    that's what it takes!

    Thanks !

    Ugly
    ugly_411, Dec 13, 2003

  2. Hi

    > I am in the process of writing a few tools for various astronomers
    > who use quckcams and webcams for star imaging. I wish to be able to
    > write up packages for generic linux, windows and Max panther. I have
    > found for windows the VideoCapture module, which I have had some
    > remote success with. I have seen much for Video4Linux for which I
    > have no experience (yet). SO my question is this:
    >
    > Does anyone know how to access the cameras (USB specifically) in any
    > of these operating systems? I don't mind writing a new interface if
    > that's what it takes!

    I just had a very pleasant encounter with webcams on linux - I tried to use
    gnomemeeting from a knoppix distribution, and while gnomeeting itself made
    some trouble, the camera was detected correctly and e.g. gqcam can be used
    to get images.

    I even wrote a simple python-script to search for attached video-devices
    using some translated C-code with ioctl-calls. Worked like a charm.

    For the QuickCam I had to patch and recompile the kernel, as the module is
    not in the tree, but then it worked as expected.

    Diez
    Diez B. Roggisch, Dec 13, 2003

  3. ugly_411

    PT Guest