    --
    Alex Combas
    http://noodlejunkie.blogspot.com/

    Alex Combas, Feb 11, 2006

  2. Alex Combas

    James Britt Guest

    Alex Combas wrote:
    > ZOMG! Ruby RSS feeds growing exponentially!
    >
    > Some type of PLANET aggragator is sorely needed, and quickly too.
    > We must quarantine all these malicious ruby bloggers before
    > they take over the entire Internet! They have shifty eyes!
    > They're planning to cross the streams, i can feel it, and we well
    > know how bad that would be.

    There are a few. Artima's Ruby Buzz is one.

    > There, I've said it.
    > If I unexpectedly die, know that it was no accident.

    Fowl play?

    The duck did it.

    But he left this clue:

    http://www.rubygarden.com/ruby?RssFeeds

    --
    James Britt

    "A principle or axiom is of no value without the rules for applying it."
    - Len Bullard

    James Britt, Feb 11, 2006

  3. Alex Combas

    Alex Combas Guest

    Alex Combas, Feb 11, 2006
  4. Alex Combas

    James Britt Guest

    Alex Combas wrote:

    > However I was really more hoping for http://planet.ruby-lang.org/

    There are two "Planet Ruby" sites, one in Japanese, one in English.

    I just can't think of their names.

    Now, if everyone with an RSS feed of some sort listed it on RubyGarden,
    it would be easier to find them.

    Just a thought.

    >>Fowl play?
    >>
    >>The duck did it.
    >>

    > we all have our bills to pay.. ;p

    Freakin' quacks ...
    --
    James Britt

    "Blanket statements are over-rated"

    James Britt, Feb 12, 2006
  5. D=C5=88a Nede=C4=BEa 12 Febru=C3=A1r 2006 02:56 James Britt nap=C3=ADsal:
    > Alex Combas wrote:
    > > However I was really more hoping for http://planet.ruby-lang.org/

    > There are two "Planet Ruby" sites, one in Japanese, one in English.
    >
    > I just can't think of their names.
    >
    > Now, if everyone with an RSS feed of some sort listed it on RubyGarden,
    > it would be easier to find them.
    >

    > Just a thought.
    >
    > >>Fowl play?
    > >>
    > >>The duck did it.

    > > we all have our bills to pay.. ;p

    > Freakin' quacks ...

    Right. I'm worried. Now comes the part where you knock on my door with a tr=
    out=20
    and a paddle?

    David Vallner

    David Vallner, Feb 12, 2006
  6. Alex Combas

    Dave Burt Guest

    James Britt wrote:
    > Now, if everyone with an RSS feed of some sort listed it on RubyGarden, it
    > would be easier to find them.

    Here? --> http://rubygarden.org/ruby?RssFeeds

    Cheers,
    Dave

    Dave Burt, Feb 12, 2006
  7. Alex Combas

    Guest

    Hi --

    On Sun, 12 Feb 2006, Dave Burt wrote:

    > James Britt wrote:
    >> Now, if everyone with an RSS feed of some sort listed it on RubyGarden, it
    >> would be easier to find them.

    > Here? --> http://rubygarden.org/ruby?RssFeeds

    James had already mentioned that URL. I think his latter point was
    just: people should use it :)

    David

    --
    David A. Black ()
    Ruby Power and Light (http://www.rubypowerandlight.com)

    "Ruby for Rails" chapters now available

    , Feb 12, 2006
  8. Alex Combas

    Alex Combas Guest

    On 2/12/06, <> wrote:
    > Hi --
    >
    > On Sun, 12 Feb 2006, Dave Burt wrote:
    >
    > > James Britt wrote:
    > >> Now, if everyone with an RSS feed of some sort listed it on RubyGarden=

    , it
    > >> would be easier to find them.

    > > Here? --> http://rubygarden.org/ruby?RssFeeds

    > James had already mentioned that URL. I think his latter point was
    > just: people should use it :)

    But my point was that if you go here http://rubygarden.org/
    and scroll down a bit you'll see that there is a list of over
    23 personal ruby blogs from developers. This is not even a very
    complete list. My personall rss feeds are almost as big
    and half of them are not listed on rubygarden.

    It would be really nice if we could get a http://planet.ruby-lang.org
    Look at Planet Gnome for an example http://planet.gnome.org

    For the time being artima has something similar listed here
    http://www.artima.com/buzz/community.jsp?forum=3D123

    But having a good url makes a world of difference (pun intentional).

    Alex Combas, Feb 12, 2006
  9. Alex Combas

    James Britt Guest

    Alex Combas wrote:
    > On 2/12/06, James Britt <> wrote:
    >
    >>>But my point was that if you go here http://rubygarden.org/
    >>>and scroll down a bit you'll see that there is a list of over
    >>>23 personal ruby blogs from developers. This is not even a very
    >>>complete list. My personall rss feeds are almost as big
    >>>and half of them are not listed on rubygarden.

    >>Which was part of the point I was trying to make.
    >>

    > Sorry I didn't mean to come across with any attitude but
    > I think on re-reading your post and my post I think I miss understood
    > you at first glance.
    >
    > First email of the day, some slack should be cut :)

    Oh, of course, and I didn't read any attitude into your post.

    But, now that you mention it ...

    :)

    >>>It would be really nice if we could get a http://planet.ruby-lang.org

    Except that such a URL suggests it is an "official" Ruby feed site, and
    all issues associated with that (what feeds are included, or left out,
    who decides this, is content restricted, and so on).

    >>>Look at Planet Gnome for an example http://planet.gnome.org

    >>How does such an aggregator acquire all the pertinent feeds? Is it any
    >>harder than maintaining a wiki page? Is there a reliable Google search
    >>that will return a list of Ruby RSS/Atom feeds?
    >>
    >>Perhaps I misunderstand how such "planet" feeds work, but I don't really
    >>want to read every post from every blogger who asserts some manner of
    >>Rubytude. Nor do I want someone else deciding what feeds are worthy of
    >>inclusion. I want to pick and choose, and add the feeds of choice to my Bloglines account.

    > That's entirely your choice, there will be nobody pointing
    > guns at you demanding that you view any web pages that
    > you don't want to, nor will any existing pages be deleted stopping
    > you from carrying on your current activities ;)

    Of course. Such sites may suit many people, but there is still a need
    for some reasonably updated list of feeds for people who want to
    assemble their own feed buffet. A Planet-type site, assuming it also
    listed its sources, could possibly do that, but it runs into something
    of the same problem as with the RubyGarden wiki page: How does it stay
    up-to-date? A core group of people scoring the Web for new sites? Site
    owners adding/amending their own sites? Some mix of these?

    The interesting thing about the RubyGarden page is that, to me, the
    sense of a shared culture in the Ruby community is getting stretched
    thinner and thinner. There are many people who first think of the wiki
    as the place to add or look for things, while there are many who may not
    even know the wiki exists. We end up with multiple places that are all
    attempting the same task. (I'm not entirely sure that is a bad thing,
    or if the alternatives are any better, but I can see problems with it).

    Pop quiz: Where do you go to see if some Ruby user group exists?

    > Its really quite a simple setup, the aggregate software
    > is hosted here, OSS free download, requires python to run though.
    > http://www.planetplanet.org/
    >
    > You need a web server to run the software obviously, and
    > an active maintainer is also necessary because you must
    > setup which blogs you want monitored, planet will then
    > catch new posts and.. well.. aggregate them into a website.
    > Yes, it should be setup to show which feeds it is monitoring,
    > as well as having google searchable rss links.

    I've no doubt someone has already written such a beast using Rails.
    Probably more than one person.

    The issue is not software, but maintenance. I tend to prefer a means of
    autodiscovery rather than rely on, or burden, any group of people to
    stay on top of things. (For example, a reasonably unique phrase in a
    site's metadata might make it easily locatable via search engines. )

    >>>For the time being artima has something similar listed here
    >>>http://www.artima.com/buzz/community.jsp?forum=123
    >>>
    >>>But having a good url makes a world of difference (pun intentional).

    >>Only if you know it.

    > Now google could quite easily return these as its top two results:
    > #1 http://www.artima.com/buzz/community.jsp?forum=123/
    > #2 http://planet.ruby-lang.org/
    >
    > Which do you think will get more clicks, further more, which _should_
    > be getting more clicks?

    Depends on the description and page title shown by the search engine.
    One nice thing about search engines is that catchy URLs are increasingly
    less important. But I get your point. (Though I wonder how many
    people know what the 'planet' part of the URL implies. It's not
    intrinsic to the word itself, so it, again, becomes a cultural matter.)

    > All kudos's to artima, but they're mainly
    > a java house iirc, so having a choice between being on a sub domain of
    > a java house, or having a specific ruby planet I would have to say the
    > latter is better.

    Artima hosts Ruby Code & Style and The C++ Journal. From discussions
    with Bill Venner, I would be reluctant to simply label Artima "mainly a
    Java house."

    > That's all I'm trying to say. I know its probably not going to happen
    > because I cant personally spend the time, and don't have the
    > resources or the permission to do so.

    This is an issue for many people, and why distributed resources are
    often a better option.

    James Britt, Feb 12, 2006
  10. Dave Cantrell, Feb 13, 2006
  11. Alex Combas

    James Britt Guest

    Re: Quickly before all is lost! (FOUND!)

    Dave Cantrell wrote:
    >>> However I was really more hoping for http://planet.ruby-lang.org/

    > google "planet ruby"
    > => http://planetruby.0x42.net/
    >
    > :)

    :(

    They have the wrong feed for my site.

    They'll end up getting *every* post I make, not only the Ruby ones.

    And their list of feeds is way too small.

    Oh well. The Web's a big place.

    --
    James Britt

    "In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly
    universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by
    uncertainty cannot be the truth."
    - R. Feynman

    James Britt, Feb 13, 2006
  12. Alex Combas

    Alex Combas Guest

    Alex Combas, Feb 13, 2006
  13. Re: Quickly before all is lost! (FOUND!)

    Alex Combas wrote:
    >> => http://planetruby.0x42.net/

    > You wouldnt happen to be, or at least know who
    > the maintainer is do you?

    No earthly idea. I just googled and it was there.

    Dave Cantrell, Feb 14, 2006