[QUIZ] Hamurabi (#223)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Daniel Moore, Oct 31, 2009.

  1. Daniel Moore

    Daniel Moore Guest

    The three rules of Ruby Quiz:

    1. Please do not post any solutions or spoiler discussion for this
    quiz until 48 hours have elapsed from the time this message was
    sent.

    2. Support Ruby Quiz by submitting ideas and responses
    as often as you can.

    3. Enjoy!

    Suggestion: A [QUIZ] in the subject of emails about the problem
    helps everyone on Ruby Talk follow the discussion. Please reply to
    the original quiz message, if you can.

    RSS Feed: http://rubyquiz.strd6.com/quizzes.rss

    Suggestions?: http://rubyquiz.strd6.com/suggestions

    ## Hamurabi (#223)

    Boo Rubyists,

    This week's quiz was submitted by Martin DeMello[1]

    Back in the microcomputer age, there was a fascinating little game
    called Hamurabi (no, that isn't a typo - there was an eight character
    limit). The game mechanics were pretty simple: you were the ruler of a
    kingdom, and every year you had to decide what proportion of your
    grain to allocate to planting, and what proportion to feeding the
    people. The game engine would then set up the formulae, toss in a few
    random numbers and simulate your crop and population growth. For all
    its simplicity, though, it was a lot of fun to play, and oddly
    compulsive.

    The Wikipedia page[2] links to a couple of implementations in BASIC;
    pick one and reimplement it in Ruby.

    Extra credit: if someone can come up with a fun multiplayer version,
    I'll be impressed :)

    Have fun!

    [1]: http://zem.novylen.net
    [2]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamurabi

    --
    -Daniel
    http://rubyquiz.strd6.com

    Daniel Moore, Oct 31, 2009

  2. On Oct 31, 2009, at 6:23 PM, Daniel Moore wrote:

    > Back in the microcomputer age, there was a fascinating little game
    > called Hamurabi (no, that isn't a typo - there was an eight character
    > limit). The game mechanics were pretty simple: you were the ruler of a
    > kingdom, and every year you had to decide what proportion of your
    > grain to allocate to planting, and what proportion to feeding the
    > people. The game engine would then set up the formulae, toss in a few
    > random numbers and simulate your crop and population growth. For all
    > its simplicity, though, it was a lot of fun to play, and oddly
    > compulsive.
    >
    > The Wikipedia page[2] links to a couple of implementations in BASIC;
    > pick one and reimplement it in Ruby.

    Thanks for a very enjoyable quiz!

    I wrote a super minimal BASIC interpreter to avoid translating the
    code. (Yes, I am aware that's insane. I'll seek help.)

    Ironically, I think supporting that victory FOR loop at the very end
    was the hardest part. I still have bugs in that. :(

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Nov 1, 2009

  3. Daniel Moore

    Seebs Guest

    On 2009-11-01, James Edward Gray II <> wrote:
    > On Oct 31, 2009, at 6:23 PM, Daniel Moore wrote:
    >> Back in the microcomputer age, there was a fascinating little game
    >> called Hamurabi (no, that isn't a typo - there was an eight character
    >> limit). The game mechanics were pretty simple: you were the ruler of a
    >> kingdom, and every year you had to decide what proportion of your
    >> grain to allocate to planting, and what proportion to feeding the
    >> people. The game engine would then set up the formulae, toss in a few
    >> random numbers and simulate your crop and population growth. For all
    >> its simplicity, though, it was a lot of fun to play, and oddly
    >> compulsive.

    Oh, man! I remember that. There was one for the econ students at St.
    Olaf loooong ago, I actually wrote my own from scratch once. In mine,
    there were also woolen mills (or, in an early version, wollen mills --
    I speld ril gud as a kid), and the win condition was to have a given amount of
    land, plus enough bolts of fabric to make wedding dresses for your population,
    and enough people that you could have hundreds of happy families. (The
    question of whether wool was a good choice for a wedding dress was never
    answered).

    > I wrote a super minimal BASIC interpreter to avoid translating the
    > code. (Yes, I am aware that's insane. I'll seek help.)

    It's a good kind of crazy.

    -s

    Seebs, Nov 2, 2009

  4. > I wrote a super minimal BASIC interpreter to avoid translating the =20
    > code. (Yes=2C I am aware that's insane. I'll seek help.)

    Hah=2C ingenious!=20

    I really didn't want to go about translating that BASIC either=2C but inste=
    ad=2C I was just going to make my own version based on whatever I just read=
    about the game. Making a simple BASIC interpreter is so much cooler though=
    =2C it should be a ruby quiz in and of itself really (make it a DSL for ext=
    ra credit :p).

    BTW=2C does anybody have any ideas for how a (fun) multiplayer version of H=
    amurabi would look like? What I was thinking: Add in a model of free market=
    s to set price of land=2C so there would then be real trading between playe=
    rs. Then a smart player could influence prices through supply=2C to his opp=
    onents' detriment=2C if he could see the state of their kingdoms. And then =
    there could be all sorts of nice strategies and counter-strategies in the s=
    truggle to be the best. Also: quick (say 30 seconds or a minute at most)=
    =2C timed rounds=2C ending at round ten or so=2C at which point the winner =
    is announced=2C and the game is restarted. =20

    What do you guys think of that? Sound like any fun? A problem might be find=
    ing other players to actually play with live! In which case a slower=2C non=
    -timed version that emailed you when it was your turn might be more appropr=
    iate (and less of a time sucker).

    - Ehsan
    =20
    http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141665/direct/01/=

    Ehsanul Hoque, Nov 2, 2009
  5. On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 5:29 AM, James Edward Gray II
    <> wrote:

    > I wrote a super minimal BASIC interpreter to avoid translating the code.
    > =A0(Yes, I am aware that's insane. =A0I'll seek help.)

    Wow, I thought translating the code would be fairly simple, but it's a
    morass of gotos and one-letter variables. I think I'd have written the
    interpreter a lot quicker :) But now my stubborn side has kicked in
    and I'm going to finish the translation instead.

    martin

    Martin DeMello, Nov 2, 2009
  6. [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    BASIC wasn't that bad...

    it was horrible :)

    Just out of curiosity, which BASIC interpreter was the BASIC script you're
    trying to port written for?

    --
    William Kevin Manire
    Lead Developer

    William Manire, Nov 2, 2009
  7. On Nov 2, 2009, at 2:19 PM, Martin DeMello wrote:

    > On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 5:29 AM, James Edward Gray II
    > <> wrote:
    >>
    >> I wrote a super minimal BASIC interpreter to avoid translating the
    >> code.
    >> (Yes, I am aware that's insane. I'll seek help.)

    > Wow, I thought translating the code would be fairly simple, but it's a
    > morass of gotos and one-letter variables. I think I'd have written the
    > interpreter a lot quicker :) But now my stubborn side has kicked in
    > and I'm going to finish the translation instead.

    Yeah, I'm am looking forward to seeing your translated version so I
    can tell if my interpreter is even doing the right things. :)

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Nov 2, 2009
  8. "8k MICROSOFT BASIC", apparently :) It's the one here:
    http://www.dunnington.u-net.com/public/basicgames/HMRABI

    martin

    On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 2:01 AM, William Manire <> w=
    rote:

    Martin DeMello, Nov 2, 2009
  9. [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    Wow this looks old, almost like GWBasic.

    I would suggest flow charting this thing first, then creating it in Ruby
    from your chart rather than trying to translate it line for line.

    William Manire, Nov 2, 2009
  10. Re: Hamurabi (#223)

    Sorry I'm new to the list. Is it ok to post solutions at this point
    (Nov 1 10:30am to now +48hrs)?

    On Nov 3, 7:44=A0am, William Manire <> wrote:
    > Wow this looks old, almost like GWBasic.
    >
    > I would suggest flow charting this thing first, then creating it in Ruby
    > from your chart rather than trying to translate it line for line.
    >
    > 2009/11/2 Martin DeMello <>
    >

    > > "8k MICROSOFT BASIC", apparently :) It's the one here:
    > >http://www.dunnington.u-net.com/public/basicgames/HMRABI

    > > martin

    > > On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 2:01 AM, William Manire <=

    m>

    genericpenguin, Nov 3, 2009
  11. Re: Hamurabi (#223)

    On Nov 2, 2009, at 6:37 PM, genericpenguin wrote:

    > Sorry I'm new to the list. Is it ok to post solutions at this point
    > (Nov 1 10:30am to now +48hrs)?

    It sure is. Post away.

    And welcome to the list.

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Nov 3, 2009
  12. On Oct 31, 2009, at 6:23 PM, Daniel Moore wrote:

    > Back in the microcomputer age, there was a fascinating little game
    > called Hamurabi (no, that isn't a typo - there was an eight character
    > limit).

    Here's my sort-of solution (via Pastie because it's longish):

    http://pastie.textmate.org/680908

    I started cleaning it up a bit today, but ran out of time. There's
    still a lot more that could be done.

    It also has a pretty big bug in it. My simple stack solution for
    GOTO, GOSUB, and FOR doesn't really work. It looked like it worked
    most of the way through the code because, GOTO's and GOSUB's only
    appear on their own lines or at the end of a compound instruction.
    The FOR loop at the end isn't like that though, and my interpreter
    doesn't really run it 10 times because it cannot resume into the
    middle of a compound instruction line. Drat, foiled again.

    I did have a ton of fun playing with this problem. Thanks again to
    the organizers for a great problem!

    James Edward Gray II

    James Edward Gray II, Nov 3, 2009
  13. Re: Hamurabi (#223)

    Well, here goes. I did it the bad way (no flowcharts or anything) and
    it was pretty painful (meaning I regretted it later). I got it to the
    point where it is semi-reasonable but it's not very um, Rubyish. I
    ironed out all the showstopper bugs but I'm sure there's quite a few
    more. In any case it works after a fashion (compared the output to a
    running instance of http://www.calormen.com/applesoft/) and it doesn't
    make my eyes bleed (no guarantees on yours).

    http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1826667/hamurabi.rb

    I spent so much time on it that in the end I didn't clean up all the
    puts'. Sorry!

    genericpenguin, Nov 3, 2009
  14. Re: Hamurabi (#223)

    Hi, I did the hard-way too, but no so sure I regret :)

    In fact it was interesting how to transform jumps into methods.

    So here is my pastie:
    http://pastie.textmate.org/681199

    Still bugged, because I couldn't understand so much the part with planting
    seeds. (and why using the variable dead at that moment?)

    For the "for" loop at the end, what is it supposed to do? output 7.chr(bell)
    ?

    Benoit Daloze, Nov 3, 2009
  15. Daniel Moore

    Sven Schott Guest

    Re: Hamurabi (#223)

    Cool. Caveat for the non-bleed users: ruby1.9 required (1.8.6 here).

    I must admit, I didn't even try to understand certain design decisions. I
    basically followed flow and then cleaned up the code a little later. I
    believe the for loop was to play the system alert seven times (ASCII char
    7). I think. Sound effects on a PDP-8 terminal. :)

    Sven Schott, Nov 3, 2009
  16. On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Ehsanul Hoque <> wro=
    te:

    > BTW, does anybody have any ideas for how a (fun) multiplayer version of H=

    amurabi would look like? What I was thinking: Add in a model of free market=
    s to set price of land, so there would then be real trading between players=
    Then a smart player could influence prices through supply, to his opponen=
    ts' detriment, if he could see the state of their kingdoms. And then there =
    could be all sorts of nice strategies and counter-strategies in the struggl=
    e to be the best. =A0Also: quick (say 30 seconds or a minute at most), time=
    d rounds, ending at round ten or so, at which point the winner is announced=
    , and the game is restarted.

    > What do you guys think of that? Sound like any fun? A problem might be fi=

    nding other players to actually play with live! In which case a slower, non=
    -timed version that emailed you when it was your turn might be more appropr=
    iate (and less of a time sucker).

    You could also have disaffected people moving from city to city,
    adjusting the populations upward and downward respectively.

    martin

    Martin DeMello, Nov 3, 2009
  17. Re: Hamurabi (#223)

    On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Benoit Daloze <> wrote:
    > So here is my pastie:
    > http://pastie.textmate.org/681199
    >
    > Still bugged, because I couldn't understand so much the part with planting
    > seeds. (and why using the variable dead at that moment?)

    he reused some of the variables for two separate things. the seed
    planting bit was "calculate a random yield per acre, and see how many
    bushels you got after planting so many bushels".

    martin

    Martin DeMello, Nov 3, 2009
  18. [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    Great ideas.

    I suggest a new disaster that could happen to a kingdom as well.

    Public Healthcare

    William Manire, Nov 3, 2009

  19. >
    > > On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Ehsanul Hoque <>
    > >
    > > wrote:
    > > > BTW, does anybody have any ideas for how a (fun) multiplayer version of

    > > Hamurabi would look like? What I was thinking: Add in a model of free
    > > markets to set price of land, so there would then be real trading between
    > > players. Then a smart player could influence prices through supply, to
    > > his opponents' detriment, if he could see the state of their kingdoms.
    > > And then there could be all sorts of nice strategies and
    > > counter-strategies in the struggle to be the best. Also: quick (say 30
    > > seconds or a minute at most), timed rounds, ending at round ten or so, at
    > > which point the winner is announced, and the game is restarted.
    > >
    > > > What do you guys think of that? Sound like any fun? A problem might be

    > > finding other players to actually play with live! In which case a slower,
    > > non-timed version that emailed you when it was your turn might be more
    > > appropriate (and less of a time sucker).
    > >
    > > You could also have disaffected people moving from city to city,
    > > adjusting the populations upward and downward respectively.
    > >
    > > martin

    > Great ideas.
    >
    > I suggest a new disaster that could happen to a kingdom as well.
    >
    > Public Healthcare
    >
    > 2009/11/3 Martin DeMello <>

    Existing disaster is when there is no public responsibility for healthcare.
    When the world is full of pharisees who pass by on the other side.

    Human concern for others is something with a value beyond rubies!!

    David

    David Southwell, Nov 3, 2009
  20. [Note: parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

    ha ha ha, hard to argue against that point. Too bad our laws aren't written
    in Ruby.

    William Manire, Nov 3, 2009