quit scroll body in html 4.01

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Alejandro Vidal, Nov 19, 2004.

  1. Hi, I'm new in this forum. I'm from spain, so, sorry for my english. My
    problem is this:

    I'm trying quit the scroll body in my pages, for example for full flash
    pages.

    I dont want to use frames pages with noscroll.

    In some pages I used:

    this works in IE, but i think than it is not starndard and not recognised by
    other browsers.

    now I'm trying with css:

    this works when I delete the string: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML
    4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

    from the html file, but I don't want to do this, because I want my pages
    validates html 4.01 standard.

    IS <body style="overflow:hidden"> out of html 4.01 rules???

    Exists other way to quit the body scroll????

    Thank you

    Alex

    Alejandro Vidal, Nov 19, 2004

  2. Alejandro Vidal

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Alejandro Vidal wrote:
    > Hi, I'm new in this forum. I'm from spain, so, sorry for my english. My
    > problem is this:
    >
    > I'm trying quit the scroll body in my pages, for example for full flash
    > pages.
    >
    > I dont want to use frames pages with noscroll.
    >
    > In some pages I used:

    > this works in IE, but i think than it is not starndard and not recognised by
    > other browsers.
    >
    > now I'm trying with css:

    > this works when I delete the string: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML
    > 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    >
    > from the html file, but I don't want to do this, because I want my pages
    > validates html 4.01 standard.
    >
    > IS <body style="overflow:hidden"> out of html 4.01 rules???
    >
    > Exists other way to quit the body scroll????
    >
    > Thank you
    >

    > Alex

    You cannot prevent (stop) scrolling in the browser. You can only control
    scrolling in frames, iframes and divs (layers).

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Nov 19, 2004

  3. Alejandro Vidal

    Steve Pugh Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:05:43 +0000, SpaceGirl
    <> wrote:
    > Alejandro Vidal wrote:

    >> I'm trying quit the scroll body in my pages, for example for full flash
    >> pages.

    So you've removed all margins and padding with CSS and set the Flash movie
    to have 100% height and width? And now you want to remove the greyed out
    scrollbar?

    >> now I'm trying with css:
    >> this works when I delete the string: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC
    >> "-//W3C//DTD HTML
    >> 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    >> from the html file, but I don't want to do this, because I want my
    >> pages validates html 4.01 standard.

    When you removed the doctype you triggered quirks mode.
    With the doctype you trigger standards mode.

    One of the differences is that in standards mode the page scrollbars are
    attached to the html element, not to the body element.

    >> IS <body style="overflow:hidden"> out of html 4.01 rules???

    Yes. Under the HTML 4.01 <body style="rubbish"> is valid. The content of
    the style attribute can be almost anything.

    Under the CSS rules overflow: hidden; is valid.

    >> Exists other way to quit the body scroll????

    Add html {overflow: hidden;} to your style sheet.

    > You cannot prevent (stop) scrolling in the browser. You can only control
    > scrolling in frames, iframes and divs (layers).

    Really? So you can't apply the overflow property to a paragraph or a
    heading? I think you should test things a bit before making assertions.
    Whilst there are some annoying limitations (IE not supporting overflow on
    tbody is an obvious one) reality is a lot less restricted than you implied.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh, Nov 19, 2004
  4. Alejandro Vidal

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:
    > On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:05:43 +0000, SpaceGirl
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Alejandro Vidal wrote:

    >>> I'm trying quit the scroll body in my pages, for example for full flash
    >>> pages.

    > So you've removed all margins and padding with CSS and set the Flash
    > movie to have 100% height and width? And now you want to remove the
    > greyed out scrollbar?
    >
    >>> now I'm trying with css:
    >>> this works when I delete the string: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC
    >>> "-//W3C//DTD HTML
    >>> 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    >>> from the html file, but I don't want to do this, because I want my
    >>> pages validates html 4.01 standard.

    > When you removed the doctype you triggered quirks mode.
    > With the doctype you trigger standards mode.
    >
    > One of the differences is that in standards mode the page scrollbars
    > are attached to the html element, not to the body element.
    >
    >>> IS <body style="overflow:hidden"> out of html 4.01 rules???

    > Yes. Under the HTML 4.01 <body style="rubbish"> is valid. The content
    > of the style attribute can be almost anything.
    >
    > Under the CSS rules overflow: hidden; is valid.
    >
    >>> Exists other way to quit the body scroll????

    > Add html {overflow: hidden;} to your style sheet.
    >
    >> You cannot prevent (stop) scrolling in the browser. You can only
    >> control scrolling in frames, iframes and divs (layers).

    > Really? So you can't apply the overflow property to a paragraph or a
    > heading? I think you should test things a bit before making assertions.
    > Whilst there are some annoying limitations (IE not supporting overflow
    > on tbody is an obvious one) reality is a lot less restricted than you
    > implied.
    >
    > Steve

    You're right. For some reason I didn't think that worked in IE. I just
    tried it. Oops :)

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Nov 19, 2004
  5. Alejandro Vidal

    DU Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:
    > On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:05:43 +0000, SpaceGirl
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Alejandro Vidal wrote:

    >>> I'm trying quit the scroll body in my pages, for example for full flash
    >>> pages.

    > So you've removed all margins and padding with CSS and set the Flash
    > movie to have 100% height and width? And now you want to remove the
    > greyed out scrollbar?
    >
    >>> now I'm trying with css:
    >>> this works when I delete the string: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC
    >>> "-//W3C//DTD HTML
    >>> 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    >>> from the html file, but I don't want to do this, because I want my
    >>> pages validates html 4.01 standard.

    > When you removed the doctype you triggered quirks mode.
    > With the doctype you trigger standards mode.
    >
    > One of the differences is that in standards mode the page scrollbars
    > are attached to the html element, not to the body element.
    >
    >>> IS <body style="overflow:hidden"> out of html 4.01 rules???

    > Yes. Under the HTML 4.01 <body style="rubbish"> is valid. The content
    > of the style attribute can be almost anything.
    >
    > Under the CSS rules overflow: hidden; is valid.
    >
    >>> Exists other way to quit the body scroll????

    > Add html {overflow: hidden;} to your style sheet.
    >
    >> You cannot prevent (stop) scrolling in the browser. You can only
    >> control scrolling in frames, iframes and divs (layers).

    > Really?

    Really. But more should have been explained. With an user stylesheet,
    one can force the rendering of scrollbars when content overflows current
    window dimensions with

    html {overflow: auto !important;}
    body {overflow: visible !important;}

    I remember answering a question (can't recall if that was in this
    newsgroup or in comp.lang.javascript) on this and verified this
    carefully with MSIE 6 SP1a at the time.

    So you can't apply the overflow property to a paragraph or a
    > heading? I think you should test things a bit before making assertions.
    > Whilst there are some annoying limitations (IE not supporting overflow
    > on tbody is an obvious one) reality is a lot less restricted than you
    > implied.
    >
    > Steve

    DU
    --
    The site said to use Internet Explorer 5 or better... so I switched to
    Mozilla 1.7.3 :)

    DU, Nov 19, 2004
  6. I tried:

    html {
    overflow:hidden;
    }

    And it works, it is just I'm looking for.

    Thanks. I didn't find documentation about this.

    Alex

    Alejandro Vidal, Nov 19, 2004