown background on the left. In which browser/OS did
    > you look at it yourself? (So that we know what to compare it
    > with)


    I tested with Firefox 1.0PR and Galeon on a Linux/Mandrake 9.2
    If I know how to make a screen shot with the menu roll-out in Mandrake
    9.2, then I had shown you a picture. :-(
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.semi-conductor.nl/ Links to Semiconductors sites
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Under construction
     
    Edwin van der Vaart, Oct 7, 2004
    #4
  5. Edwin van der Vaart

    Els Guest

    Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >> Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Edwin van der Vaart schreef:
    >>>
    >>>>G'day,
    >>>>
    >>>>I'm working on a menu on http://www.evandervaart.nl/
    >>>
    >>> --^--
    >>>Oops I mean at

    >>
    >>
    >> I keep looking, but I can't find the difference between
    >> this url and the one your previous post actually...
    >>
    >>
    >>>>My question is...
    >>>>Looks the menu (rollout) okay in different browsers under
    >>>>Windows?

    >>
    >> Look okay yes, Firebird shows the same as IE: the menu
    >> overlapping a bit into the content area. Opera shows it
    >> staying inside the brown background on the left. In which
    >> browser/OS did you look at it yourself? (So that we know
    >> what to compare it with)

    >
    > I tested with Firefox 1.0PR and Galeon on a Linux/Mandrake
    > 9.2 If I know how to make a screen shot with the menu
    > roll-out in Mandrake 9.2, then I had shown you a picture.
    > :-(


    No need, the menu rollout looks okay in itself on both
    Firebird and IE and Opera, as well as in Firefox and Konqueror
    on Linux SuSE.

    Btw, I managed a Firefox on SuSE screenshot with menu folded
    out, don't know how it works in Mandrake, but Snapshot in SuSE
    can be configured to use a delay. Then first press the
    snapshot, then hover over the menu and wait for the flash ;-)

    http://locusmeus.com/temp/edwin.jpg

    See how the menu (before folding out) overlaps into the white
    area? It's like that on all browsers (as far as I tested that
    is), but not on Opera. Opera shows it inside the brown part.

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/
    Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    - Renato Russo -
     
    Els, Oct 7, 2004
    #5
  6. Els wrote:
    > Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Els wrote:
    >>
    >>>Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Edwin van der Vaart schreef:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>G'day,
    >>>>>
    >>>>>I'm working on a menu on http://www.evandervaart.nl/
    >>>>
    >>>> --^--
    >>>>Oops I mean at
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>I keep looking, but I can't find the difference between
    >>>this url and the one your previous post actually...
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>>My question is...
    >>>>>Looks the menu (rollout) okay in different browsers under
    >>>>>Windows?
    >>>
    >>>Look okay yes, Firebird shows the same as IE: the menu
    >>>overlapping a bit into the content area. Opera shows it
    >>>staying inside the brown background on the left. In which
    >>>browser/OS did you look at it yourself? (So that we know
    >>>what to compare it with)

    >>
    >>I tested with Firefox 1.0PR and Galeon on a Linux/Mandrake
    >>9.2 If I know how to make a screen shot with the menu
    >>roll-out in Mandrake 9.2, then I had shown you a picture.
    >>:-(

    >
    > No need, the menu rollout looks okay in itself on both
    > Firebird and IE and Opera, as well as in Firefox and Konqueror
    > on Linux SuSE.


    Thanx for testing the rollout.

    > Btw, I managed a Firefox on SuSE screenshot with menu folded
    > out, don't know how it works in Mandrake, but Snapshot in SuSE
    > can be configured to use a delay. Then first press the
    > snapshot, then hover over the menu and wait for the flash ;-)


    How if I may ask

    > http://locusmeus.com/temp/edwin.jpg
    >
    > See how the menu (before folding out) overlaps into the white
    > area? It's like that on all browsers (as far as I tested that
    > is), but not on Opera. Opera shows it inside the brown part.


    Sorry, I got a 404
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.semi-conductor.nl/ Links to Semiconductors sites
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Under construction
     
    Edwin van der Vaart, Oct 7, 2004
    #6
  7. Edwin van der Vaart

    Els Guest

    Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    >>>>>>I'm working on a menu on http://www.evandervaart.nl/


    [...]

    >>>I tested with Firefox 1.0PR and Galeon on a Linux/Mandrake
    >>>9.2 If I know how to make a screen shot with the menu
    >>>roll-out in Mandrake 9.2, then I had shown you a picture.
    >>>:-(


    [...]

    >> Btw, I managed a Firefox on SuSE screenshot with menu
    >> folded out, don't know how it works in Mandrake, but
    >> Snapshot in SuSE can be configured to use a delay. Then
    >> first press the snapshot, then hover over the menu and
    >> wait for the flash ;-)

    >
    > How if I may ask


    In the Snapshot window there's a little tickbox, saying delay,
    and just fill in 5 sec or something.

    [snip wrong url]

    > Sorry, I got a 404


    Cause I automatically wrote jpg, but Snapshots are png....
    http://locusmeus.com/temp/edwin.png should do it.


    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/
    Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    - Renato Russo -
     
    Els, Oct 7, 2004
    #7
  8. Els wrote:
    >
    > Btw, I managed a Firefox on SuSE screenshot with menu folded
    > out, don't know how it works in Mandrake, but Snapshot in SuSE
    > can be configured to use a delay. Then first press the
    > snapshot, then hover over the menu and wait for the flash ;-)


    Succeeded, I use a key combination.
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/news/test.png (215 KB)
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.semi-conductor.nl/ Links to Semiconductors sites
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Under construction
     
    Edwin van der Vaart, Oct 7, 2004
    #8
  9. Els wrote:
    >
    > [snip wrong url]
    >
    > Cause I automatically wrote jpg, but Snapshots are png....


    Every one can make a mistake.

    > http://locusmeus.com/temp/edwin.png should do it.


    I see. Your browser window is 1280x978 (full screen??).
    Okay, I need to figure that out later. I tested the page with a 800x600
    browser window.

    I think that I have to put on the left hand side a div with the wooden
    background image and put an empty div and the menu in it. On the right
    hand side the title and the content divs.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    A picture says more then a hundred words ;-)
     
    Edwin van der Vaart, Oct 7, 2004
    #9
  10. Edwin van der Vaart

    Els Guest

    Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    >> http://locusmeus.com/temp/edwin.png should do it.

    >
    > I see. Your browser window is 1280x978 (full screen??).


    No, full screen is 1280x1024 most of the time.

    > Okay, I need to figure that out later. I tested the page
    > with a 800x600 browser window.
    >
    > I think that I have to put on the left hand side a div with
    > the wooden background image and put an empty div and the
    > menu in it. On the right hand side the title and the
    > content divs.


    Just don't say 24% in #menu{width:24%}.
    Give it a width in em instead.

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/
    Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    - Renato Russo -
     
    Els, Oct 8, 2004
    #10
  11. Edwin van der Vaart, Oct 8, 2004
    #11
  12. Edwin van der Vaart

    Els Guest

    Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >>
    >> Just don't say 24% in #menu{width:24%}.
    >> Give it a width in em instead.

    >
    > Why in 'em' instead of '%' ?


    % is of the width of the window, means 24% of 1600px is much
    wider than 24% of 800px.

    em is relative to the font-size, not the window size.

    Means that unless the viewer changes their font-size, the width
    of the menu won't change when the window does.

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/
    Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    - Renato Russo -
     
    Els, Oct 8, 2004
    #12
  13. Els wrote:
    > Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Els wrote:
    >>
    >>>Just don't say 24% in #menu{width:24%}.
    >>>Give it a width in em instead.

    >>
    >>Why in 'em' instead of '%' ?

    >
    >
    > % is of the width of the window, means 24% of 1600px is much
    > wider than 24% of 800px.
    >
    > em is relative to the font-size, not the window size.
    >
    > Means that unless the viewer changes their font-size, the width
    > of the menu won't change when the window does.


    I never thought of that.
    Thank for the explanation.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.semi-conductor.nl/ Links to Semiconductors sites
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Under construction
     
    Edwin van der Vaart, Oct 8, 2004
    #13
  14. Edwin van der Vaart

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Edwin van der Vaart wrote:

    > Els wrote:
    >>
    >> Just don't say 24% in #menu{width:24%}.
    >> Give it a width in em instead.

    >
    > Why in 'em' instead of '%' ?


    For navigation sidebars you probably don't want them to be really giant on
    wide screens and really narrow on smaller screens. You probably want them
    to be about the same width no matter how wide the screen is.

    Ideally you might use something like:

    width: 25%;
    min-width: 10em;
    max-midth: 20em;

    i.e. Try to be 25%, except never get any narrower than 10em or wider than
    20em.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact
     
    Toby Inkster, Oct 8, 2004
    #14
  15. Toby Inkster wrote:
    > Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Els wrote:
    >>
    >>>Just don't say 24% in #menu{width:24%}.
    >>>Give it a width in em instead.

    >>
    >>Why in 'em' instead of '%' ?

    >
    >
    > For navigation sidebars you probably don't want them to be really giant on
    > wide screens and really narrow on smaller screens. You probably want them
    > to be about the same width no matter how wide the screen is.
    >
    > Ideally you might use something like:
    >
    > width: 25%;
    > min-width: 10em;
    > max-midth: 20em;
    >
    > i.e. Try to be 25%, except never get any narrower than 10em or wider than
    > 20em.


    Thanks, I'll try it.
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart
    http://www.semi-conductor.nl/ Links to Semiconductors sites
    http://www.evandervaart.nl/ Under construction
     
    Edwin van der Vaart, Oct 9, 2004
    #15
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. jack
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    956
  2. jack

    Quick perl question 2

    jack, Aug 25, 2003, in forum: Perl
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    951
  3. Jorell

    Quick Question

    Jorell, Aug 8, 2003, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    362
    Jorell
    Aug 8, 2003
  4. =?Utf-8?B?UnlhbiBTbWl0aA==?=

    Quick Question - Newby Question

    =?Utf-8?B?UnlhbiBTbWl0aA==?=, Feb 14, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    796
    Iain Norman
    Feb 16, 2005
  5. JKop
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    1,053
Loading...

Share This Page