    http://www.reportlab.org/preppy.html

    Can anyone compare/contrast these? Thanks.

    Bruce Eckel
    Bruce Eckel, Aug 5, 2004

  2. On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 10:55:19 -0600,
    Bruce Eckel <> wrote:
    > programmer"), but someone also suggested Preppy from Reportlabs:
    > http://www.reportlab.org/preppy.html

    Preppy looks like a templating library, not an arbitrary web framework, so
    the direct comparison is to Quixote's PTL. It should be straightforward to
    use Preppy templates from a Quixote handler function, something like:

    import preppy
    def _q_index (request):
    d = {'name':'amk', ...}
    m = preppy.getModule('template')
    return m.run(d)

    (The Quixote Wiki at http://www.quixote.ca/qx/ also includes examples
    showing Quixote with other templating libraries such as SimpleTAL. The tips
    on http://www.quixote.ca/qx/TemplatingWithZpt are probably relevant.)

    --amk
    A.M. Kuchling, Aug 5, 2004

  3. Bruce Eckel wrote:

    > I'm looking for something "closer to Python" to develop certain types
    > of web systems (rather than going away, forgetting, then coming back
    > and struggling with the Z-shaped learning curve for anything more than
    > trivial things in Zope). Based on the Quixote presentation at Pycon,
    > that looks quite interesting ("web development as if you were a Python
    > programmer"), but someone also suggested Preppy from Reportlabs:
    > http://www.reportlab.org/preppy.html
    >
    > Can anyone compare/contrast these? Thanks.

    If all you want is a templating system (Preppy is more of a templating
    system, not a Web framework), there's also EmPy:

    http://www.alcyone.com/software/empy/

    --
    __ Erik Max Francis && && http://www.alcyone.com/max/
    / \ San Jose, CA, USA && 37 20 N 121 53 W && AIM erikmaxfrancis
    Erik Max Francis, Aug 5, 2004
  4. Bruce Eckel

    Greg McClure Guest

    Don't forget Webware (http://www.webwareforpython.org)! It interfaces
    nicely with Cheetah (http://www.cheetahtemplate.org) and has an
    application server/servlet model of development which, for anyone
    experienced with Tomcat for example, is very easy to learn and get
    going with.

    I've developed two sites with this software and I'm pretty much in
    love, although since I haven't tried Quixote yet I can't
    compare/contrast them. Webware has an active mailing list though and
    the community is very responsive and helpful.

    Peace,
    GM
    Greg McClure, Aug 6, 2004
  5. Bruce Eckel

    Chris Stiles Guest

    Bruce Eckel <> writes:
    > I'm looking for something "closer to Python" to develop certain types
    > of web systems (rather than going away, forgetting, then coming back
    > and struggling with the Z-shaped learning curve for anything more than

    You may also care to look at Albatross:

    http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/albatross/

    Which is very lightweight.

    --