Quickstart Problem

Guest

I'm trying to use the Insert.aspx Quickstart and I'm getting a NULL pointer
exception. Any help?

<code>
<script language="VB" runat="server">
Dim myConnection As SqlConnection

Sub Page_Load(Src As Object, e As EventArgs)
' Create a connection to the SQL Server
myConnection = New SqlConnection("Data Source=SERVER;" _
& "Initial Catalog=database;User Id=user;Password=password;")
' Check whether this page is a postback. If it is not
' a postback, call a custom BindGrid function.
If Not IsPostBack Then
BindGrid()
End If
End Sub

' Implement an AddAsset_Click function. This function does some data
' validation on the input form and builds a parameterized command
containing
' all the fields of the input form. Then it executes this command to the
' database and tests (using the try command) whether the data was added.
' Finally, it rebinds the DataGrid to show the new data.
Sub AddAsset_Click(Sender As Object, e As EventArgs)
Dim myCommand As SqlCommand
Dim insertCmd As String
' Check the Cube and Computer Serial input values and make sure they
are not
' empty. If they are empty, show a message to the user and rebind the
DataGrid.
If (cube.Value = "" Or computer_serial.Value = "")
Message.InnerHtml = "ERROR: You MUST enter a Cube and Computer S/N "
Message.Style("color") = "red"
BindGrid()
Exit Sub
End If
' Build a SQL INSERT statement string for all the input-form
' field values.
insertCmd = "insert into myTable values (@cube, @monitor_type,
@monitor_serial, @acd, " _
& "@ext, @computer_type, @computer_serial, @hostname,
@second_comp_serial, @second_hostname);"
' Initialize the SqlCommand with the new SQL string.
myCommand = New SqlCommand(insertCmd, myConnection)

' Create new parameters for the SqlCommand object and
' initialize them to the input-form field values.

'Cube data
myCommand.Parameters.Add(New SqlParameter("@cube", _
SqlDbType.VarChar, 50))
myCommand.Parameters("@cube").Value = cube.Value

'Monitor Type data
myCommand.Parameters.Add(New SqlParameter("@monitor_type", _
SqlDbType.VarChar, 50))
myCommand.Parameters("@monitor_type").Value = monitor_type.Value

'Monitor Serial data
myCommand.Parameters.Add(New SqlParameter("@monitor_serial", _
SqlDbType.VarChar, 50))
myCommand.Parameters("@monitor_serial").Value = monitor_serial.Value

'ACD (position ID) data
myCommand.Parameters.Add(New SqlParameter("@acd", _
SqlDbType.VarChar, 4))
myCommand.Parameters("@acd").Value = acd.Value

'Extension data
myCommand.Parameters.Add(New SqlParameter("@ext", _
SqlDbType.VarChar, 12))
myCommand.Parameters("@ext").Value = ext.Value

'Computer Type data
myCommand.Parameters.Add(New SqlParameter("@computer_type", _
SqlDbType.VarChar, 20))
myCommand.Parameters("@computer_type").Value = computer_type.Value

'Computer Serial data
myCommand.Parameters.Add(New SqlParameter("@computer_serial", _
SqlDbType.VarChar, 50))
myCommand.Parameters("@computer_serial").Value = computer_serial.Value

'Hostname data
myCommand.Parameters.Add(New SqlParameter("@hostname", _
SqlDbType.VarChar, 50))
myCommand.Parameters("@hostname").Value = hostname.Value

'2nd Computer Serial data
myCommand.Parameters.Add(New SqlParameter("@second_comp_serial", _
SqlDbType.VarChar,50))
myCommand.Parameters("@second_comp_serial").Value =
second_comp_serial.Value

'2nd Hostname data
myCommand.Parameters.Add(New SqlParameter("@second_hostname", _
SqlDbType.VarChar,50))
myCommand.Parameters("@second_hostname").Value = second_hostname.Value

myCommand.Connection.Open() THIS IS WHERE THE EXCEPTION IS
' Test whether the new row can be added and display the
' appropriate message box to the user.
Try
myCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
Catch ex As SqlException
If ex.Number = 2627 Then
Message.InnerHtml = "ERROR: A record already exists with " _
& "the same Computer Serial Number"
Else
Message.InnerHtml = "ERROR: Could not add record, please " _
& "ensure the fields are correctly filled out"
Message.Style("color") = "red"
End If
End Try

myCommand.Connection.Close()
BindGrid()
End Sub

' BindGrid connects to the database and implements a SQL
' SELECT query to get all the data in the table
' of the database.
Sub BindGrid()
Dim myConnection As SqlConnection
Dim myCommand As SqlDataAdapter
' Create a connection to the "database" SQL Server
myConnection = New SqlConnection("data source=SERVER;" _
& "user id=user;password=password;initial catalog=Database")
' Connect to the SQL database using a SQL SELECT query to get all
' the data from the table.
myCommand = New SqlDataAdapter("SELECT * FROM myTable", _
myConnection)
' Create and fill a new DataSet.
Dim ds As DataSet = New DataSet()
myCommand.Fill(ds)
' Bind the DataGrid control to the DataSet.
dgInserted.DataSource = ds
dgInserted.DataBind()
End Sub
</script>
</code>

I'm getting a NULL pointer exception on:

myCommand.Connection.Open()

Stack Trace:

object.]
ASP.conInsert_aspx.AddAsset_Click(Object Sender, EventArgs e) in
C:\inventory\Insert.aspx:96
System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlInputButton.OnServerClick(EventArgs e)

System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlInputButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
sourceControl, String eventArgument)
System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()

Everything looks good to me. Most of the code is from the MSDN Quickstart
and I've just tweaked it to allow for my database.

AM I MISSING SOMETHING?

Pat

Eustice mabe something is wrong with your connectionString?
PAtrick