Quixote vs. Preppy

Bruce Eckel

I'm looking for something "closer to Python" to develop certain types
of web systems (rather than going away, forgetting, then coming back
and struggling with the Z-shaped learning curve for anything more than
trivial things in Zope). Based on the Quixote presentation at Pycon,
that looks quite interesting ("web development as if you were a Python
programmer"), but someone also suggested Preppy from Reportlabs:
http://www.reportlab.org/preppy.html

Can anyone compare/contrast these? Thanks.

Bruce Eckel

A.M. Kuchling

programmer"), but someone also suggested Preppy from Reportlabs:
http://www.reportlab.org/preppy.html

Preppy looks like a templating library, not an arbitrary web framework, so
the direct comparison is to Quixote's PTL. It should be straightforward to
use Preppy templates from a Quixote handler function, something like:

import preppy
def _q_index (request):
d = {'name':'amk', ...}
m = preppy.getModule('template')
return m.run(d)

(The Quixote Wiki at http://www.quixote.ca/qx/ also includes examples
showing Quixote with other templating libraries such as SimpleTAL. The tips
on http://www.quixote.ca/qx/TemplatingWithZpt are probably relevant.)

--amk

Erik Max Francis

Bruce said:
I'm looking for something "closer to Python" to develop certain types
of web systems (rather than going away, forgetting, then coming back
and struggling with the Z-shaped learning curve for anything more than
trivial things in Zope). Based on the Quixote presentation at Pycon,
that looks quite interesting ("web development as if you were a Python
programmer"), but someone also suggested Preppy from Reportlabs:
http://www.reportlab.org/preppy.html

Can anyone compare/contrast these? Thanks.

If all you want is a templating system (Preppy is more of a templating
system, not a Web framework), there's also EmPy:

http://www.alcyone.com/software/empy/

Greg McClure

Don't forget Webware (http://www.webwareforpython.org)! It interfaces
nicely with Cheetah (http://www.cheetahtemplate.org) and has an
application server/servlet model of development which, for anyone
experienced with Tomcat for example, is very easy to learn and get
going with.

I've developed two sites with this software and I'm pretty much in
love, although since I haven't tried Quixote yet I can't
compare/contrast them. Webware has an active mailing list though and
the community is very responsive and helpful.

Peace,
GM