    They said it was going to be bad after everyone returned from the long
    holiday and late-summer vacations. I guess they were right...

    Skip

    Skip Montanaro, Sep 3, 2003

  2. (Skip Montanaro) writes:

    > (Posted via Google so some fraction of the c.l.py community sees
    > it. :)
    >
    > I noticed that python-related mail has been at best trickling in today,
    > so took a quick peek at mail.python.org. Since 4am today exim has
    > rejected over 15,000 messages because they contained executable
    > attachments or suspicious (sobig-style) subjects. I'm sure that's nothing
    > compared to sites like SourceForge or AOL, but it conspires to keep
    > useful mail from flowing through that machine.

    What happened to the firewall hack? I didn't think exim was supposed
    to be *seeing* the sobig stuff...

    Cheers,
    mwh

    --
    About the use of language: it is impossible to sharpen a
    pencil with a blunt axe. It is equally vain to try to do

    Michael Hudson, Sep 4, 2003

  3. Francois> I do not understand why the bad guys would have programmed
    Francois> such a deadline within their code, but I still wish this
    Francois> deadline story is true!

    The speculation I've read is that the author was paid (or is going to be
    paid) by spammers. The virus will propagate (and relay spam?) until the
    agreed upon deadline.

    Skip

    Skip Montanaro, Sep 4, 2003
  4. Skip Montanaro

    Aahz Guest

    In article <>,
    Francois Pinard <> wrote:

    >On the other hand, I've read somewhere (on the Symantec site, I think), t=
    >hat
    >at least some varieties of the virus will turn themselves off on Septembe=
    >9'th. I do not understand why the bad guys would have programmed such a
    >deadline within their code, but I still wish this deadline story is true!

    Actually, the date is Sept 10, and the presumption is that SoBig.G will
    be released on Sept 11....
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    with useful practice. --Aahz