    Is it possible to have a .mov file on a site and have it played in a browser
    where the user does not have Quicktime installed? I googled, but all I saw
    was about embedding Quicktime in a web page.
    Shelly, Dec 3, 2007

  2. Shelly

    rf Guest

    "Shelly" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is it possible to have a .mov file on a site and have it played in a
    > browser where the user does not have Quicktime installed? I googled, but
    > all I saw was about embedding Quicktime in a web page.

    Metaphor:

    Is it possible to watch a TV movie when I don't have a TV?

    No.

    --
    Richard.
    rf, Dec 3, 2007

  3. Shelly

    Dylan Parry Guest

    rf wrote:

    >> Is it possible to have a .mov file on a site and have it played in a
    >> browser where the user does not have Quicktime installed?

    > Is it possible to watch a TV movie when I don't have a TV?

    Yes, using a receiver and a projector ;) Likewise, one can view
    Quicktime files if one has suitable codecs installed or an alternative
    media player - for example, I don't have Quicktime installed, but I do
    have codecs that let me view such files in Windows Media Player.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
    those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.
    Dylan Parry, Dec 3, 2007
  4. Shelly

    Shelly Guest

    Dylan Parry wrote:
    > rf wrote:
    >
    >>> Is it possible to have a .mov file on a site and have it played in a
    >>> browser where the user does not have Quicktime installed?

    >> Is it possible to watch a TV movie when I don't have a TV?

    > Yes, using a receiver and a projector ;) Likewise, one can view
    > Quicktime files if one has suitable codecs installed or an alternative
    > media player - for example, I don't have Quicktime installed, but I do
    > have codecs that let me view such files in Windows Media Player.

    I phrased it badly. What I meant to ask was "Is there something **I can
    install on the server** so that .mov files on the server that are included
    in a web page will play on the user's browser even if he doesn't have
    Quicktime on his machine.
    Shelly, Dec 3, 2007
  5. Shelly

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Shelly wrote:

    > I phrased it badly. What I meant to ask was "Is there something **I can
    > install on the server** so that .mov files on the server that are included
    > in a web page will play on the user's browser even if he doesn't have
    > Quicktime on his machine.

    Heh! In which case, I'd go with Richard's answer: no ;)

    Dylan Parry, Dec 3, 2007
  6. Shelly wrote:
    > Dylan Parry wrote:

    >>> Is it possible to watch a TV movie when I don't have a TV?

    >> Yes, using a receiver and a projector ;) Likewise, one can view
    >> Quicktime files if one has suitable codecs installed or an alternative
    >> media player - for example, I don't have Quicktime installed, but I do
    >> have codecs that let me view such files in Windows Media Player.

    I have QuicktimeAlternative open source...

    > I phrased it badly. What I meant to ask was "Is there something **I can
    > install on the server** so that .mov files on the server that are included
    > in a web page will play on the user's browser even if he doesn't have
    > Quicktime on his machine.

    No. The client must be configured to view ".mov" in some way such as
    with any other proprietary file format...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 3, 2007
  7. Shelly

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-12-03, Jonathan N. Little <> wrote:
    > Shelly wrote:
    >> Dylan Parry wrote:

    >>> Yes, using a receiver and a projector ;) Likewise, one can view
    >>> Quicktime files if one has suitable codecs installed or an alternative
    >>> media player - for example, I don't have Quicktime installed, but I do
    >>> have codecs that let me view such files in Windows Media Player.

    > I have QuicktimeAlternative open source...
    >>
    >> I phrased it badly. What I meant to ask was "Is there something **I can
    >> install on the server** so that .mov files on the server that are included
    >> in a web page will play on the user's browser even if he doesn't have
    >> Quicktime on his machine.

    > No. The client must be configured to view ".mov" in some way such as
    > with any other proprietary file format...

    Can't you do something with content negotiation?

    If the client doesn't say it accepts whatever media type .mov files are,
    then the server can perhaps be set up to give it the same movie but as
    another kind of file instead (.avi, .mpeg, etc.)?
    Ben C, Dec 3, 2007
  8. Ben C wrote:
    > On 2007-12-03, Jonathan N. Little <> wrote:
    >> Shelly wrote:

    >> I have QuicktimeAlternative open source...
    >>> I phrased it badly. What I meant to ask was "Is there something **I can
    >>> install on the server** so that .mov files on the server that are included
    >>> in a web page will play on the user's browser even if he doesn't have
    >>> Quicktime on his machine.

    >> No. The client must be configured to view ".mov" in some way such as
    >> with any other proprietary file format...

    > Can't you do something with content negotiation?
    >
    > If the client doesn't say it accepts whatever media type .mov files are,
    > then the server can perhaps be set up to give it the same movie but as
    > another kind of file instead (.avi, .mpeg, etc.)?

    That would have to be done client side, the server does not know nor
    should it, what you have installed on your computer. Maybe Ajax. But
    anyway whether it is MOV, AVI, MPEG the client is going to have to have
    some type of application or plugin in order to view the file...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 3, 2007
  9. Shelly

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ben C <> wrote:

    > On 2007-12-03, Jonathan N. Little <> wrote:
    > > Shelly wrote:

    > > I have QuicktimeAlternative open source...
    > >>
    > >> I phrased it badly. What I meant to ask was "Is there something **I can
    > >> install on the server** so that .mov files on the server that are included
    > >> in a web page will play on the user's browser even if he doesn't have
    > >> Quicktime on his machine.

    > > No. The client must be configured to view ".mov" in some way such as
    > > with any other proprietary file format...

    > Can't you do something with content negotiation?
    >
    > If the client doesn't say it accepts whatever media type .mov files are,
    > then the server can perhaps be set up to give it the same movie but as
    > another kind of file instead (.avi, .mpeg, etc.)?

    Indeed this is good advice. So many folks on Windows simply
    cannot see .mov movies, I had a case of a woman the other day
    saying she heard the soundtrack but not the visual of some film I
    made. She was half way there in her "content-negotiation"!

    The other thing I have done is give an explicit link with some
    blah about QT being free, to download and install the QT player.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 3, 2007
  10. Shelly

    dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > > If the client doesn't say it accepts whatever media type .mov files are,
    > > then the server can perhaps be set up to give it the same movie but as
    > > another kind of file instead (.avi, .mpeg, etc.)?

    > Indeed this is good advice.

    I did not read this right, it suggested (to me) providing another
    formatted film as alternative (I read JL's comment on this and
    realised)... know nothing about this technical server business...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 3, 2007
  11. Shelly

    Ben C Guest

    On 2007-12-03, Jonathan N. Little <> wrote:
    > Ben C wrote:
    >> On 2007-12-03, Jonathan N. Little <> wrote:
    >>> Shelly wrote:

    [...]
    >>> No. The client must be configured to view ".mov" in some way such as
    >>> with any other proprietary file format...

    >> Can't you do something with content negotiation?
    >>
    >> If the client doesn't say it accepts whatever media type .mov files are,
    >> then the server can perhaps be set up to give it the same movie but as
    >> another kind of file instead (.avi, .mpeg, etc.)?

    > That would have to be done client side, the server does not know nor
    > should it, what you have installed on your computer.

    The idea is the computer sends in its request headers the types of files
    it would prefer.

    So if the server sees Accept: video/quicktime then it gives the client
    the .mov file. If it doesn't, but it does see Accept: video/avi, then
    it delivers an avi instead, and that kind of thing.

    But I don't know if anyone uses this for videos or if browsers reliably
    send Accept headers for the plugins they have installed.

    > anyway whether it is MOV, AVI, MPEG the client is going to have to have
    > some type of application or plugin in order to view the file...

    Of course.
    Ben C, Dec 3, 2007
  12. Shelly

    cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Dec 3, 8:22 am, "Shelly" <> wrote:
    > Is it possible to have a .mov file on a site and have it played in a browser
    > where the user does not have Quicktime installed? I googled, but all I saw
    > was about embedding Quicktime in a web page.

    You can play .mov files on some other players than QT. Often the other
    player must have a codec installed to play a format it does not
    support out of the box. Both my WMP 11 and Real 11 beta players will
    play .mov. As delivered, WMP does not play many formats belonging to
    other player makers. However, there are many codecs you can download
    to make it play .flac, .ape, assorted mp4 formats, etc. Real will play
    several Microsoft formats as delivered as well as Real formats.
    However I am not for sure that the average casual computer user will
    even know about how to find codecs and install them to extend what a
    player will do on their computer. By searching Google with something
    like "WMP flac codec" you often can find a free codec to download
    fairly fast. But be careful what you download and read the fine print.
    A few free download sites are not so free when you find what "gifts"
    they will give you in addition to the one you want. It is safer to go
    to a group concerning the player of interest and asking there for a
    source of a good codec.
    cwdjrxyz, Dec 4, 2007