quirks mode and IE5 vs IE6

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9s_Sedano?=

Alan said:
Sure. But conversely, it may be important to remember that there will
be viewers using IE6 because _that's_ what's installed on their
machine. So designing a page "to" the bugs of IE5 (which might have
been corrected in later versions, but if the author doesn't have one
then he won't necessarily know that) is not the answer, either.

Unfortunately, it's a lot of fuss to maintain more than one version of
Win IE. In fact, due to security concerns we get into trouble if we
run old versions of IE on our network: updating to the latest MS
fixes isn't an option - it's a requirement, in this context.

Actually is very easy to have three versions of IE in the same Windows
installation (I have 5.01, 5.5 and 6.0). I had a page where it was
explained and had direct links to standalone IE5.01 and 5.5... I'll try
to find it and will post it later.

Brian

David said:
IE6 has fewer bugs

But, unfortunately, "fewer bugs" in an updated IE/Win does not mean
that it has a subset of bugs from earlier versions. Rather, it has
some of the earlier bugs, and some entirely new ones.

Jeff Thies

And it's important to remember that many viewers may be using IE5
because
browser.

Sure. But conversely, it may be important to remember that there will
be viewers using IE6 because _that's_ what's installed on their
machine. So designing a page "to" the bugs of IE5 (which might have
been corrected in later versions, but if the author doesn't have one
then he won't necessarily know that) is not the answer, either.

You always have flexibility in making legitimate styles.

If you know something is going to cause trouble, then don't use it. Child
selectors springs to mind. Don't design for the bugs, design so the bugs
never come into play. There's more than one way to do it, in Perl and HTML.

I really think if it works in Opera7, NS7.1 and Safari (Mac), you have a
pretty good case for it working in IE6, more so than it "working" in IE5
windows.

Jeff