    there a command in the GACUTIL or something similar that would clear out the
    cached dll and force everything to use the new copy of the dll?

    Thanks

    Tarren, Sep 28, 2005

  2. Tarren

    Scott Allen Guest

    One of the drawbacks of using a GAC'ed assembly is that the .dll will
    be locked by the ASP.NET worker process. I don't know of anyway to hot
    swap the file.

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

    Scott Allen, Sep 28, 2005

  3. Tarren

    Brock Allen Guest

    If this is a development-time nuisance, then yeah... this is a well known
    problem since AppDomains load strongly named assemblies domain neutral, which
    are not scoped to an AppDomain. If this is a live server then I'd wonder
    why you're replacing a GAC assembly with the exact same version. I'm assuming
    your situation is the former. Anyway, good description of the problem here:

    http://blogs.msdn.com/junfeng/archive/2004/08/05/208375.aspx

    -Brock
    DevelopMentor
    http://staff.develop.com/ballen